Most easy-to-use, user-friendly OS - your thoughts?!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Masterton, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masterton

Masterton Registered Member

Hey we would like to install a non-Windows OS to troubleshoot a problem that we have on our computers. This should rule out the possibility of "malware infection".

Well but we never use any non-Windows OS so we would like to hear you advice on the best non-OS that we should try. We just use this OS one-off for some tests and file transfers. The OS:
    1. should be able to read FAT32 and NTFS partitions (NTFS is more important than FAT32)
    2. most easy-to-use and most user-friendly. Preferably we can learn how to use it within minutes
    I wonder whether I should burn a CD/DVD and boot from it, or install it in the drive. Advice. :D

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    my advice is to use a ubuntu live cd
    simply burn the .iso file to a disc and boot from the disc.

or mandriva another execellent linux distro.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  3. CentOS 5.3 live CD would probably be another good choice.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

You're asking the impossible. Such an OS doesn't exist.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Depending on what you are seeking to do, you could create a BartPE or LiveXP cd. NTFS access is there, plenty of plugins for differing needs. And most of all, it is clean, readonly and you don't have to learn a new OS.

Sul.

6. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I will echo lodore's advice and say Ubuntu as well. That's your best bet.

8. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I'd go with UBCD4Win.No necessity to learn anything new with a large array of diagnostic utilities to hand.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  9. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Hi,

I have been thinking about trying ubuntu for a long time...Should I install ubuntu on my computer or just use a live cd. Sorry,but I'm new to linux. :oops:

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

try the live cd to start with.
    what operating systems have you installed before?
    live cd's run the OS in memory. it will be alot slower than normal since its running from a cd which is very slow.
    see if you like the operating systenm before you think about installing it.

11. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

I'm using windows 7.
    I'm also thinking of trying ubuntu in Vmware. I'll try the live cd. Hope I won't be disappointed just because the performance is poor as it's running from a cd though.

12. Masterton

Windows seem to do the job - even gradma knows how to use it.
    Any way I just said Preferably, so it isn't the pre-requisite.
    Nice if possible. Still okay if not.

13. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Try Linux Mint. Its UI is quite similar to Win and its also a LiveCD.

14. Masterton

It's because we encountered problems when we transfer files to/from USB drives. The system either freezes or hangs. It's possible it's either malware infection or faulty drive.

As long as there is an option to rule out the malware possibility it would be fine. Is it possible my computer may get infected even if I boot from the read-only Windows LiveCD?

15. Masterton

Just don't take performance into account when you are trying in LiveCD.

By the way, I found a nice article which tries to compare Ubuntu Linux and Windows Vista: Ubuntu Linux Vs. Windows Vista: The Battle For Your Desktop -- Ubuntu Linux, Windows Vista

16. Masterton

It doesn't seem to aim for the ease of use. It's an enterprise class OS so I would guess it's a bit harder to adapt it.

17. Masterton

I'm using Ubuntu right now. Despite the scary statement Ubuntu turns out to be very easy to use. I get used to it within minutes. You can do simple tasks immediately (browsing, writing documents, viewing images, listening to music, playing games etc.) as many essential apps (all free and open source) have been installed. You have to spend time to install additional products if you are in Windows. Ubuntu has a merit over Windows.

I have tried the 3 Linux distro in UBCD and Damn Small Linux. None can boot up successfully. So Ubuntu booted successfully without any issues. It gives me the best impression. :thumb:

18. loli22

loli22 Registered Member

19. Masterton

What many other reasons? I would love to know. :-*
    The major problem of most Linux distro is it simply doesn't boot up successfully. :oops:

20. Try booting with the "noapic" and "nolapic" boot options.

(Press tab at the boot prompt, and add "noapic nolapic" (without quotes) to the resultant line of text.)

Edit: And if that doesn't work, add "noacpi".

21. Eice

Eice Registered Member

If that's all you're looking for, you could learn any one in minutes.

To truly learn the details and intricacies, and brush up on all the tips and tricks available, though, takes months if not years.

22. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

A Mac is the only real option.

23. Masterton

I should have stated it clearer. Well OS that can perform basic and day-to-day tasks without much learning.

Still only a handful of OS would achieve this, not any one.

Some Linux distro are difficult to setup. At least I encounter a few which can't even boot up. It's going to frustrate gradma a lot. Some installation procedures is really t337. This will scare grandma away too.

Well a user-friendly OS is meant to give you a good start. You wouldn't mind spending some more time to learn if you want to customize and tweak every bit of your OS, just like power users would play around in Windows Registry even it's still not user-friendly. You should have liked the new OS or you won't spend time learning all those details and tricks.

By the way I think ubuntu is suitable to be a grandma OS too.
    OS doesn't matter to a grandma as long as it can do what they want. Their needs are basically browsing, checking email, playing multimedia. :-*
    One thing I like ubuntu much is a pretty comprehensive set of apps are pre-installed so it's ready to go once up.
    What's more, we are worried much less about security issues, and we don't need to install tons of security products to protect grandma from doing stupid mistakes. :argh:
    Finally, it's free. MS Windows is not.

24. Masterton

Not an option because I believe (1) it can't be installed in non-Apple PC (2) it doesn't offer any LiveCD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.