More problems than I'd like with Backup & Sync

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by STV0726, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Could you let me know exactly what configuration options you're using? I'll add on days to your license if that's an issue, but let's first get it solved. I was speaking with Lucas earlier today and he knows it isn't resolved and we're still working on it.

2. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Uh...

Maxed out heuristics and identity shield

Firewall warn if infected or not (but I already tried disabling firewall)

Disallow non-admins from changing stuff and don't let them use add'l features (but it isn't wokring for admin either so..)

Behavior shield auto perform recommended actions

That's really it. Oh and no host modifications.

I just checked on another 2 additional of our PCs besides my netbook and their's is working.

Soooo irritating

Why couldn't this have happened to them they don't even use this function. :(

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

can i ask does your system that you are having issues with show up in yout protected pc's if you log in from another machine to your webroot account?

if it does what about trying to deactivate that pc than reinstall and then let the web console pick it back up again? i had a issue where it would not detect a pc and would also not let me log in and thats what i did and it solved it just a thought.

4. STV0726

That's been tried, as have been most things, hence my frustrated writing tone.

Thank you, though. I'm so sick of this issue.

5. PrevxHelp

Could you try leaving the heuristic settings at their defaults to see if that makes a difference? It could be silently blocking some operation in the background which is producing this incompatibility. I'm investigating the others but I don't think they should be relevant here, but if the heuristic settings don't fix it (after a reboot ideally), it may be worth testing the other options to try to rule them out.

Thanks!

6. STV0726

But wait, I'm not trying to be a pain, I swear...

But how can WSA be compatible with everything...except itself? o_O

I'll try the heuristic thing now. Keep in mind netbook has same confg with no issues. Perhaps are you suggesting that it is a two-part incompatibility? WSA doesn't like something on my desktop and the max heuristics combined are causing this?

7. STV0726

Nope, heuristicz on default plus reboot made no difference.

8. PrevxHelp

Could you try uninstalling, reinstalling but do not import your configuration options, just change the configuration options manually? I suspect this will indeed be the cause, and would explain why we haven't seen this elsewhere (as the Import/Export functionality is used by very few people).

9. STV0726

Joe,

I just did that with the latest stable release and it still didn't work at all.

Strangely, I did it with the beta .98 which Lucas said removes legacy SugarSynx code and it DID fix it momentarily, but when I MANUALLY (not imported) set my settings again, it broke again.

I just now went and reset everything to default from settings to system cleaner options and identity shield. Let's see if this fixes...

Nope didn't fix it. No idea why a fresh install with beta worked briefly.

10. PrevxHelp

Changing options at this point in your installation won't help. You'll need to uninstall, reboot, reinstall, and then manually change options without using the import feature at all. It looks like the code for importing configuration options is what is colliding here, as one of the internal configuration options within WSA is a flag telling it that it has installed Backup & Sync. If you're importing configuration options, it will therefore tell itself that it already installed it (as that's what it had done when you previously exported configuration options) and won't try to install it again, which would cause the problems you're seeing here.

The removal of the SugarSync code won't affect this (that was primarily just to reduce the size of the executable) but I'm almost certain this scenario is precisely why you're running into this problem. It's definitely fixable but will require a new release, and manually configuring it in the meantime should at least get you up and running.

In the event that there is something else here, I suggest leaving your configuration options on the defaults for a bit to test to see if it continues to work properly after the reinstallation.

11. STV0726

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I did NOT use import. I manually did a fresh install with the latest release and it dis nothing for me.

I did a fresh install with the beta. Then, I manually again set my settings. It broke after I manually set them.

So in summary:

Latest release fresh install/no setting import = issue still there

Latest beta fresh install with no import = seemed to work then I manually set my settings and it broke though I'm starting to suspect it had less to do with me setting stuff and more to do with time it sat installed on my PC, perhaps downloading errored crap from the cloud in the background.

12. PrevxHelp

Thanks - that helps. Could you send me a PM with the download link they sent you for the beta version? There are a few different versions of the Sync component which will be activated differently depending on which beta download link you've been given.

13. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

I love you guys! ^.^

This has been a very amusing thread to watch.

If I try to log into Backup & Sync with no internet connection and valid credentials, I get the invalid password message. (I consider this suboptimal, since it should preferably detect and indicate a lack of network rather than a lack of accurate credentials).

The escalation engineer couldn't find the login attempt in the wireshark logs.

I plug the network back in, snag over Wireshark, and I can easily see the DNS request for g-p4-scaleauth.webrootcloudav.com, which comes back as an AWS elb IP. Then the TLS connection it creates to that. So the data in Wireshark is pretty obvious when it's there.

Ergo, chances are something is blocking the network connection it's trying to make to log in.

14. zfactor

again not meaning to try to but in here. have you made sure your host file is clean of any additional lines? as well are using any kind of dns from anyone like norton or otherwise?

15. STV0726

Solution found...

Joe & I figured it out!

Software Restriction Policy was blocking WRData DLLs needed for sync from being called on.

Workaround: Add exemption for ProgramData/WRData.

I didn't think of this because:

1. Most programs don't execute from there, they do so from Program Files which is already exempt.

2. I thought WSA ran as admin anyway but turns out the GUI does not which is actually a good thing.

Now that am I using Sync, I cam say that I removed Live Mesh and had WSA take over when everytging was already in sync just for precautions.

I then gradually started changing folder names, adding and deleting files, and I can say now that WSA's sync appears very strong, as is the web console that goes with it. And the best part is, it is now 100% in house so it runs right with the super light WSA.

16. Muddy3

Muddy3 Registered Member

Great :D

The acid test for me now will be if file changes still continue to be synced across to your other computer in a few days’ time.

When I was trying out the new WSA in-house Backup & Sync back in late October, everything synced across to my other computer fine in the initial setup, only to find that a few days later changes I was making to files, and files I was adding, were not being updated to my second computer at all. This began with slower and slower updates (up to 12 hours to see the changes happening on second computer) and ended after a few days, as I said, with no updates at all.

If in, say, a week’s time all is still syncing OK—and swiftly—on your side, that would imply that my main bleat with WSA in-house Sync has been resolved.

Fingers crossed...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  17. PrevxHelp

:thumb: Thanks again for your tireless debugging and effort in solving this!!

18. zfactor

awesome you guys figured it out.

19. STV0726

You are most certainly welcome but you don't owe me any thanks...

I owe YOU, sir, the thanks for taking time out of your weekend to help me out.

Joe is the PC security miracle man and whatever he is paid I'm sure its not enough. :)

20. zfactor

lol i told webroot the same thing he deserves a large raise ... =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.