More AntiVir Updates!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Yes folks, more major component updates for all AntiVir products. :eek: Again, check their forums for details.

2. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I just tried a manual update with the PE Classic version and there were no updates available. It took just under 2 minutes to even connect to the server.

Can anybody confirm if these new updates are expected to fix the tray icon issue?

I would go to their forum, but I searched Google and found several AntiVir forums and have no idea which is actually official.

3. shek

shek Registered Member

the tray icon seems to be fixed at least for me.

Take a look at here

4. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

My ailing computer is not very happy with lates updates, past week.
    I got the update last friday 6.37.00.19, then i tried another update and in the midst of this I got a reboot. So no other update for me PE Classic that day.
    Even though they were reported in this site:
    http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/vdfhistory/index.html

Today, monday I got the automatic update 6.37.00.28.
    No idea if the other incremental updates ever arrived in the same package, though it was pretty large.

Then just before posting here, I tried another '"Start update". My kerio 2.1.5 told some Antivirus program had changed in the middle of the arriving update. So I went to give password to accept the change, but a reboot again before i could type it and accept the new updated rule..
    It tells me I have now 6.37.00.33.

I find it bad that program updates cause me reboots when trying to update the antivirus database. Maybe something with running Cyberhawk sametime, who knows. I just don'¨t feel very safe now with my new Antivirus instead what i was with Avast. How know to if all incremental updates in between are applied etc. ?

EDIT
    My umbrella icon has been working ok though past week.

5. shek

shek Registered Member

6. Jarmo P

Yes, but it is an incremental update.
    Is there some mechanism to also update the in between ones. To bne sure they are I mean?
    Plus my kerio still has not updated the md5 change that happened with the reboot. It happened in the midst of that update o_O If one gets reboots in the update, how can one be ever sure?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  7. shek

shek Registered Member

the incremental update is only for virus definition. Components updates, if available, usually come with vdf update. If you could get the latest vdf, then you're up to date.

yes, today's update includes several component updates, which requires a reboot. But they are avscan.exe and avwinll.dll, not the update.exe. Therefore, there is no need to change md5 for the update component.

8. Jarmo P

So far I have update.exe, avnotify.exe, avcenter.exe and avgnt.exe that all have asked for internet access.
    And then this updated one amongst them I was not able to type a password to add a changed rule allowance.
    Agreed, some of them might have only ask for localhost access and not internet access in itself and I have disabled my global loopback rule.

9. shek

shek Registered Member

I only allow update.exe for the internet access in addition to the local access.

10. Jarmo P

Mine are update.exe and avnotify.exe.
    The other 2 are on localhost (127.0.0.1) So I guess one of them changed and all should be ok :p

That brings also to my mind that one should allow global ocalhost loopback rule, since when those applications using it changes, it brings just added bother.

11. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Last Tuesday's 'Build 217' Update requested a reboot, the third time this year. When I see a 'Reboot Request, I put it aside and first close other applications befroe [Ok] to ReBoot.

My ZoneAlarm made the requests for the two changed files following that ReBoot.

Todays second Update also wanted a reboot which looked good until My Computer "Explorer" froze. (No clue whyo_O)

Three cold boots 10+ minutes each, two successful and a Safe boot with AV Scan (nothing found) and all is finally well now with the booting. Another Update and now the icon is gone and that never happened before.. Explorer works fine and a click on avgnt.exe restored the icon.

12. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Jarmo: there is no such thing like "missing an update" in between. As soon as you do update, you get all the changes. Anything else would be stupid.

13. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I beg to differ, I've just done a clean install of the whole system.
    AntiVir did the first big update successfully.
    Then, with a tiny signature update it was killed once again.

Not to mention the fact that avguard.exe is running at 29MB now which is different from what I am accustomed to seeing from that process.

Does anybody know if I am still protected when the tray icon is gone?

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lots and lots of problem with antivir at the moment, the number of threads with problems are terrible,

but i think eicar.com will show you if it is still running.

15. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Yes, that did work. Thank you for the suggestion. Hopefully they get everything straightened out soon, I'm confident that they will.

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Same here. With a 1 file update to-day, I lost the tray icon for the first time ever!
    Just check Task Manager; avguard.exe is still running; 46MB here with WinXP.

17. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Same problems here, sorry to say. Anyone beginning to lose a bit of confidence in AntiVir/Avira? Even though this av app recognizes the test file after "odd" updates, could tere be something that it is missing?

Dave

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Not yet. My tray icon came back after a reboot and there would have to be persistent problems over a period of time for me to consider dropping this AV. One missed tray icon in over 6 months of use is no cause for concern here.

19. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

You're right, Blackcat. I do have a shortcut to my tray icon, and perhaps I should calm down and use it.

Dave

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You will be fine.

21. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

i think it is reidiculous that people will ditch AntiVir just becasue the tray icon is missing. Just use the shortcut on your desktop or the one in program files. Then you can check it it is running. I really do not have any doubts with Avira. My icon disappears randomly every several months, not during major updates (don't know why) but the guard is still runnning. and I have no trouble updating during major updates unlike others.

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dissagree, the icon to most people will be a warning that not all components are running, if it dissappears, i suspect loads will reboot their machine trying to get it loaded again.

whether its running or not, you still want the icon there... i understand its not needed as its still running in the background, but most people wont know if it is, people panic... its a panic-world. :blink:

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So if you loose 1 wheel on car it's ok because you still have 3 ?
    If program doesn't work as expected, thats a bad sign. It's not about how easy is to make a shortcut for it and how it doesn't bother you. Program was not meant to do that and should be fixed.

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no, but you cant say the icon not being there is a good thing.

just because YOU know its still running, doesnt mean the other 15 million people do, or however many.

25. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I still do not see why people cannot tell if something is running. Even when i was first introduced to computers I could tell if my antivirus was running or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.