Mix of Programs to Protect my PC.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IsLNdbOi, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IsLNdbOi

IsLNdbOi Registered Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I have some questions about mixing different programs to protect my PC. I was previously running Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier, but got tired of it as it was just a system hog. After uninstalling it, I noticed that my PC ran alot "smoother". It was just more responsive and "snappy" when multitasking, etc.. I still haven't found a replacement AV.

I really like the Utilities in SystemWorks such as WinDoctor. Is it ok to install just the Utilities from SystemWorks 2005 Premiere, then ZoneAlarm Security Suite or ZoneAlarm Pro., and NOD32? I want the utilities from SystemWorks to keep my system running smoothly, ZoneAlarm for the firewall and NOD32 for the AV.

Also, it looks like ZoneAlarm Security Suite has a built in AV. Would that conflict with NOD32? If so, I would get ZoneAlarm Pro. instead.

Sorry for so many questions, but thanks for any help.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

IsLNdbOi,

I've moved your post to the other AV forum as it will likely get more comment here.

I'm not sure of the install constraints of the NSW 2005, so I'll let someone handle that. I assume it is very doable, just don't know if there is a preferred approach - simple component uninstall vs. total uninstall/clean followed by selective component install. I faced a somewhat similar question a couple of years ago when I dropped NSW 2004. A decent registry tool is all you need. There are a lot available. Norton's is still fine (my opinion), but other options exist.

Check out the firewall forum for options there. ZA is a standard for many. I use Outpost Pro. There's a load of options available here, although I tend to side on the router first (even if one 1 PC), then software firewall if you want outbound communication control - which I treat as an optional layer.

If you were to go for the ZA Suite, the AV of that product would conflict with NOD32 if the active monitoring components of both were active at the same time. Not sure of configuration options for the ZA based AV. You can adjust NOD32's to disable realtime monitoring, although if you did that it could minimize one of the objectives of using NOD32 - fast responsive AV. By the way, I'm also a NOD32 owner - excellent product. I list my own complement of tools in this thread. I tend to view router/AV/AT as a needed layer, process/registry control a useful addon, and a software firewall as a reasonable optional component although the relative needs of any component strong depends on what you use the PC for.

As for addiitonal questions, ask away!

Blue

3. IsLNdbOi

Thanks BlueZannetti. I've purchased NOD32. I have a question though. When I tried the trial, it was v2.12.4. This one I just purchased from Eset's website is v2.12.3 though. What's up with that? Anyway, I first learned of NOD32 a couple of days ago and really liked it the first time I tried it. I won't miss NAV.

I also purchased ZoneAlarm Pro. (version without the AV). I think it's pretty easy to use and I prefer it over other firewalls I've tried. Overall, this setup works pretty well for me.

I still haven't reinstalled the Utilites from SystemWorks 2005. The only thing I really need is WinDoctor. I have tried other registry / system cleanup programs, but ended up totally messing up Windows. WinDoctor I like because in the long time I've been using it, it has never messed up Windows.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'm not sure on the 2.12.3 vs. 2.12.4 question, I did notice this brief thread, but that's it.

I'm currently running the 2.5 beta version - which is very nice in my estimation - appears very solid at this point.

You have the right approach on ZA and WinDoctor - if they work for you, use them and don't give it a second thought. Until recently, I occasionally popped a copy of my NSW 2002 into the CD of my work laptop to run Windoctor from the CD. Since I converted to a locked XP machine, I can't do that, but I do understand the loyalty - it is a very decent piece of software.

Blue

5. IsLNdbOi

The only thing I don't like about just installing WinDoctor is that all the links in the program to all the other Norton apps. are still there. I hate having useless buttons! :p

Anyway, I just read up on some other firewalls and it seems people like Sygate and Kerio. I think I'll try those too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.