Missing dll and Spyware Guard won't run

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Cacique, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cacique

Cacique Registered Member

Hi folks

I downloaded the installer for Spyware Guard and when I ran it, it complained of a missing dll on my system:

c:\Progra~1\Symantec\s32evnt1.dll

I used to have Symantec's Norton AV 2005 free trial on my system but have removed it.

The SG installer gave me the option to Cancel or Continue and I chose continue and the installation seemed to complete successfully. However, afterwards I couldn't run the program. When I try to run it, the mouse pointer turns to an hourglass for a few seconds, then returns to a mouse pointer again, and nothing loads - nothing in task bar, or system tray.

Any advice appreciated - I'd really like to try the program.

Thanks.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Cacique

Welcome to the forums.

If it were me and I got that message, I would try a registry cleaner and get rid of the entries by Symantec. While this may not be the problem directly, it may help.
    As always, cleaning the registry is touchy so be sure to backup any removals if you decide to do this.

Regseeker

3. snowboard

snowboard Registered Member

Do the following.

1. Open Add/Remove programs (click on "Start" in the lower left corner of your screen, then on "Control Panel", and finally on 'Add/Remove Programs")

2. Search for the SpywareGuard entry and uninstall/remove it

3. Reboot

4. Then clean out your registry(optional but probably should)

5. Before running any other programs, download a new copy of SpywareGuard

6. Run the installer.

Regards,

snowboard

4. Cacique

I decided to go into the registry and try to clean up the residue from Symantec.

I also did a google search on the s32evnt1.dll file and saw other people complaining that this was causing them problems after uninstalling Norton AV. The one thread I saw on another forum, someone was instructed to remove any registry values referencing s32evnt1.dll.

http://www.forum4designers.com/archive3-2005-1-175411.html

I followed that advice and now when I try to install a new software on my computer, I get the following error message:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro\VirtualDeviceDrivers. VDD. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Can anyone tell me how to restore my Virtual Device Driver format in the registry?

Thank-you.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do a search on google

for:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

6. Cacique

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I googled it and found this article on the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254914&Product=win20

I have followed the instructions but the error persists.

I understand this is a forum for JavaCool Software and not for fixing corrupted registries, so I can take this elsewhere, or, if you guys don't mind, I can use all the help I can get. I would like to eventually get SpywareGuard to run :) Just lemme know.

7. Cacique

OK, I was able to fix the VDD error. I'm not sure exactly why, but almost a week after replacing the registry keys, the error has disappeared. :)

I have tried to reinstall SpywareGuard and on first run I download the new definitions file, the program runs for a few seconds, and then reports the following error:

>Run-time error '-2147024770 (8007007e)':

>Automation error
    >The specified module could not be found.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled but the error persists. I've even downloaded a new copy of the install program incase mine was corrupt, but I still get this same error message.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks!

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Not sure if it will help but i searched and found this,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=49820

snowbound

9. Cacique

Yes, I dug back through those old threads and found some instructions to register a dll.

By running 'regsvr32 scrrun.dll' and rebooting, SpywareGuard is running in the system tray for almost 40 minutes now. Before, it would crash in less than a minute. I'm hoping that the problem is now fixed.

Thanks for all the help! :D

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Glad we could help. ;) :D

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.