miscellaneous questions

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dbug, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbug

dbug Registered Member

I have installed the nod32 trial version a few days ago and have a few questions about some setup options. (I already read the sticky thread for blackspears settings. However, I prefer a setup that allows for more user interaction.)

1. Is it sufficient to set AMON to scan only files with those extensions from the list (and extensionless files) instead of all files? Or would that actually be a bad idea? I have set it that way to prevent it from scanning large movie files and generally improve system performance by not scanning harmless filetypes.

2. I have enabled IMON and set it to scan all files. Now because I also set AMON to scan extensionless files, it will scan all the files in my browsers cache folder (using Firefox). So in the end those files are getting scanned twice: first by IMON when downloading and then also by AMON when saved to the browser cache. This appears to be a bit redundant, so I decided to exclude the browser cache from AMON. Does this pose any problems or risks?

3. The IMON setup has the option to specify the ports that are used for HTTP. But there's also an option to "automatically detect HTTP communication" on any other port as well. When enabling the second option, should I still manually specify the ports that are being used for HTTP connections or is that unnecessary?

Thanks in advance.
    dbug

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello ! Blackspear's settings are great . I recommend you to leave them defaulf but to use Blackspear's settings for NOD32 (on-demans scanner) and for IMON . Blackspear's settings for these components will provide you with more protection because these modules will work better with his advice

NOD32 is different from every other antivirus and it is the fastest antivirus in the world. Make NOD32 scan all files and I can guarantee this will not slow down your PC performance but will make your computer more secure .

No , it is not redundant , leave them default for more security . IMON works on early Winsock level and because of this it can prevent things from being downloading but in this level it cannot scan encrupted stuff where as AMON can scan everything and if you download encrupted infected file nothing will catch it in real time because you excluded it :p

You should leave the default and as BS's settings . All standart HTTP/POP3 ports are added and when the second is enabled it will automatically detect HTTP traffic with other ports and no need to add more ports

No problem , you are welcome!:D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I'm curious, have you noticed any sort of performance difference by making these changes to NOD32's settings?

NOD32 is designed to provide a high degree of security out-of-the-box. If the file types you are working with do not have any security vulnerabilities (or, more specifically, the applications with which they are manipulated dont have them), then it should be fairly safe to not scan them.

If IMON is configured to check certain ports for HTTP traffic it will always monitor those ports to look for HTTP traffic. If IMON is configured to check all ports for HTTP traffic, it willl monitor all of the ports to see if HTTP traffic occurs on them.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.