Minor Feature Request for Next version of LNS

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by aria1946, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aria1946

aria1946 Registered Member

Could the next version of LNS be constructed such that it's a little more difficult to completely close the program - possibly a configuration option to require File=>Exit and/or make the "x" default to minimizing instead of closing the app altogether.

Hope this makes sense...

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

That is exactly something I’ve been waiting to see in Look ‘n’ Stop, I mean have an option at minimum for Look ‘n’ Stop to minimize upon clicking the big window X...

So yes it makes perfect sense....

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

There is already an option to avoid Look 'n' Stop exiting completely when the X is pressed.
    Isn't it sufficient ?

Frederic

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  4. Phant0m

The user shouldn’t be prompted with a question dialog though

5. aria1946

99% of the time, clicking the X is not something we want to do, and the confirmation is but another annoyance. With "smart" mice these days, one can close a window very quickly before realizing what has happened.

All I'm asking for is an option that would make clicking the "X" minimize the application with no further prompting. In other words - make it as difficult to accidentally exit the program as possible.

I realize that there is no "file" menu from which to conveniently hang an "exit" command, so there may be more work to implementing this than meets the non-programmer eye... :)

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

These are two different things:
    1- avoid accidentally exit the program => there is yet an option to avoid that
    2- avoid the (very lite I think) annoyance of one only extra clicking (which minimizes)

Frederic

7. aria1946

<sigh>

All I am asking for is a configuration option to make clicking the "X" minimize the window instead of prompting to close the entire program.

I have a Logitech G7 laser mouse with the thumb key configured to "Close application". On a few occasions, LNS has apparently had focus for some reason, even though no window was visible. The mouse pointer moves to the default position, which in this case happens to be "yes", so when closing windows quickly I have on more than one occasion accidentally shut down LNS.

It is possible to completely close the application by right-clicking the tray icon. I would like for that to be the ONLY way to terminate the program.

Tom

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

I simply didn't realize with the previous posts that even with the confirmation dialog box there could be some cases where Look 'n' Stop is accidentally closed.
    Now, I have understood ;)

So, if the default is not "Yes" for the confirmation dialog box, it would solve your issue as well.

Frederic

9. aria1946

The simplest solution would be to make it impossible to completely terminate the program other than by right-clicking on the tray icon and selecting "Exit".

Tom

10. Phant0m

I really don’t understand the reluctance for this quick implementation, many other programs offers this choice to their users, many people has became familiar to this way of works and Look ‘n’ Stop product should go with the flow…

11. aria1946

Exactly.

A firewall is IMO a critical piece of system software, so it should be as immune to user intervention as possible except in those situations where the user wishes to deliberately interact with the program.

Tom

12. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Sorry to insist but you are mixing several aspects:
    1- The x button closing the application
    2- The annoyance it could causes because a new question is asked to the user
    3- the fact even with this extra dialog box Look 'n' Stop could be closed accidentally because of a mouse special behaviour (which could be annoying annyway in some other similar circumstances).

The 1- is already addressed by Look 'n' Stop.

I don't want to change suddenly the current and default behaviour of this standard windows button. Otherwise some other users may also complaint. So it means a new option (again) would be required to have everyone happy.

On my side, I really don't like applications that are not closing when I press the x (typically Skype). I find this annoying as well.

Frederic

13. aria1946

And here I was thinking that we'd finally convinced you... :-(

There are many applications that don't terminate when you click on the X - MSN Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, ICQ, and a dozen or so others that I use here and have used for quite some time.

You're obviously annoyed by applications that don't terminate when the X is clicked.

And you appear not to be listening to what your paid customers are saying. I'm not the only one who wants LNS's behavior to change. Why be so obstinate about it?

Tom

14. Phant0m

Hi Frederic

You are right, to change the default behaviour would be wrong and it isn’t what I was asking for… I was asking for options…

15. aria1946

Exactly - a configuration option to disable the default behavior of clicking the "X" is all we're asking for.

16. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

I disagree with this statement.
    I actually think about the paid customers that would like to still have Look 'n' Stop exiting by pressing the X.
    It is a real concern to me to have the application behaviour not changing too much with an update.

Frederic

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  17. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

This is not what you were proposing just above:
    This is why I've answered that an option would be actually required.
    But I didn't say I won't introduce it so far.

What I understand, is this option will simply solve a specific issue you had with your mouse (my 3- above).

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.