minimalist security setup - LOWEST resource usage

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by name, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. name

name Guest

Can you please give me a minimalist security setup that I would need for using my PC on the internet. It is a AMD 600 meg with 64 meg of ram (might be 128 though).

I need lowest resource usage as possible, must be FREE whilst not compromising my PC online but it should also not halt my interbet surfung.

Thanks in advance

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    64Mb means no XP.
    So what OS are you gonna use?
    That will determine what you might be able to use.
    Mrk

3. lupus

lupus Registered Member

Up-to-date XP with a LimitedUserAccount, Firefox w/ noscript extension. Good to go.

4. name

name Guest

sorry it's Windows ME i'm afraid

5. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I'd suggest browsing with Opera or Firefox, use CHX-I for a free firewall, and use a free AV for on-demand scanning only.

Edit: A router that does firewalling could be used instead of a software firewall.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Spend $30 and buy 256MB of RAM and you won't have an issue with resources, this in turn opens the doors to more software that you can use to protect your system.

Cheers :D

7. Arup

Arup Guest

My advice, use CHX for inbound protection, harden your OS with Harden IT, Antihook for outbound and use Anti Vir for AV.

8. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Guest

Browser = OffbyOne.

Firewall = maybe an old version of Zonealarm free, 4x or something like that. I have seen newer versions of ZA free use over 22mb mem.

Make sure Windows is up to date.

Don't really need to run a AV resident if your only going to surf.

Maybe WinPatrol free version too, for extra spyware protection, it runs very light.

and that's it.

But if you had xp, I would go with Lupus recommendations.

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Using XP SP2, doing some hardening (including software restriction policies), and using a limited user account is a good way to go. Personally, if I were going for a minimalist setup, I would spend a few bucks to get some paid software that can potentially do a much better job with even less resources. Get involved with a beta and you can get some software for free, in exchange for your time (spent finding and reporting bugs and ideas).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.