Migrating XP Home to a new SATA Array

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by pgelaber, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pgelaber

pgelaber Registered Member

Hello!

I purchased Disk Director and it looks like an amazing utility! Wow! I installed the driver for my SATA RAID array while in the old XP system in my PATA Drives. I even partitioned the new SATA Array under my old installation, only to discover that I had to partition it again during the migration of my XP Home.

I have two PATA drives, C: and D:. I used Disk Director to copy the partitions of my C: (System) and my D: to the new SATA array. Everything went smooth. I did this while booted from the Disk Director Bootable media.

I then powered down and disconnected the PATA and tried booting from the SATA. I only was able to see the XP Boot screen and then the system rebooted. It kept doing this until I manually powered down.

What steps did I miss? Any advice on how to get my system to boot from SATA without having to reinstall everything? I checked in Disk Director and the system partition on the new SATA array is labeled as Primary and Active. The SATA controllers were installed in the old system before migration.

The only thing I don't see is the the label C: on the SATA drives whereas in the PATA drives I see the label C: appear nect to my own user label of the drive. Is this the problem? If it is, how can I change the drive letter assignment?

Thanks for any responses.

Pedro Gelabert

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Pedro,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 is not designed for migrating systems because it only copies the data and makes necessary changes in partition table when you copy the partition. However, you may try to fix MBR either with Windows Installation CD or using one of the ways described at Acronis Help Post. It seems that fixing MBR should solve the problem which is resulted from the wrong letter assignment.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. pgelaber

pgelaber Registered Member

Thanks for your prompt reply. What software do you recommend for migrating a system partition? (Windows XP Home)

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pgelaber,

I recommend you to see Acronis True Image 8.0, it is intended for hard drive/partition image creation and partition/hard drive content restoration. Acronis True Image also has the Disk Clone wizard, it allows transferring the operating system, applications and data from the old disk to the new one.

You can download Acronis True Image 8.0 trial version In order to see how it will work on your computer.

If you decide to keep Acronis True Image after the trial period, it can be purchased via Acronis Online Store.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.