Migrating to a container,

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by babac, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babac

babac Registered Member

Hello,
    I bought Paragon CD Pro 11 and I'm left with a few questions, after reading over the user's guide:

1-The ''Migrate to a Container'' feature appears to be usable only if the target computer is on a NETWORK. Am I right? If so, I don't see how usefull this feature is for a Notebook,as it is supposed to have been created for that kind of computers.

2-The feature ,''Add specific drivers'' is bugging me.When I click ''yes'' I'm not given a destination path.Is it so designed, and if so where do they go on a dual boot system?
    Thanks.

2. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

If you want to replace the hard drive or reinstall the system on the notebook Hard drive, not having the option of plugin a second hard drive to the notebook; you can make a file that contains a clone of your hard drive as a container file on the network and later restore the hard drive from the container file on the network using the bootable recovery disk.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Interestng idea. Seems to me you could achieve the same result by just making an image, storing it on the network or USB drive and then restoring it to the new drive.

4. babac

babac Registered Member

Thanks but this answer is not usefull to me as you're saying exactly what I presumed...:doubt:
    In other words you're repeating what I wrote.The question is more:How usefull is that container if you're not on a Network,which is the case of most notebook users.

5. seekforever

Since you have the software already, why not plug in a USB external HD and see if it will let you make it there? If so, then you have the functionality available on a 1 disk only system.

An image file of a whole disk is pretty close to the same thing as a clone in a container since the archive files are really just a container.

6. babac

babac Registered Member

Yes, I know,but the essence of my question is what is the usefullness of the container if it's working in a Network only.

In Paragon's user's guide, they claim that the container is a better solution.
    Everybody has a laptop, but not everyone is on a Network...

7. seekforever

If it only works on a network and you don't have one, then it is of no use which is why I said to see if it will work using an external USB drive as storage instead of a network. I tried to download the manual but according to my PC it has a PDF error so doesn't work.

These days most people have networked computers so connecting a laptop to another computer is not much of an issue especially for what I interpret as the type of person that would usually buy this product.

8. babac

babac Registered Member

No doubt it works with an external HD connection.Thanks.
    But what about my second question, which is more important to me.
    ''2-The feature ,''Add specific drivers'' is bugging me.When I click ''yes'' I'm not given a destination path.Is it so designed, and if so where do they go on a dual boot system?''

9. cincinnatijack

I assume that the feature ''Add specific drivers'' is part of the WinPE based bootable environment, you will be adding the drivers to the WinPE 3.0 recovery environment, that reside in the computer RAM. Paragon WinPE is 32-based, thus you need to use 32-bit drivers for injection.

10. babac

babac Registered Member

All right.But since there is no destination file available, how do I do it on a dual boot?That is my only question in that regard.

11. cincinnatijack

You don't have a dual boot on a system that loads into RAM memory, you can have WinPE for Windows or Linux as a Paragon recovery program but not both at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.