MigrateEasy 7 to external HD?

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by cone9, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cone9

cone9 Registered Member

Here's my situation. I have two hard drives. Primary 10 gig (C: ) is FULL - usually less that 100 MB available. Second 40 gig HD is partitioned into 3 drives(D:,E:,F: ). I want to replace the 10 gig HD with a new 200 gig HD and put my existing C: on it - just as it now sits on the 10 gig HD.

Do I need space available on the current 10 gig C: drive to install ME7 in order to use the product?
    [I've read in other threads of problems running from the emergency boot disk because it shuts down and automatically reboots without letting you power off and disconnect the original drive before rebooting.]

Do I need to format and partition the new 200 gig HD before I run ME7 to migrate or does ME7 do that for me?

Will ME7 recognize the three separate drives I have partitioned off on the 40gig HD and format just one of them to migrate to while leaving the other two intact? Or, does it require the whole 40gig HD to be formatted - I don't want to lose all that!

1) Can I do this (keeping in mind there is NO space on the current C: drive)?
    Remove the 40 gig drive and install the 200 gig drive in that bay. Then use ME7 the migrate to the 200gig. Remove the 10 gig and reboot to the new C; drive on the new 200 gig HD. Replace the 40 gig in the bay vacated by the 10 gig HD. Now the computer works/looks just like before but with lots of space on the C: drive.

2) Can I do this (keeping in mind there is NO space on the current C: drive)?
    I have a 200 gig Maxtor One Touch external HD. Plug the External drive into USB - probably will become the G: drive. Use ME7 to migrate to the external drive. Remove the old 10 gig HD and boot to the external HD (Can I do that?)and my C: drive that is now there. Install the new 200 gig internal HD into the bay where the 10 gig HD was. Use ME7 to migrate from the external HD to the new 200 gig internal HD. Unplug the external HD and boot to the new internal 200 gig HD as my new C:. Now the computer works/looks just like before but with lots of space on the C: drive.
    [I've read in other threads of problems using ME7 with external HDs]

3) If I need space to install the program, so I don't have to use the emergency boot disk, can I do this:
    Leave both the old 10gig and 40 gig HD in place. Install ME7 on the D:drive(where there is space). Use ME7 to migrate C: from the 10gig HD to the 'E:' partition on the 40 gig HD. Disconnect and remove the old 10 gig HD. Reboot to the new C: (old E: drive) on the 40 gig HD. Install ME7 on the C: of the 40 gig HD. Install the new 200 gig HD in the bay where the old 10 gig was. Use ME7 to migrate the C: to the new 200 gig HD. Disconnect the 40 gig HD. Reboot to the new 200 gig HD. Reconnect the old 40 gig HD - will the computer change the designation on the 'C:' drive on the 40 gig to something else or will there be a problem with there being 2 C: drives there?

4) I'm just a damn idiot and there is really a simple way to do what I need done.
    If so, PLEASE tell me how. I'm not sure I understand half of what I just typed but I am confident many of your are much sharper that I and can help me? I certainly hope so - my fingers are tired!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.