Microsoft's Windows® Defender Final

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by NICK ADSL UK, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Just like Internet Explorer?:gack:

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hope , it won't help here .

WD is already on Vista betas , everywhere I have read that it will be installed on Vista by default . That's the main reason they changed the name and so on . It will be installed to protect Internet Explorer 7 and since it is installed , this means it is part of Windows and it should be updated via Windows Updates . Bad (IMO) but true

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Then I have no choice but to disable the WD service. :'( :D :isay: :thumbd: This kind of program which constantly runs in the background and requires constant signature update should be an optional choice for the user, instead of installing it by default. I don't think WD can beat its competitors.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hey , thanks for the advise ,Chibb . I hadn't though about that :) :D :D

5. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

Well, Windows Defender was originally planned to be one of my anti-malware software (look at my signature). And anyway, I don't regret it. I don't mind the WGA tool, and resident scanner works well for me. Intergrates well with IE versions and gives nice protection to the OS itself.

Main problem I have with it, like many others, is the full-system scan time and the interface. The interface is a little ... empty, bland and way too expanded for suce a program that doesn't use up all its text space. Scan time also takes pretty long, even for a small amount of space needed to be scanned.

But overall, I'm okay. I'm glad to see some effort of Microsoft toward security. And anyway, it's about time Defender came out. Get people to use it.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I wonder if it will conflict with most other anti-malware applications?

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.