Microsoft: We can remotely delete Windows 8 apps

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You seem to contradict yourself with the Linux statement.

At least in Windows it only applies to apps from the app store and not Win32 programs.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

With Linux if you installed outside of the repository you weren't affected.

The point is that if you have a software repository you will handle it a certain way and every software repository I can think of does things like this whenever it comes up.

The issue brought up is purely that people don't trust Microsoft in which case why are you using their product at all?

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

How so? o_O It was nothing but a memory I had about the Firefox event. Had it been Microsoft... It was like saying that those who don't care about Canonical doing whatever they're doing, would probably bring hell upon Microsoft. :p

It was just an aside comment. Nothing more than that.

I can't speak in the name of other folks, but in what concerns me, it comes down to this - Microsoft has no business deleting any application from the system I paid, if I happen to get one from Windows Store, for whatever reason they come up with.

I'd allow them - If enabled by me - to alert me for an illegal application they found on my system. Then, I'd investigate why they considered it/them illegal, and decide by myself.

This actually makes me think. Why not a functionality users could tweak. If you want it to delete applications as they please, allow them. If you don't want that, then set it only to alert you. If you don't want that either, then disable it. Everyone's happy, no? ;)

Or, better yet... no kill switch, and Microsoft should rather provide an application you can download and install through Windows Store (just for the sake of it), that gives them full access to your system to do whatever they want for the sake of legal. That should work fine as well, and I totally accept that option. ;)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.