Microsoft Security Essentials / Avast

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zpro, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zpro

zpro Registered Member

Well, been running the Avast Home Edition for a while, however the newer version 7.x notice that takes uses allot memory to run, while do its thing.
    its a great app, and have save me dozen of time.. however it becoming a resource/memory hog at times...

So, thought I would ask the group, those whom had use avast home edition
    then switch to Microsoft Security Essentials, what you think about Microsoft Security Essentials compare to avast.. any positive or negatives views...
    also, does Microsoft Security Essentials use allot memory or not.

Thanks !
    ;)

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Well this would be an A v B thread which would get it locked.

That said, how much memory is Avast! using? Mine is only using about 14MB. Independent tests tend to show Avast! having higher protection rates than MSE, and I believe a worse impact on resources.

If you are sure Avast! is too heavy, I would recommend Panda Cloud AV.

3. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

If you had to answer you it would become an AvB thread that would get this locked, like Brandon said.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Let the dude ask what are the differences, geez i hate the A vs B rule nonsense here on Wilders. Defeats the whole purpose of the forum...:rolleyes:

Going on topic...

Not sure what do you mean by high memory usage with avast! though. Last time i checked, v7 actually uses less memory than older versions.

MSE is fine, though from my experience protection just isn't up there with the best. And it's on-access scanner is ridiculously slow due to scanning of archives in real-time which only MSE does. But it has a simple interface and doesn't require yearly re-registration.

I think in your case, that archive scanning will be the main problem (works ok in general but if you download a big installer like GOG games it will make your system crawl to its knees). You can try it but this is among things that make me hate MSE. If there was just a checkbox that would allow user to disable on-access archive scanning and MSE would be fantastic in my view. But MS keeps it exactly the same for 4 iterations and thats just bad. Imagine avast! being still exactly the same as 8 years ago (version 4.x)...

5. gery

gery Registered Member

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Closed as per Posting Policy Statement - Antivirus Software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.