Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0 (Morro MSE Free Anti-Virus)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BrendanK., Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I have MSE installed on Windows 7 RC1 and it's working pretty well. I occasionally see some weird behavior where the real-time-protection turns itself off. It appears to happen during a UAC prompt for another program, but I'm not sure. I can turn it back on manually and then it's OK again. I'm also running it on Windows Vista and it's rock solid there. It will be interesting to see if there's a new build on Tuesday.

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Don't worry - I'm sure everyone gets used to it as well, just like I actually have been. :D Quiet and light it seems IMO and doing the right thing. OneCare was known to have good generics and very low FP count - it's promising, don't you think? :)

Maybe they'll change it later. If not, you just get used to it - no big deal. :D

3. raven211

Probably is - the leaked version being redundant by then. :) I'm sure they'll fix any UAC issues of Windows 7 in future beta versions. ;) Windows 7 is beta software too afterall, still, even if getting farther and farther.

4. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I doubt that those who want something for free are going to complain about Microsoft giving them an Anti-virus. It sounds great, but it should be considered that the global recession has been tough for security companies and This is going to be a real threat to them financially. I don't like what Microsoft is doing because they are offering something that their rivals just cannot compete with. As it stands Free Anti-viruses are usually cut down versions with the companies hoping that the users of them will like them enough to upgrade for better protection. Why would many people bother paying when Microsoft will offer everything like a paid product for a free download, this is the issue. This is Microsoft once again abusing their market position..I don't like it one bit, no matter how fantastic this Anti-virus will be. Yes, We pay for windows (like there's a credible alternative:rolleyes: ), but it should be just windows and not this blatant corporate abuse. Just my opinion:) .

5. raven211

I would say "not really". What I see on average Joe computers is for the most part Internet Security products all-day. :)

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I understand your point of view, but I think the situation is more complicated. First of all MSE is pretty simple - it's just a combination AV/AS which puts it on the same level as AVG Free, Avast Home and AntiVir Personal (in terms of features). I don't see that using MSE is any different then using one of the other three free AV's, other then the absence of a nag screen. People still have to download and install it. It would be interesting to know how much business the free AV's generate for the companies - in other words how many people after using a free version of AVG, etc. opt to buy the paid version to get additional features. I have on occasion used all three and I haven't liked any of them enough to want to pay for the "pro" versions. The fact that MSE requires WGA validation will limit it's penetration into the market. Validation is not something the other AV's have to deal with.

I think the most important fact is the current arrangement is broken. Consider that in addition to the three free AV's virtually every ISP gives away a free security suite to it's customers. In fact AOL gives away a McAfee security suite to anyone who wants it if they just create a free email account! Yet, there are many people not using AV or using expired AV, and the reason is simply ignorance. I don't think MSE will significantly change this scenario. Nothing short of making AV part of the operating system will change it and that's not going to happen any time soon. Perhaps when the plague of malware becomes bad enough it will force a change.

7. Astech

Astech Registered Member

First of all we need to see a real test with MSE and how it stands next to the competition, all the tests I've seen were small ones which show nothing. I hope that MS does the right thing this time and make a good product (they have all the possible resources to make the best of the best) which will be FREE since it is time for MS to give out something for all those who helped them with solving their problems (you know, little things like: bug reporting, security vulnerabilities......).
    I would like to be able to use MSE right from the start and not wait for its "SP1" or "SP2".....

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I installed the public beta of MSE today on Vista x86 after registering with the Microsoft Connect website. There are three installers; one for 32 bit XP, one for 32 bit Vista & Windows 7, and one for 64 bit Vista & Windows 7. Apparently 64 bit XP is not supported.

The latest build is 1.0.1407.0 and it is different from the leaked build. It immediately updates signatures after installing, which only took a couple of minutes with a broadband connection. It then wants to do a quck scan, but there is the option to cancel the scan. The icon is the same as the previous build. By the way, although the icon may not be to everyone's taste it does a good job of displaying status - if the real-time-protection gets turned off the icon turns bright orange.

I'm dual booting vista 32 bit and Windows 7 RC1 32 bit. I'll post an update in a few minutes after installing it on Windows 7.

Update:

Installed smoothly in 32 bit Windows 7 RC1 in about four minutes without "quick scan". With regard to Windows Defender, in both Windows 7 and Vista it is still listed as an installed program (in the Security Center and Action Center respectively), but its' status is OFF.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  9. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

Even though I can't see myself using MSE
    Happy With - Avast Home :cool:
    I do think that it's a really good thing that Microsoft is bringing out this MSE :thumb:

Windows Defender = Anti-Spyware
    Windows Firewall = Firewall
    So the only thing that's missing - Anti-Virus o_O

Out of all my family and friends... I think I'm the only one that has full protection on my computers :(
    Before anyone says.. Talk To Them!
    Believe me.. I've Tried!
    They just look at me like I'm some kind of paranoid idiot. ( Like a Virus or Spyware is just some kind of fairy tale that will never happen to them ) :rolleyes:

Now The Ones That Have - XP
    Yep! - I guess they probably use the Windows Firewall .. Coz it was there on the computer when they got it.
    And The Ones Using - Vista
    Yep! - I guess they probably use Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall .. Again! Coz both were there on the computer when they got it.

But .. Anti-Virus .. Nope! :ouch:

No flamin wonder these Malware spreads so dam fast :mad:

I think the best way for Microsoft to reach out to these people....
    1/ Is have MSE preinstalled on computers ( But make it easy uninstallable & reinstallable )
    Or Even Better...
    2/ Windows Update checks computers to detect if they have - Anti-Virus / Anti-Spyware / Firewall .. And If Not .. Give them MSE via Windows Update ( Important Update ) :D

Mind You!
    Half my family and friends don't bother with Windows Update either :oops:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  10. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Official Windows Security Essentials site by MS now online.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Enlist for beta now !! Support available via MS Answers Community....
    Just found the official system requirements:

11. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Running very nice over here. I can't believe I'm writing this but, I just might replace Avira PE with this app as my realtime detector.:D I'll use Avira PE as my secondary scan.

Ice

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

13. stratoc

stratoc Guest

yes i did, it worked, hate the look of the program though, it's defender with av.

14. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

just a reminder in that This beta is available only to customers in the United States, Israel (English only), People's Republic of China (Simplified Chinese only) and Brazil (Brazilian Portuguese only).

15. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Well, I am in canada and it did let me participate in the beta. I take it that invasion plans are well underway. :D

16. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

It won't let me and im in Canada.

17. simisg

simisg Registered Member

it has a bug . on restart in xp sp3 not loading in the task bar and not working propably......

18. Warklen

Warklen Registered Member

Im in Canada and it let me..running pretty smooth besides the lag when opening Programs and Features

19. guest

guest Guest

20. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You should be able to download the program with any browser and save it to your hard drive.

22. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Registration from Russia successful, heard that people from Germany and The Netherlands were also able to register.

23. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Yes, you cannot even start to download any of the files - MSE stops it dead before you can even click 'OK'. See screenshots:

Attached Files:

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am in Saudi Arabia and was able to download and install. Not sure if it wil work n update properly.

25. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I live in Hong Kong but I was still accepted to MS Connect to download the beta, although I got "Not available in your country or region".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.