Microsoft Office 2013 Marketing Nonsense

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Osaban, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

On my new machine with Windows 8, Windows Office 365 Home Premium came pre-installed for a trial period of 30 days. It is a subscription license which activates 5 licenses in a home environment. Now the first surprise is that the 5 licenses only work for Windows 7 and 8, which means that to make it convenient for me I should upgrade at least two computers (meaning of course more money and hassles).

The second surprise is that when I proceeded to pay for it, the transaction got stuck because of my location (Seoul, South Korea). I thought, well let's go to the Microsoft store and buy Office Home & Student 2013 (one license about $140). To my third surprise, as soon as I start the transaction I get automatically redirected to MS Korea which offers Office in Korean, no English version.

Well at this stage I thought let's try Amazon.com, which has only the electronic download version, and after supplying my credit card details I proceeded to the download section. Fourth surprise (at this stage it is outright shock) Amazon.com informs me that electronic downloads are only performed in US territory! I mean really, what gives? Is it top secret code?

Now the real problem is (apart from MS incredibly inefficient marketing protocols) that Office 2013 is only offered as an electronic download which means in my situation I just can't buy it!

Anybody with a solution? Does anyone know if MS Home & Student 2010 works on Windows 8 (64bit)? TIA

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Apparently there are a number of gotchas of this type relating to all the new MS products and OS's. I can't remember particulars, but I have read about your issues on other forums, in addition to other nightmares people have had just trying to reinstall Win 8, and so on and on. Honestly, IMO, it is simply best to stay away from current MS products until some more time passes and things get sorted out and settle down. You are not alone apparently... I have also heard stories of people spending literally hours and hours on the phone with MS on various levels, and basically getting nowhere... it's not good.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think it is really incredible, over the years I bought all sorts of software online from all over the world with no issues, and here I am struggling to pay their already hefty price for something that in their mentality should only be offered in Korean because I live in Seoul... This is even more absurd considering that Windows 8 is now offered in several languages: When I first turned on my new computer the first question was "Please choose your language".

I've just found out that Kingsoft Office 2012 (FREE) apparently supports Windows 8.

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

You could always change your locations via VPN so that you can buy your MS Office or alternatively just stick it up to MS and go with OO.

5. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Osaban- I don't believe an issue exists. Just get the Korean Office version, download a free English language pack from Microsoft and install it. Then it is a simple matter of opening up an office program and changing over from Korean to English (File>Options>Language). Check your PM- I sent specifics on the process.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi cruelsister,
    Let me say thanks again for your invaluable assistance. I've downloaded your language packs and will certainly use them if the only way to buy Office is to get the Korean version first.

I still think it doesn't make sense that I cannot buy the English version directly from MS.
    Consider that I have MS Office 365 Home Premium (in English) installed and running on my computer, and I'm still trying to figure out a way to pay for it (the trial is valid until May 2nd).

Best regards

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Its not only with MS Office, i have used other software in the past that forced me to download the Spanish versions of the software when i wanted the English version. (Also happens with websites that redirects you)
    HATE THAT. o_O

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, it would be simple to use a VPN and connect to a server in the US. That should solve the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.