Microsoft Message Queue Server

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowy, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

so what is it ? ......have discovered this quite by accident while researching another issue....
    after tightening up my security a bit for my lil research project.....I was advised of a possible improper action......but really didn't give it much thought.....it looked legal enough....the message in part was associated with the topic of this post........an yet I have a very un-easy feeling about this.
    Briefly I checked to see what this is.......an understand it to be a built in feature of the windows os......but I am also of the understanding that its suppose to be dorment....an my machine has it active.
    does anyone know of any known security issues with this ??
    I have taken prevention steps.....would appreciate any comments please....

snowman

2. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

LoadQM.exe loads the MSN Messenger/Explorer Queue Manager (Qmgr.exe)

Description of the Loadqm.exe File (Q30941:cool:

Whether it's up to no good is open to debate, but I've never heard any really convincing arguments against it.

On the other hand, you don't need it.

Go to Start/run, type Msconfig, and uncheck Loadqm.exe on the Startup tab.

Click OK, close Msconfig, and reboot.

Cheers, Tony

3. snowy

snowy Guest

Tony

remind me to send you a christmas gift.........oh its up to no good alright.......an will be IMMEDIATELY DISABLED!!!!!!

have not as yet got a grip on whats happening....but the moment I re-routed a udp port over 40 "outbounds" were re-routed...that wasn't being previously shown either by scans or port monitors........highly strange.
    seems this is also used by DCOM......yet I don't have my printer installed........an yet another possiblilty..is packets being sent to a router log.........perhaps my ip....
    you may already be awear that this will be used be .net

thanks...VERY MUCH THANKS

snowman

4. TonyKlein

You're welcome. Glad to hear that helped.

On the other hand, I can't help but thinking that you're getting overly worked up about something not exactly in the same league as, say, your average trojan, worm, or other real baddie.

5. snowy

snowy Guest

Tony

unfortunately it wasn't in start-up by that name...os winME 98.......will have to do some searching...cause its defintely on my os.

Yes I would tend to agree that this should be harmless.....an until now never had any reason to suspect it......this only really was noticed after I moved to a new ip (cable)...........I have it re-routed so its not leaving the os.....

still much thanking you

snowman

6. snowy

snowy Guest

Tony

from the link you provided:

***Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition-DO NOT USE!**

7. snowy

snowy Guest

Tony

so far I am not able to locate this service or even find out if its on my os...(alerted that it is).....but..as you said this most likely is all about nothing so I wont bother with it right now.......

Again my sincere thanks

snowman

8. TonyKlein

No prob! :)

However, I'm wondering why on one hand you're complaining about this application, but at the same time seem unable to locate it on your system.

That doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Qmgr is a hidden folder in your Program Files directory, which may account for your not finding it.

Is 'show all files' set in Folder Options > View?

Or are we talking about different things here?

9. Message Queuing Overview and Resources
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/techresources/appserv/MSMQ/MSMQ_Overview.asp

Inside Microsoft's Message Queue Server
    http://www.webreview.com/1998/02_13/developers/02_13_98_4.shtml

HOWTO: Manually Uninstall Microsoft Message Queue Server

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q202124&

10. TonyKlein

Thanks for setting me straight on that, MyNethingyman.

I assumed wrongly this was about the Queue Manager...

11. Hey Tony,

I had to check myself.. :eek: snowman will keep ya hoppin'

Have a good day,

John

12. snowy

snowy Guest

Tony

LOL...can fully understand your state of "wonderment"...I seem to have lived my entire life in that state LOL
    .......actually, I was being alerted ..otherwise I would never have known it even existed.......that lil bugger

MyNET

say whatcha mean I keep you jumping.........nawwww....heck I keep you alert....awear..alive......an maybe sometimes in that state of wonderment Tony mentioned.......99.9 % of the time I've no idea what I am talking about an the other.1% is just a guesstimation........LOL..........besides....with all that knowledge you guys have to share my questions are just a walking in the park........
    Thanks my friend for the links....after reading the re-moval instructions I do believe that I'll leave this sleeping dog alone...........this lil puppy growing to grow-up someday an may need a great big cage.....

snowman

P.S. should we consider this to be the broswer of fashion in the future??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.