Microsoft may charge extra for security software

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

CNN

2. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

This is the perfect profit scheme. Leave the product full of security holes and charge the end-user for fixing their computer when it gets trashed.

Maybe the effort to fix the security holes in products are not as serious as everyone would have thought. I continue to say that things could be done a lot better to make computer use much, much safer. I believe security on computers could be made so strong that it would be too much effort to try to break in the average users computer.

I wonder which company will step up to the challenge for real and stop playing around.

Starrob

Starrob

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I don't think Microsoft's security software is going to be that excellent, do you think that Microsoft can produce a anti-trojan software like TDS-3?

Well, obviously not. DCS has years of experience in developing anti-trojan software. Microsoft has never produced any anti-trojan software before. If Microsoft can't produce good security software, then why should they charge extra for security software?

4. zexton

zexton Guest

The only way i'm going to accept any anti-spyware software offered by Micro$haft is if it's 100% free. It'll probably suck anyway as Nadirah stated. I would go with a trusted leader like DCS any day over anything M$ has to offer.

5. nadirah

Microsoft should just quit developing their so-called security software and concentrate on preparing Windows Longhorn. :rolleyes:

6. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

M$ are caught between a rock and a hard stone, and they current acquisitions shows this. They must be really running scared if with all their money they cannot design something in-house.

7. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Surely Longhorn would be a better product (for the average Mom & Pop user!) with incorporated AV, Antispy/Antitrojan apps. I think this is possibly where M$ are heading......They just love a Monopoly!!
    Here is an email that I got from M$ after a query earlier this year;
    Dear Brad,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Assisted Support. My name is John and I will be assisting you with your case involving Windows XP.

As I understand it, your issue is you have a ghosted image of Windows XP and have installed SP2 which is causing you issues with Add/Remove programs and you would like steps to resolve this issue. If this is not correct, please let me know.

I will be unable to assist you with this case due to the version of Windows installed on your computer being an ghosted image. Microsoft does not support ghost and any other third party programs.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue or if you require further assistance. I will stand by for your response.

Kind regards,
    John Helpful
    Microsoft Australia & New Zealand Technical Support

8. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I think I am right in saying...

Microsoft is practically a manopoly in the business world, it controls practically the whole market and so has huge control. As a manopoly, it does not need to be partically competitive when it comes to prices and developement.

Jimbob

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

bigbuck- You forgot:
    How helpful did you find this advice?
    ○1 ○2 ○3 ○4 ○5 ○6 ○7 ○8 ○9 ○10​

Really, though, if they build Giant into Longhorn, every spyware maker will just concentrate on finding ways to get around it.

10. bigbuck

.....And everyone will just rely on their favourite 3rd party progs that M$ hates us using!

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Like CounterSpy's free version! :D (I'm gonna have to get that one, just because)

12. bigbuck

And Adaware...And Spybot...And.....And....And
    :D :D

13. Jimbob1989

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Microsoft Moves On Spyware To Stymie Firefox
    techweb

15. nadirah

It's Billy Gates up to his old competition tricks once more... :D

16. Jimbob1989

Why does Microsoft have to be competitive, are they not almost a manopoly?

Jimbob

17. nadirah

Remember the world domination CD-ROM by Microsoft? They wanna rule the digital age! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.