Microsoft beta AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It says on their site they are not taking anymore testers. But you can still download it from Softpedia and will updates. Is this correct.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes, it's where everyone downloads it from now :)

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

with Vista how does it update. The reason I ask is when installed this morning the definitions showed created at 6:24am. Then 12 hours later I did a manual update and they are new. So how does it or does it, automatically update itself.

4. elapsed

This is explained in full on the other thread.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

, yes and it does this every eight hours

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thank you kees.

7. Kees1958

Trjam,

You switch a lot, don't know whether you have also the lisences, but with what I have seen (meaning your avitar being a security product), I would

Use GeSWall Pro, set network and startup program directories plus task scheduler to confidential.
    Effect ==> all threatgates and downloaded stuff is caged by GW until you decide to install a program

Use MSE, only to check downloaded files and attachments (GeSWall will protect you by containing any downloaded file), set all default actions to delete silently
    Effect ==> all known malware is filtered out, so you do not spread malware to your friends (because of GW, you personally would not care about malware sitting paralised/caged in stronger than LUA environment on your harddisk, just to prevent spreading malware).

Use Sandboxie with forced folders Temp (and temporary internet) and a special Install directory (e.g. C:\Install ), not for the internet facing applications (GW tackles that).
    Effect ==> where the protection of GW stops (set it to trusted) the protection of SBIE begins. Just do not throw away the sandbox contents

Cheers

Kees

8. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Hi, Kees. Interesting post. Could you please describe in more detail the things that you set to confidential, mentioned in the first advice (GeSWall), just so that I get that stuff right. :) Thanks! ;)

9. Kees1958

In the resurces section of the console you look for network, Set network to confidential:
    Security class = confidential, resource type = network, resource (name) = *

This will block all untrusted sources to go outbound. So you have to go the applications section and add for every (untrusted) program you would like to give internet access: Resource name *, Type = Network, Access = Allow

Add to the resource section

Security class = confidential, resource type = file, resource (name) = * C:\Windows\Taskmanager

Do the same for program start directories C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Menu start\ etc

Cheers

10. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Thanks, Kees. ;)

11. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

hi all i was using MSE but i uninstalled it,because every startup MSE eats 60-90%of cpu for 2-4 minutes

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I had the same problem on both Vista and Windows 7 - the high CPU usage was a real nuisance. I also noticed that the real time module would be disabled when the signatures were being updated, which in turn would trip a security center alert. Not everyone has these issues though so YMMV. I'll definitely look at it again when it goes gold.

13. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Exactly the same problems as both of you for me, too. Had to uninstall but hopefully these will be sorted for the next release.

14. elapsed

Did you report the problems? :p I've never had the problem so I would guess it's a conflict with something loading at startup.

15. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

I haven't had the CPU spike with MSE, but I'm on Windows XP and not Windows 7 or Vista.

16. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

The only issue I had was the updating function with XP. For some reason there was a problem and I needed to modify a registry entry to make it work. On the Vista Home PC, it updates without a hitch and I don't see any cpu spike. I will tell you this, it uses more memory than most other AV's out there. However, I think the product is solid and seems to catch the known malware out there.

Ice

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I would agree with that. It might be collateral to the subject but connected:I had Avira installed and was trialling Anti-Executable V3 (from Faronics). At start up my CPU was sky-rocketing for 30-40 seconds.

I didn't think much at the time as I thought it was possibly normal. I uninstalled Avira for other reasons, and suddenly the problem disappeared.

18. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Well this should be a good product when they get out the kinks and debug the code our of Beta. Just beta isn't stable but anyway MS said the product is good til Oct and the 7th will be the full release of Windows 7 just in time for both to go into operation.

19. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

No, but I will :). I agree. I think it could be SandboxIE as the icon would appear 'off' then reappear normal. I'll have a peek over in the SandboxIE forum, too.

20. tipstir

Okay let me this give this a try..

Windows Firewall + Geswall
    Microsoft Security Essentials

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am running Windows 7 and have no such cpu eating behavior.... In fact, no problems at all so far.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Agreed, if this keeps up, well it aint looking good for AV vendors. Actually the specialty product vendors may be the ones flourishing in years to come.

23. tipstir

Okay 2 Windows 7 systems will run MSE with PCT FWP the Rest will use PCT FWP with Avira for now. Although Avira is neck and neck with MSE. Goal is to min on system resources and use less CPU. Note: Sever can't run MSE as MS did say but not it won't load it I get error saying only to be used on XP.

24. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

MSE is real nice. I ran a couple of hidden malware tests with FP tossed in here and there. Not a single miss nor a FP, which KAV and Avira both called a trojan. (boo on you guys, IT IS NOT INFECTED)

25. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Can someone post some screen shots of the HIPS component? I would like to compare it to Windows Defender.

Thanks,
    Toby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.