Microsoft av now elite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ako, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

On the right side of the page, "Attached files".

2. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

wonder if there is any chance PrevX adds more AV to the list ...
    KAV, Avira, Avast, AVG etc ...

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That screenshot of RAV brings back some memories.:)

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Microsofts oncare is the most basic people-friendly av available.

there is nothing to change, basically default on or off.

the rest, is trust.

but with microsoft hiring all the best analysts from alot of the popular companys, i aint surprised they have drastically improved their detection.

i dont think anyone really thought MS would bring out a sub-par av, it just takes a little time, they can throw as much money at it whenever they want.

the 3 month trial should be attractive to anyone aswell.

it certainly tempted me to re-try the software,

Untitled.jpg

not sure what i think of 'Severe' o_O

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Just click on the title of the appropriate graph (Prevx Chart1 or Prevx Chart2) in the "ATTACHED FILES" frame. ;)

Regards

Menorcaman

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

lol
    I wonder what's the 'alert level' for trojans then :)

7. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I realize that this is a little off topic but does anybody know if the increased protection of Microsoft's av has transferred to Microsoft Defender or is the detection rate still sub-par.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

PC rebooting? The cause may be MS OneCare

Installing Windows Live OneCare, Microsoft's downloadable security suite, changes the settings of Automatic Updates without notifying users or honoring their update preferences.

This behavior may explain reports that Windows has been mysteriously installing patches and rebooting itself, even though users had completely shut down the Automatic Updates function.

Full Story ( about half way down the page.)
    http://by125w.bay125.mail.live.com/mail/ReadMessageLight.aspx?Aux=4%7c0%7c8C9E59BBA127A10%7c&FolderID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&InboxSortAscending=False&InboxSortBy=Date&ReadMessageId=5d209198-b7b3-49fe-aca9-795fa8f27c40&n=2105476157

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

But that's ok right? I mean, MS know what's best. It's a great OS! We get to fight it every day! woohoooo

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think it,s due to the reason that they developed it for ordinary user. They should not disable updates. Think of it as tweaking, hardening of windows by One Care. And if rebooting is just due to update of OOneCare then it,s very well understandable.

However there should be option to turn off this behav inside OneCare settings. Not sure if there is any.

11. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I was going to run OneCare for a few weeks, but I decided to uninstall after only a few days. I didn't like the backup utility, and the tuneup utility.

When I first tried to run the backup utility, I couldn't get it to work. It kept giving me a error message that my CD/DVD was in use. Come to find out, the problem had to do with my CD being formatted using my Easy CD Creator software. When I put a blank new CD in, the backup utility worked fine.

Then I tried the tuneup utility. After the session was over, it wanted me to update my backups. When I clicked ok, it gave me some other error message about something not being correct. I can't remember the exact wording. When I clicked finish, the green taskbar icon turned to yellow, meaning there is a problem that needs to be fixed.

I'd rather run my own backup and tuneup utilities. Goodbye to OneCare.

12. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

BigC, I could not get that link to work but here is the story on Windows Live OneCare's blog.

I don't see the big deal about this as I have Automatic Updates on anyway. But back when I was on dial-up I had it set to notify me before downloading because I wanted to see what kind it was and how big the update was. If it was something I could do without I would select it to be ignored. I wanted to know how long I was going to have to watch that progress bar creep across the screen, lol.

Only other reason I know why someone would object to AU is because they are using the :ninja: versions of the OS.

OneCare is ok, but still lacks the ability to backup to another internal hard drive (just external and DVD) unlike Norton 360 (not sure about McAfee's "supersuite", never tried it).

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I installed that piece of garbage yesterday on a virtual machine because I was asked to do so in order to confirm or disconfirm the computerworld.com, and Windows Secrets report, that OneCare SILENTLY AND WITHOUT ASKING changes the users settings during install to automatic updates. This, according to computerworld.com and Windows Secrets newsletter, happens even when the user has Automatic Updates and BITS disabled in Services.

My findings support what has been reported as being the reason for the problems several weeks ago with users computer who had autoupdates turned off and then who mysteriously had their computers spontaneously update and reboot and they didn't know why this happened. It is OneCare doing it.

I would not wish this piece of junk on my worst enemy. Everything about it is wrong. I was appalled. It basically takes over your computer and does as it pleases. I was able to control it ONLY because I had ProcessGuard free version installed on that virtual machine. PG caught it trying to disable PG. I don't know what it thought PG was and OneCare didn't bother to let me know it was doing this. But then OneCare disabled Proxo and that it was able to do as PG could only partly control the firewall. What happens after installing this leach and rebooting is awful. I guess I should have expected sneaky nastiness ...no transparency, no ability to configure, forced "clean up" of your computer, at least once a month, even if you don't want that...no way to turn it off, screaming and screaming and flashing popups if you dare to put your settings that it illegally changed without asking, or even telling you, during install back to the way you had them, FORCED full REGULAR scans of the computer AT A MINIMUM OF ONCE A WEEK which I never do and do not recommend that anyone knowledgeable enough to be reading this to do.

Before I could install it, I had to agree to a TOS that was highly offensive and extremely long and had nothing to do with OneCare. Then after installation, I had hell break loose when I rebooted because this horrible thing not only enables autoupdating (even though I had Autoupdates DISABLED in Services), but the firewall immediately killed Proxo, and some other things, and autoupdates started to download and update and that, at least, I was able to stop with ProcessGuard. It really astonished and angered me that this crap would not FIRST ALLOW ME TO READ THE HELP FILE AND CONFIGURE IT BEFORE IT DID ANYTHING. The first screen I got after rebooting was a screen that said I didn't have the Phishing filter enabled for IE7 and tried to terrify me into enabling it with much drama involved. Then I immediately got a second screen (this while I had three other popups from the Firewall blocking Proxo and other things and popups from Autoupdates which I stopped but didn't check the PG box to tell it to never allow and I got those Autoupdate popups EVERY 60 SECONDS until I finally told PG to NEVER allow and then went to Services and redisabled AutoUpdates. WAY, WAY too much happening after that reboot and all at once...all because that OneCare is horribly written software that rides roughshod over all your settings and just rips your computer apart...if I had not had PG (I wish I had installed the full version of PG on that machine), OneCare would have wrecked my settings. It had NO interest in what I wanted. That is EXACTLY what computerworld.com and Windows Secrets reported yesterday.

Right after the first screen after reboot about IE phishing filter being turned off was a screen asking me didn't I want to buy it immediately! Nothing else. No introduction to OneCare. When things calmed down and I wasn't dealing with a bunch of popups and Proxo was allowed in the Firewall, I clicked on Help intending to read the Help file. There wasn't any help file! I got two more popups with lots of ridiculous drama, and completely unnecessary, and finally, after all the drama, was taken to Windows Live site where I was told to "ask a question" (like I was a two year old). I didn't want to ask a question! I wanted to read the Help file damn it. Besides, I was told that an automated robot would answer the question. Why would I want some time consuming cumbersome junk like that (no live person answering which probably would not have been better anyway) when I could simply read the Help file that should been installed on my computer along with the application? GEEEZZ.....

I never did find a help file. I tried repeatedly. Finally, on the last attempt, at Windows Live (why I was sent to the internet for a help file is beyond me...what if I couldn't get on the internet? The Help file should ALWAYS be downloaded to disk), I saw "FAQ" so I clicked on that and the display was one word in the left corner of my screen and the rest of the screen blank. It said "Help" and Fx appeared to be trying to connect to something. Finally the page said "done" in the status bar but all I had was a blank page and that one word. So, evidently, you can't use Firefox to get a Help file for OneCare ...assuming the "FAQ" was a help file.

I was never given a EULA which surprised me. There was only the TOS before I could download OneCare and the TOS had nothing to do with OneCare. I took offense at the TOS saying that "you agree to obey the law" and a bunch of other ridiculous stuff I had to agree to including an explict clause about P2P. What "law" was I agreeing to obey? There was no explanation but that was one of the very first things in the TOS.

I just wish PG had eaten it alive when it tried to kill PG. :D

I think there are far better choices that don't include selling your soul and I believe this to be true for the newbie as well as people like us who post in these forums. OneCare could have the best detection and removal of all and I would never use it or recommend it even to a newbie. Microsoft asked for feedback when I later uninstalled it and you better believe I gave them feedback!

Oh..as icing on the cake, I noticed it was using 45,000K!!! Avira uses less than 8,000K and I don't need any additional antimalware applications. My Avira Premium doesn't have a firewall though but I know it only adds a few K ....nothing anywhere like 45,000K that OneCare was using.

14. midway40

Actually it was not a "silent" install if you read the notice at the first of the installation (see blog link I provided). It states "By using OneCare you agree to let Microsoft make changes to your system such as enabling features [such as Automatic Updates] that keep your system up to date and make it safer for you to browse the internet."

15. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

What does disconfim mean? There is no such word.

Did you mean to say you wanted to prove or disprove one side or the others review?

Also did you read the release notes concerning OneCare and VM/VPC which more or less stated that OneCare has not been tested in that environment and user results may vary or you will find your computer reacting poorly?

Your memory usage may well be high due to you conducting a test outside of the products specs as well as any other results you have.

This product is actually perfect for users that want full automation of security and OS maintenance. Well it is still a young product there is a lot of room to grow and advance.

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

"disconfim"? That isn't a word, I agree. I used the word "disconfirm". Maybe it is slang, I guess I could have said "confirm or not confirm" but I don't really see why you would pick on that when I had a great deal of useful observations that I made and you choose to ask me about a word which you don't spell correctly and to be upset about because it is maybe not really a word? Well, okayyy.....I find it odd that you couldn't figure out what I meant...looks a bit like you just wanted to find something to complain about which is typical with you when it comes to me. I guess I should be honored that you came all the way over here so you could stalk me here like you do at dslr. :rolleyes:

Why would I read notes about using or not using it in VMWare? I was conducting a test that required VMWare. I was not "using" it as such. Plus, what else would one expect from Microsoft? VMWare is their big rival. I have seen many post here and at dslr about high memory usage of OneCare and I think most of them were using it on non VMWare machines. But that was a very minor thing. It is interesting that the only things you chose to reply to was a loosely used word and an afterthought at the end of my post. I would assume that meant you agree with the rest of my findings until I saw that you are advocating this piece of junk but you don't give any details as to why. I also did not read the privacy policy when I installed it because it was just for a test on a virtual machine. I read the privacy policy today and it is so APPALLING OUTRAGEOUS that no one who values their privacy even slightly should ever even try this! This product needs to be on a black list of the worst applications ever.

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

There was no notice. I don't know what blog you are referring to but I was not directed to a blog when I went to download this. I went to Windows Live and clicked on download for OneCare. I got a TOS. It was very long and quite offensive and had nothing whatsoever to do with OneCare. I read the entire thing after loading it in Wordpad so I didn't get a cramp in my hand and need a magnifying glass to read it. It even had a clause about Windows Desktop search. After I agreed to the TOS, download proceeded and I saw a screen saying it would take 1-2 hours to download and install OneCare on broadband ...that was nutty. There were two progress bars. One for download and one for install. It took 3-4 minutes for both progress bars to fill. Then I was informed I had to reboot to finish the install. I rebooted and all hell broke lose. There wasn't any screen about OneCare and what it would do. There was no Eula for OneCare. There was only a TOS that was mostly about msn and obeying the law although what law I have no idea but I had to agree to obey the law and to not participate in P2P...none of which has anything to do with OneCare per se. Just Microsoft being bossy and acting as though it owned me.

After I rebooted, as instructed, all hell broke loose. I got a screen that said Microsoft was sure I wanted to buy OneCare immediately and to click here to do so. I clicked no thanks I want to "continue" the trial...that was a laugh...I had not started the trial so I didn't want to "continue", I simply wanted to do the trial...geez...talk about "hard sell"...Microsoft doesn't even let you have ONE MINUTE of a trial before it bugs you to buy it. I clicked that screen off and behind it was a screen complaining that I didn't have antiphishing enabled for IE. All during this Automatic Updates is trying to start. I LATER saw what you are talking about. But I did not see anything about my agreeing to a EULA BEFORE INSTALLATION that would allow Microsoft to change my settings for Autoupdate especially when I had it disabled....there is a big difference between total disablement and having autoupdates on "notify me". Disabling a service takes knowledge of how to do that and specific action and when someone does that they obviously would not want that tampered with without explict notice and agreement before hand...not later after the wicked deed is done.

From the computerworld.com article:

ComputerWorld confirmed Dunn's account of OneCare's AU changes by installing the security suite on both Windows XP and Windows Vista.

At no time during installation, said Dunn, does OneCare tell the user that the software will modify Windows' settings or provide an opt-in dialog. Nor do the various online documents -- including Microsoft's privacy statement and an addendum for OneCare -- that are offered up early during the process contain any information about the changes. "It turns out there's a brief mention of it buried deep in one of the OneCare help files," said Dunn. "But that's not the same as telling users upfront."

The help file (select "What does Windows Live Update do to help manage and maintain my computer's software updates?" to view the pertinent section) acknowledges that OneCare makes changes without bothering to ask. "When you first install Windows Live OneCare, setup automatically enlists your computer in Microsoft Update and changes your computer's settings to download and install updates automatically using Automatic Updates," it reads."

Even though I used PG to block AutoUpdates, I STILL got one. It must have happened as OneCare installed and before I rebooted. I found both a restore point made automatically and totally silently (on my host machine when I install any patch I am informed on the screen that a restore point is being made) and a patch. I had already uninstalled OneCare yet it did not remove this patch during the uninstall. I had to remove it manually. No telling what is left behind.

I was offered a chance to read the privacy policy before the install and I didn't because I didn't intend to keep OneCare. The policy has nothing in it about my agreeing to allow a service that I placed on disabled to not only be enabled but put on automatic by Microsoft. The privacy policy, which I read today, is a complete joke. You waive all privacy rights basically.

I'm going to delete the virtual machine as it is so tainted now that I wouldn't use it.

18. midway40

I was referring to this blog in my next to last post(#37). Here is the pic of the window at the first of the installation when you select the language:

Attached Files:

19. quazimutato

quazimutato Registered Member

Mele20, calm down and take slow, deep breathes big man. After having read your delusional rant about how OneCare is the son of Satan, i would have sworn all those things to be true. Alas, i don't. I am currently running OneCare on 2 desktops and 1 laptop, 2 XP systems and 1 Vista machine. Runs as well, if not better than McAfee, which i used to own.

While i agree OneCare has little user-defined settings, i kinda think that was MS's plan all along. This isn't a KAV or NOD32, with near-limitless configurations, its sort of a set it and forget type of Security system for people who aren't as computer literate as clearly you claim to be.

And as has been stated numerous times, while their detection rates aren't quite top-notch yet, they're making impressive improvements each and every test. Don't lose sleep over this whole issue man, you hate MS, i get it, just don't let the hate take over your life. Let MS Technical worry about all the supposed problems you encountered, thats what they get paid to do.

20. Lanik

Lanik Registered Member

Who said anything about VMWare?

Lets review:
    Do you even know what VMWare is and what it does? :D

This is what was being referred to:

So if you used Virtual PC to install OneCare you just wasted a lot of time for nothing pretty much.

21. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

In testing mele one uses applications as they would be using in the real world and per specs which you did not do.

How can you present accurite test results when you did not even use the application as it was meant to be used?

That is how I can question you about your using the VM and you admit you did not even read up on this program before you installed it.

Your choice of wording well colorful just detracts from any good intentions you may have had not unlike your rants about KAV last month.
    -----------------------
    As for your made up word if you know the correct grammar why not use it instead of making something up? That is something I would expect from a kid but not an adult.

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's stay focused on software, not each other. Any personal discussions should be done using the personal message feature here or through email.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.