Memory Leak

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Trooper, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi all,

After a discussion with another user here on this site, we have both noticed that there seems to be a memory leak with LnS.

I am curious if anyone else has noticed this? What happens is when LnS first starts up, its memory useage is quite low.

But after some time, the memory useage creeps up and depending how long you have your pc on for, it can go up to 10mb or more. At first I thought it was when the log was full with info, but I have had this happen even without anything in the log. o_O

I would like to hear from anyone else (or even Frederic) if this has been reported prior?

In no way am I trying to flame this product just so everyone knows, I am trying to figure out a potential issue prior to purchasing.

Thanks and Regards,

Jag

2. Hexaguano

Hexaguano Registered Member

I have noticed this too. If I bring LnS out of the system tray (double click) then minimize, the memory usage drops substantially. However, it slowly climbs back to 10+Mb. Not sure what this means ...

3. Ghost1313

Ghost1313 Guest

4. Trooper

Thanks Ghost but I see nothing about memory leaks in that thread. o_O

Thanks anyway,

Jag

5. Hexaguano

And I thought it was just me ??

6. sinbad370

sinbad370 Registered Member

I notice this also. Will this be fixed?

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No, both of you are quite right. Hey Jaguar.. nice to see you reporting it here. I was about to myself.

In my case, LnS started at 2.7 mb and after 36 hours running, it was up to 14 mb and still climbing. That's when I realized it must be a leak. I think if I had run it longer it would keep climbing. Also, virtual memory usage climbed at approximately the same rate and numbers..

Hopefully Frederic will see these posts...

8. Ghost1313

Ghost1313 Guest

Hi,

I saw it somwehere on this site in a seach awhile ago,but that was the wrong one I gave to you soory about that,if I do find it I'll post it for you,and from what you have said it happenes,not sure why,but I am sure somebody will help you out with this one since it is a problem,I remember reading about this problem also,but can't remember the fix for this problem,but when thing I found if I logged everything,in Internet filtering,and app filtering it did take up much more memory on my computer,so I just logged the ones that I needed only, and my memory is back to normal,it's as light as a feather,but if I log everything,it became much heavy on system resouces.But you problem can be different than mine,good luck

9. Hexaguano

In my case, I'm sure it is not Log related. I can run a week or more and have no more than a handful of items listed in my log.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Same here. It makes no difference if you clear the log or not. Still the high ram usage. Only thing that affects it is if you open the GUI and then close it. Then you get a short temporary drop in ram usage to a low level, but it soon rises up to where it was again.

11. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi All,

Usually this kind of problem was related to logs, but Ok if you are saying the problem is not there, there is another explanation ;)

Actually, I observe the same kind of behavior with a peak of 9 MBytes used and if I open/close the application, it falls to 560 KBytes, and again increases quickly to 1.5~2.0 Mbytes, and then slowly (and I suppose I would need several hours to have 9 MBytes again).
    But I'm not sure there is really (in my case only) the evidence of a memory leak, since each time I open/close the application, it falls down to precisely 560 Kbytes.

Some questions:
    - are we all using the same tool to verify the memory (Windows Task Manager in my case) ?
    - if you open/close the application as I do, what is the minimum memory used and is this number increasing ?
    - are you using the LnsSvc service to start Look 'n' Stop ? There could be a link.

Thanks,

Frederic

12. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey Frederic

There is a memory leak, it has to-do with the way the applications blocks for connecting and executing of an app that will connect…

13. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Phant0m,

I know you already reported something to me about that, but I did verify and didn't find something there.

Do you mean a memory leak appears each time an application is blocked ?
    Or do you mean this is appearing each time Look 'n' Stop handles an application (to determine if it should be blocked or not) ?

Since the memory seems to back to a minimum value after opening/closing the application (at least for me), this means the memory leak wouldn't be systematic, and there is another event than the fact an application is blocked.
    Or do you have some information regarding this decreasing of memory usage when opening/closing an application ? and this information is not relevant ?actually this behaviour is common to all applications.

Frederic

14. Phant0m

In regarding to Application filtering with blocks for software connecting and launching rights, no logging to Log screen, mere way it handles the blocks are being handled and doesn’t seem to be releasing.

15. Phant0m

I attempted to reproduce the problem but I ended up noticing all sorts of unrelated oddly behaviours.

For an example;
    - When software uses Proxy Server environment and application is configured with Authorize Flag in application filtering AND ‘!0-65535’ set for both TCP and UDP Ports for the application, I see only "APP: Allowed" alerts, and no deny alerts, even though its configured properly to do so.
    - With the above setup, the application configured to connect to proxy server, the application isn't getting blocked...

OK, I know why, this must because there aren't controls for Loopback activity....
    :eek:

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  16. Trooper

Yes using Windows Task Manager.

If I open and close LnS, the minimum drops to 760K, but jumps to about 1762k immediately. Over time, (even with no log activity) this number increases.

Yes I am using the LnsSvc to start LnS.

Im using Phantom's ruleset just FYI.

Regards,

Jag

17. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Jaguar,

Thanks for the information. I would like to have the same information from the other users encoutering the issue.

I suppose you meant that the minimum 760 KBytes is increasing.

The strange thing is if there is no data logging the application really does almost nothing, and everything is decided by the drivers. So I don't see which kind of event could generated memory leak.

Regarding the service mode start, I'm wondering how the memory is counted for global data initialized by shared DLLs. When Look 'n' Stop is started as a service, it could be the first application to use DLL like MFC42 or some other shared DLL.
    In my case I was starting Look 'n' Stop in normal moden not the service one. I will try the service mode to see if it makes a difference.

I don't think the ruleset could impact this, if there is no log activity.

Regards,

Frederic

18. Hexaguano

Hello Frederic

My info:

Using the Task Manager to get memory usage.
    If I open and close LnS memory usage drops to 384K then climbs to ~2100k fairly rapidly. Memory usage then slowly climbs over time until I opne/close the GUI again.

I am NOT using the LnsSvc to start LnS.
    Using the Enhanced rule set

19. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Thanks for the info.
    Just one clarification needed: when you open/close the GUI does the memory drops to 384K everytime or is this number significantly increasing also over time ?

Frederic

20. Hexaguano

So far, it has dropped to 384K or close to it everytime I open/close the GUI. It may only be there for a second, then climb, but I haven't noticed it being "significantly" higher...

21. Trooper

Hi Frederic,

Was curious if you have found the same thing happening to you if you start LnS with the service.

22. Phant0m

BINGO!

This problem would happen to me, minimizing would drop it down, but it would then immediately jump back up and over some, the amount it were originally at before minimizing, and it would keep climbing from there. And I definitely remember it being Application filtering anomaly, it was a block, and if I removed and permit whatever action (I can’t say for sure what one) it would halt the climbing.

Simply in matter of a two hour it would have used over 130MB of my memory.

23. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Unfortunately, no, everything is normal here. And actually for me the memory used is less when using LnsSvc instead of the normal launch.

The base memory allocated (when you open/close) is almost constant and never above 500 KBytes.

I just observed when the application is open and a connected application is added to the list in the Application Filtering page, the used memory is increasing (I suppose because of the way windows is caching icones) but as soon as the application is closed the memory comes back to the minimum.

Obviously having packets in the logs increases the memory used, but this is normally not the problem and the memory comes back to the default as soon as all packets are removed from log.

Frederic

24. Phant0m

Well I wish you weren’t wrong but, you are indeed very wrong, NO LOGGING WHAT-SO-EVER IN LOG SCREEN. And logging to log screen doesn’t even come close to the rapid and highly increasing climbs.

25. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The problem is when an application is blocked without no log, Look 'n' Stop does absolutely nothing, so it is strange to me the problem could be caused by that.
    If really in two hours the memory will climb to 130 MB I think many users will have problem and reporting this to us ;) and it is not the case right now.

The strange thing also is about this Open/Close impact on the memory. Actually all GUI applications seem to have this behaviour.
    In Look 'n' Stop, there is no special memory deallocation when closing the application and nothing special done just after that would need memory. So I don't know at all what is causing that.
    Perhaps the way Windows handles the open windows and controls. I'm testing only under Win2000 at this time, perhaps under XP things are different.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.