Memory issues that people have

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

No, not alzheimer. I'm talking about software. Oftentimes, I see people talk about software and one of their core reasons for using something or not is the memory print.

Technical issues aside, since memory operations are too fast to actually notice and it's the cpu that bottlenecks everything, why are people so worried about how much a program uses? Does it really make a difference if it's 20MB or 50MB when you have 1,000MB available?

Mrk

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well, I never did this. The CPU and MEMORY do NOT protect me, the security software does, at least I hope so :rolleyes: and I don't care how much CPU and MEMORY and VOLUME the software uses on my computer, including non-security softwares. My CPU and MEMORY are powerful enough to handle most applications.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i prefer (security) programs that use small amounts of memory so that the memory can be used for non-security software like Firefox and Counter-Strike.

also i dont have 1024 megs of memory, just 512.

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

We are in a spiral that requires us to buy a new computer every few years, because software requirements are rising.
    My first computer had a 20 MB hard drive, and it was filled for only 25%.
    Today the smallest antivirus application is over 20 MB. :eek:

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my first pc had a 1gb harddrive. the other day on my course someone changed the harddrive like we meant to but got 1gb one by mistake lol so it kept on saying mega low on hard drive space.

when i load up my pc with no programs running i have 488mb ram used of 1gb.
    that is to much if you ask me and im guess others would agree?
    but my dad is ordering KIS6.0 tomorrow!
    so then i can finaly get rid of f-secure.
    lodore

6. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I have a lot of ideas on this, but not much data to back them up so I'll just say

1-in my case I am often down to near zero in available memory (out of 1gb) because some programs (photoshop) do not release any RAM when they are running. Usually subprograms (plugins) will run with additional memory.

2-I think the page file gets used even when you have massive amounts of RAM still available. I don't know why, but it seems that way. the amount of free ram does seem to lower its use though.

3- I question the assumption that the cpu is the bottleneck. my cpu runs at 1800 mhz and my memory at 266 or 400 mhz (depending on who you believe)
    that aside, we know from the gaming community that faster main memory dramatically speeds up gaming...[actually sometimes it seems like the cpu's cache memory is the bottleneck]

I think peoples "Rules" for getting faster computer performance are interesting, and sometimes amusing. I say this because it seems like you can almost never make a blanket statement that holds true for everyone. Most of the time I, at least, cannot see any impact at all on performance. CPU, probably the most dramatic, Memory both amount and speed make obvious differences. as far as settings, i can only think of two or three that will cause you to actually see a difference.

The biggest appeal of having memory free is not having to ask yourself, do I have to free up any memory to....

-HandsOff

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

recently i have been replacing apps with lighter version. one of those was foxitpdf reader to replace the normal adobe one.
    is is faster and lighter.
    before i done stuff like that i was thinking that not long i would need a new pc.
    but now i dont think that anymore.
    and im ordering kaspersky tomorrow to replace f-secure.
    this way i will have 11 less processes running and alot less ram usage.
    should be under 300mb at startup then.

my 3200+ amd socket 754 processer fells so old since Intel just released quad core. most of the time it doesnt seem slow thou. sometimes it does.
    but with f-secure its slow anyway IMO.
    why get a newer pc when you can get lighter apps to replace the bloated ones and have your current pc run fast?
    lodore

8. HandsOff

I always hesitate to upgrade components because it seems like my whole computer is so old...but it still seems good enough, and I am now in the process of upgrading hard drive and controller. Way cheaper than getting a whole new computer!

BTW- i know someone will say it, it may as well be me....NOD32 is much lighter than Kaspersky. There is no comparison, really, but I won't try to change your mind. If K does not work out, it would be a good one for you to try.

Damn Mr. K....I am still asking my self why faster memory makes a difference. How about this: the cpu cannot process until it gets data out of the memory?

-HandsOff

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well if you dont know already i have a license for nod32.
    and im gonna buy kaspersky because i prefer it.
    i hope nod32 3.0 will have something like scan new and changed files only.
    i will try out nod32 2.7 to see what the final is like havent had a chance yet.
    i will also try nod32 3.0 when it finally comes out.
    lodore

10. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Today´s CPUs are very fast. Faster memory cuts access latencies. Usually(in case of cache misses, pipeline stalls or branch misprediction) the CPU waits a lot of time(nanoseconds) for data arriving. 1 GB or more of fast enough RAM makes real differences in smoothness. The same applies for hard drives
    Anyway, certain apps really slowdown cutting-edge systems and I´m not talking about RAM usage which in general isn´t important except in case of memory leaks

11. HandsOff

Hey, Lucas-

OK that makes sense. Perhaps you could clear up another little mystery. When I bought my computer it was stated that the processor was 1.8 GB pentium 4, and that the Front Side Bus was 400 mhz. (That was fast back then). The memory is DDR and Gateway called it 266B. after looking around, I finally dug up the specifications. It can use PC-2100, or PC-2700. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that those were not fast enough for a 400 mhz bus.

Later, I got a good deal on slightly used corsair PC-4000 cards. Here at last is the question: The computer definitely seemed faster. was that just placebo syndrome or does it make sense that it was faster? I ask because I'd like to double the size of my ram, but don't want to pay for capability I can't use.

HandsOff

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

A little math
    PC2100: 2100 MB/s of max bandwidth
    PC2700: 2700 MB/s of max bandwidth
    If you have a dual channel memory controller you have double bandwidth(4200 or 5400 MB/s)
    More bandwidth(faster clock) = looser timings/latencies
    400 MHz bus(Quad Pumped 100 MHz base clock): 3200 MB/s of max bandwidth

The Corsair PC4000 could be faster in case of tighter timings at lower speeds
    1 or 2 GB of decent PC2700/PC3200 memory is fast enough

13. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have always assumed that people who are concerned about memory usage only had 256 or 512MB RAM. As my poll showed, quite alot of people still have that small amount of memory and I guess they are the ones who complain.. And rightly so, coz if I don't remember wrong from the time I had that 512 one only had ~100MB free ram after windows and the essential apps where loaded.
    Otherwise I cant see any reason to worry about 50MB or so here and there.

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Someone said you should always buy as much computer as you can afford, and buy more ram than you think you will ever use. Truer words were ever spoken. My first pc came with 15MB of ram and apps shortly required too much ram for it. First they needed 32MB then 64MB etc. My second pc came with 90 MB and I thought I was set. Then I had to upgrade to 288MB of RAM and I thought I was set. The operating system was Win98. Then apps began to come out not supporting Win 98. Two years ago I bought another pc with 80 GB HD and 1GB RAM. So far I'm in good shape. :D

15. HandsOff

Lucas-

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look around and see what I can find price wise. I can hold out for a good deal, but of course, want to get something that is going to work well.

-HandsOff

16. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I have some interesting news for all you fellow RAMaholics! I discovered this by accident, but if you "own" AVG Anti-Spyware (ewido) and just scan your memory (I have 1G of RAM and an 80G Pentium 4 Hard Drive, the scan takes from 1 minute, 20 seconds to 2 minutes, 20 seconds), it will release, on average, 15% to 20% of the RAM being used. Here is a link from a post I made on the ewido forum!
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=152615
    Also, at all times I am running: AVG A-S, Comodo Firewall, HDD Hard Disk Temp Monitor, NOD32, PopTray (a mail notifier), Spy Sweeper, WeatherPulse and Windows Defender. Yeh I know, three anti spies and I never ever have any spyware since I only visit these types of forums, however, W D has some convenient features like disabling startup programs as opposed to just removing them (it can do that too) and it make lots of restore points.
    Anyway, that is why I eat up so much RAM!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.