Mcafee vs Comodo?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by disinter1, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Which is better in your opinion? I want the safest one, but I might consider Outpost because of the ad/pop up blocker. But is outpost even stable and safe enough? Please let me know! Thanks.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont know which is safer but id lean towards comodo. besides being free, its very powerful and configurable.

outpost 4.0 is stable for me. i dont know how it will react on your computer though.

3. btman

btman Registered Member

C-O-M-O-D-O.! It's great, that's all you need to know.

4. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Yeah, my girlfriend has comodo on her laptop(which is good!), but I would want to have a ad/pop up blocker in my firewall(to use IE) and is Kerio paid any good?

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Sunbelt kerio personal firewall is pretty good. Even after the 30 days when it switches to the free version it is pretty good. The price of it is also pretty good compared with other products.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

If want ADs & Active Contect blocking, Outpost Pro is your man.
    If you are looking for the freeware, Comodo is as good as Outpost.
    About Mcafee, I have never tried it and I would never think about it.

7. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Comodo as good as Outpost ? Are you sure ?

8. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

I haven't tried Comodo yet, but I can mention a few things I do not like about McAfee (I have the version from Comcast, not sure if it is different from the pay version).

It forces applications to be full access (allows inbound and outbound) and will not let you limit them to outbound only. If try to set it to Outbound only, it slaps your hand, and changes it back to Full Access on the next reboot. It does this to your default browser (Internet Explorer in my case) and to svhost.exe. I have all the automatic settings off, If they are on I'm told it does that to all allowed apps, on the pay version too. I posted a question on this on the McAfee forum and was told this is by design.

When my wife is using the computer and an alert comes up that she is unsure about, she would like to select Block Once, but that is not an option that Mcafee provides. If you do not want to allow it, then your only choice is to Block permanently.

It seems like it only has a log for incoming events, not for outbound or application changed alerts. (I believe the Plus version has more logging capability than my version though).

And McAfee products (firewall and antivirus signatures) will not update if unless you log in as an administrator. Another "feature" by design. Pretty lame when you want to put it on your kid's computer.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes,.. this is a point that users of Mcafee should be aware of, and cautious. Giving programs full access can certainly be a problem, (as mentioned here for mcafee)

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well, in my opinion Comodo seems to be better, but I did not want to write it like that. [​IMG]
    I have not tried Outpost Pro 4.0 (I removed database with nLite), but it does not impress me.

11. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Unless McAfee has changed the way their firewall works, this is NOT true. I used McAfee ISS 2006 for a year, and was always able to change the option of whether to allow "Full Access" or "Outbound Only" access for various applications without any problems what so ever. While it is true that BY DEFAULT all apps are given "FULL ACCESS", I was always able to change any app to Outbound Only.

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes, it is possible to change the rules, but on re-boot, all default (full access) rules are put back in place.

I should of included the
    Which is true.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  13. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I didn't have that problem, Stem. Maybe I had a "freak" version :p , but I can honestly say that I didn't encounter that.

I will say this, though....there were a few times that a particular app that I had changed to Outbound Only would be switched to Full after a version or product update (like an anti-spyware, Adobe, Java, etc. or similar type program), but I didn't notice that on a regular basis or for all programs. It only seemed to occur after an update of sorts, but once I changed it back to Outbound Only after the update/new version, it would remain that way until the "next" product update, etc.

But since I did encounter that little problem, perhaps maybe that is where some of the confusion about this is coming from.....

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have only installed 2 versions of mcafee, both versions did return the default rules to "full access" on re-boot(for mcafee own applications and for IE),.. I will install again later to recheck.
    (this was on default installation,.. no updates where made during/after the installation)

15. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

So what I'm getting is that Mcafee firewall ain't that good, well that's what I thought. Plus, does outpost pass as many leaktest as Comodo? To tell you the truth I would buy a lifetime license of Comodo if they had a ad/pop up blocker in it(if they were to sell it).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006
  16. WSFuser

the latest v4 of outpost is very powerful in regards to stopping leaktests. i dont know if one can stop more leaktests then the other; theyre almost even id say.

17. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Ad/pop ups is only a problem in your browser or IM application. Why waste resources by letting the firewall solve this problem when you can get a dedicated application to handle ads and pop ups. I would recommend you SUPERAdBlocker or AdMuncher for easy config.

Regards, C.

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running mcafee firewall ver. 8.0.207 and if I change permissions it doesn't change back on reboot once the permissions are set and applied they stay. I like the Firewall pretty well. it is very configurable or at least as much as I want to configure it.

19. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi bigc,
    I have checked, the latest version I have is 7.1.113.3 which does revert back to full access (for certain apps) on re-boot. They must of changed the way the firewall handles this,... which is good news.

20. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

A bit off topic here but. is nlite something like xplite ?

21. WSFuser

yes; the difference being xplite works on your existing installation and nlite modifies your xp cd files.

22. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

From my tests and most others comodo blocks every test on http://www.firewallleaktester.com

Outpost and comodo have the same blocking power id say.

There were also up there in kill testing but outpost did score higher.

What i say is outpost is the same as comodo except for the nice added features what you want. (eg. ad blocker...)

Choose what you want but if you dont really need the added features comodo is like a outpost but without extra and its free

23. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

Does that apply to the entries for your default browser and svchost.exe also? Those were the only ones I was having the problem with.

The version I referred to was also the older version, on my wife's computer. I'll have to see if Comcast offers the newer version to customers.

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

McAfee is right up there with Symantec the resource hog. The layout is confusing as well. After a month of investigating every firewall I could find, I settled on Comodo, and love it. My pc loves it too, and it runs great along side NOD32. Excuse me I'm getting emotional. :D

25. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Yeah, I know comodo is pretty good, but like I said I wanted to have my firewall control my ad/pop up blocker. But, I followed some advice here and tried out superadblocker and ad muncher(not at the same time), and boy did I have a blast. Superadblocker was good, but couldn't even open an other window, but it has alot of customizing options, but far to detailed to get it where it only stopped pop ups I didn't want. And ad muncher is FAR too hard for me to control, and was far too aggressive. Plus I hate having too many icons on the taskbar/toolbar, that's one of the reasons I wanted to have the firewall control the ad/pop ups. But, I'll say it again, I think Comodo is the best free firewall, beating even paid ones IMO, and if they ever had a paid firewall with ad/pop up blocker, that would be my dream firewall (which I doubt would EVER happen:( ) But, I will look into Outpost pro and I hope it is good, we'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.