McAfee VirusScan Plus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Matthijs5nl, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Hello all,

since I see there are being more threads created the last days about products which aren't really in the spotlight anymore, I decided to create another one.

I had a look on McAfee VirusScan Plus (which includes a firewall (the Internet Security suite doesn't contain anything of interest to me)), and I actually didn't dislike it. Which means quite a lot, since I dislike almost all antivirus/suites for some, sometimes really trivial, reason.

It did actually run really smooth on my system, it never annoyed me. Also there is nothing wrong with the detection of the McAfee products, just the cleanup engine needs some work. The interface needed some time to get used to. Since most products use an horizontal orientated interface, and McAfee uses an vertical orientated interface (which means you will have a scrollbar when you open up all the options). But after a while I really started to like it, it looks modern and is fast to navigate.

I think this product would be in my top four of paid antivirus security products, together with ESET, Norton and F-Secure (McAfee battling with F-Secure for spot 3).

Any more recent experiences and/or opinions on McAfee?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is among the top AV products and on average works just as good as other top AV

3. smage

smage Registered Member

Mcafee is so inefficient that it did not even dare to participate in the AV Comparatives dynamic test.
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/dynamic-tests

It also did not take part in the AV-C Retrospective/Proactive Test in November 2010.

If you are willing to spend money for security, give it to a vendor who is making an effort to improve its product.

Now for businesses I heard that if configured well, Mcafee Enterprise can provide decent protection for companies.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I am impressed with the McAfee virus lab however. I had a new undetected sample so I sent it to McAfee and in around 10 mins they sent me an extra.dat file to remove the malware till the next update is released. I can see how that can come in handy.

5. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

ahh nice to know they have a gr8 response time..but I have a question is this resource friendly? please let us know:eek:

6. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey,

If I recall correctly, McAfee was not certified by AV-Test.org for the 2nd quarter of 2010 tests run on Win 7 and the 3rd quarter of 2010 tests run on win XP because it scored too low [10.5 and 11.0 respectively out of 12] to be recommended.

I don't know about the Enterprise version of its software, though.

Carlos

7. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

We use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise at the college where I'm employed. It runs very light with no noticeable impact to speak of. We've been using it about 16 years, and I've never had an issue. Our IT people tell me the only things that got past it were a couple of email worms, about 2 years ago. That's on several hundred computers, many of which students use without a whole lot of supervision. I'd say that's not too shabby.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  8. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@Cimmerian
    McAfee Enterprise indeed used to be fine. However I'm under the impression that, just like Symantec Endpoint, it's getting a little outdated at the moment. Outdated in terms of detection in comparison with their consumer version and usability on newer Windows like on Windows 7 (x64).

9. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

i dont find any point of installing McAfee

its heavy + low on detections + most expensive in my country

why would anyone buy it ??

10. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Well what I just experienced is that it is not that heavy, and in my eyes it is also not low on detections.

11. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

explain " In mY Eyes " ... since my eyes are av-c,av-test,VB100

12. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

You are right on there, the last tests it did competete it did absolutely suck. But one year ago it had quite good results (especially on-demand).

13. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

yes, i remember it scored very good in on-demand scan .... I wish it was better as i have its license and its getting waste ...

anyways ... all major suites offer good protection

btw i just noticed that it had got BEST score in AV_TEST latest certification in performance .... got around 80-90 in slowdown which is best ... I heard that it was heavy ..

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Didn't it cause some major problems some time ago because the McAfee product detected Windows system files as malware and removed or clean those ?

It's probably been a while, but I tend not to forget such issues.

Not to mention the lousy customer service. I don't use the product anymore, but I couldn't even get the chat working (gotoassist or something).

15. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

that 1 incident is not be confused with product overall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.