mcafee virusscan 2008 for free (1 year)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by computer geek, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

antiabuse was privacy if im not mistaken.

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Oh, privacy. One should have said so in the first place, lol.

That is about like Symantec and their terms they made up such as Crimeware.

3. midway40

Thanks Jas, I could use all the well-wishing I can get :D

I did tweak on it some more today. I turned the annoying sound off, turned on protection at startup, and tweaked on SystemGuard some. My first scan did produce a false positive, the GRC firewall leak test I had in my Downloads folder was labeled malware. Otherwise so far so good :)

4. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Comcast, my ISP, offers McAfee VS free to its customers. When I used it, I liked the way it performed on my computer. It is surprisingly very light.

There were two things I didn't like. After a full system scan, there was no log to show you what was scanned. It just says a certain number of files were scanned, and no malware was detected. The other thing was, after running the leak test at GRC, I couldn't remove them from the log. I can't remember the exact name or section the leak test was sent to. After running the eicar test, you are able to remove the tests from the logs, no idea why you can't do the same after running the leak test.

Other than that, I liked it.

5. midway40

I see the leak tester in my Detection Log and Outbound Events. I was able to exclude it from being placed in quarantine. Btw, MVSP's firewall passed the test so the tester held no grudges against it, lol. When I clicked on more information at Hackerwatch about Leaktester.exe and it informed me that 98% of users blocked it ;)

But even under exclusion when I ran the test I still got a popup about it being a possible trojan. But on subsequent tests it remained silent.

Attached Files:

6. Graystoke

Hi Midway. In your second screen shot, where it shows the firewall leak testing utility, are you able to delete that listing?

7. midway40

No, GS, it only gives you the options under "I want to...". I am looking around now and seeing if there is some kind of setting on when these logs get cleaned out.

8. midway40

Only thing I found so far is that you can turn the event logging in the firewall off but I want to leave it as is. I don't see anything else that deals with how long these logs are kept or whatever.

Attached Files:

9. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am not sure the exact amount of logs it stores but it deletes the older ones as it logs new ones and the time it stores them in that case would vary depending on usage.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  11. midway40

rhuds, thanks for the forum link :) I didn't know McAfee had a public forum (another plus for M). I found out how to submit false positive samples so I sent them the GRC LeakTester all nice and zipped. I also downloaded the PDF manual to read later.

BigC, I was thinking that was probably the case. It might just go back 30 days and anything older is deleted. Usually though in other AVs they give you the option of setting how long to keep these files.

12. s4u

s4u Registered Member

Midway what happend to Norton?

13. Graystoke

I could never find anything, maybe you'll have better luck. :) bigc is probably right about how McAfee does it since pretty familiar with the software. It would be nice if they gave you options though.

14. midway40

See here :(

15. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

gee Mitch that's a bad break, I can get McAfee from my ISP for free, you find it better than NIS or about the same?

16. rhuds13

Mitch, I have been using onboard sound because my XF-I Extreme Gamer had problems with the mic in Vista and using Avast. Today decided to give XF-I another try now that on McAfee. It works now, no more sqeeling noise with mic. Thanks.

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks;

Does McAfee VirusScan 2008 have a feature such as

Buffer Overflow and Access Protection ?

The enterprise version 8.5i I currently use does come with such.

I just wonder how effective it may be. Anyone?

18. midway40

Larry, testing wise McAfee has a lower overall detection than NIS though heuristics are better. I do like it but I am being cautious, wondering when the other shoe will fall so to speak. I has surprised me with it's lightness and there are no more webpage hangs (which I had blamed on satellite latency) and no USB problems (which I had blamed on Vista--I have some apologies to make, lol).

rhuds, I have the same X-Fi card and you probably noticed in that link I posted that I had problems with it and DefenseWall. I am glad you got yours to working :) . I signed up on the McAfee board and I will be easy to spot--McMidway :D .

Perman, I know it has buffer Overflow Protection according to the logs screenshot I posted above. I am not sure about the other, I am still learning to speak McAfee-ese, lol.

19. rhuds13

I still use SAS Pro along with it for the extra coverage. But since SAS Pro is not seen by Vista Security Center and UAC always asks to do updates I have UAC off. Hope that is still safe enough.

20. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I had heard it was light but nice to know that it's true. I'm still fumming over ESS so still with my Norton tho from all the negative vibes I get from overall Norton bashing I can't say I feel as secure as I did with ESET 2.7 but in vista ESS just won't scan on demand a compressed file so I can't use it. Hang in there with McAfee. My brother in law & friend here in Maryland love it & have never had any problems of infections...

21. midway40

Perman, Access Protection seems to be only available in Enterprise editions. The closest thing to it is SystemGuard which alerts you when certain sensitive registry or program files are being altered.

rhuds, turning UAC off also turns off Protected Mode in IE7 unless you use FF with NoScript as your main browser. But then the small chance that if something gets by your protection and tries to install itself into your system you will not know anything about it until it is too late without the UAC prompt informing you so.

Larry, I liked Norton alot and hated that I had to leave it. It kept me clean all year with only one false positive (ironically it didn't like SiteAdvisor, lol). I think all the trouble started with 2008 version. I will hang with McAfee as long as it hangs in there for me.

I did find out something interesting this evening. MVSP includes a "gaming mode" which detects when you are playing a game or viewing a movie (anything that operates in fullscreen) and will not interrupt you with firewall alerts and such.

22. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Thanks for all the inputs about McAfee, Mitch. I'm having issues with ESS, for the first time ever. It's been doing tricks on me for a week or so :oops: . I'm thinking about a switch to McAfee, so all good things you write about it, gets sucked in here :D . Really hope it will work out. For the moment I'm running KIS 7, which I don't really like (long story why).

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  23. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

Midway40 got me to try McAfee, and so far I'm really happy with it.
    I'm tired of switching security software. :p (Haven't found anything "perfect" yet.)

24. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

yes yes yes, if you toggle it a bit it is quite good

25. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Maybe I am slightly biased since i am a mcafee fan but think about it, its the most basic software available, its like norton anti-virus, but does it have a firewall? does it have the "very cool" site adviser? Does it have the quickclean? does it have the shredder? Does it have the ip tracing? Does it have the network map? Does it have the virus locater? No, i don't think it does, but it is the same price. True that norton has slightly better detection but if you listen to siteadviser and not acsess %%%% sites what is the chance of getting a virus? It is very low is it not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.