McAfee Stinger

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Rainwalker, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Anyone ever find anything with this?

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It does work Rainwalker and is another little tool we can use.
    When at a friends house last year I was asked to look at the pc (you know how it goes, ''come on over for coffee'' and then when you get there ''can you look at my PC as well''!)
    I had no tools with me and Stinger was the only thing that I could get to run... took a while but it then allowed me to use other tools.

4. Rainwalker

5. Rainwalker

Greetings stapp....Interesting. So it DID work? Found and removed some junk? And I do know how it goes lol.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Only used it that one time, and as I said, it found and removed something which then allowed me to run other things. Downloading other tools didn't work initially and the internet kept shutting down so an ESET scan was out of the question to begin with.

I seem to remember the scan took a while but at least I was able to have my coffees while it ran :)

7. Rainwalker

" at least I was able to have my coffees while it ran :)" and that's a good thing :)

8. siljaline

Most welcome - wasn't meaning to pimp ESET links, I was just offering alternatives.
    If Stinger has worked for you - then the tool performed as it was intended. What ruffles my feathers is that the detections for Stinger can only be viewed in the readme file upon installation - unless I'm missing something.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

siljaline, first, Stinger is a standalone program that doesn't require installation. Yes, if you want to see the entire Threat List, it's located under Advanced > Threat List, however, details on new or enhanced signatures ("added" to each build) are always found in the Stinger page, under Release Notes.

As stapp stated, it is another little tool to have in your arsenal.

10. siljaline

Stinger is a stand-alone executable that one can run assuming the detection database it current, which was rare until now. This would be one issue I would have with the tool. The other, as I've stated is; there is no way to determine what the tool scans and detects other than what is listed in the current release notes.

This would not be in my war chest of tools I would use to run against a malware infection. My 0.02
    Just offering my learned opinion - I think the OP - Original Poster gets that.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Regarding what it scans, see Item #5, and the Settings screen capture below Item #8.

12. siljaline

I surrender, it's the next best thing since sliced bread. :isay:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.