Mcafee Launches Its New Line Of Products..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Legendkiller, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Scan engine 5100 is around 25% faster than 4400.

2. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I said that I would install VirusScan Plus and give it a good run through. Well, I did install it! :D However, the interface is something that I just can't live with, even on a trial basis. One of the most unintuitive that I've ever dealt with. Complex is fine, but this is just plain not well thought out. And furthermore, how dare McAfee turn on Windows Automatic Updating without asking! What nerve! :mad: I've suggested that McAfee release a stand-alone consumer level version of VirusScan that doesn't contain anything but the anti-virus (as well as the anti-spyware module) program itself. No security center, not extraneous BS. Something lean and intuitive (like the corporate version) that allows the user to fine tune to their heart's content. That program could be called VirusScan Pro.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah, i've already uninstalled VS Plus few hours after i installed it. It's just terrible.

4. Saw11_2000

Saw11_2000 Registered Member

I'm quite pleasantly surprised with the software checkpoints in TMIS 2007.

Anyone have any feelings of TMIS 2007 vs. McAfee's new suite?

Thanks.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, RejZoR, could you tell us more about your terrible findings??

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well i can't argue with detection of McAfee which is very good (engine 5100 rox :) ). But interface, oh my god. I have never seen so unlogical, mocked up and complicated interface ever. I mean EVER.
    Settings overlap 3 times, there are Basic and Advanced modes, both of course overlaping and you can reach some features only in Advanced mode.
    It was a real wonder to find Quarantine options. QuickClean thingie didn't even worked, just got some script errors and half finished page with checkboxes without any text. Did i meantion how awful is interface?
    Really i was like WTF with face like this :blink: when i saw this thing. And i hope no one will EVER ever say to me that avast! is complicated to use because it's bilions of light years ahead of this thing. Man i think i'll have nightmares. In this case TMIS takes the crown without any doubt (if we look just at how well organized and designed is interface).

7. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Yes, TMIS 2007 is the real suite IMO. McAfee just can not produce proper IS suites for consumers. :ouch:

8. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i think mcafee has messed up the interface and all the products completely...i don;t like UI for starters likewise with norton 2007...the experts are happy with new UI and term different benefits...but to me it doesn;t look nice...
    and also they have confused the customers with 6-7 different versions...but norton is going to be a bigger loser here which has even removed anti-spam,ad-blocking etc...
    TMIS 2007 has improved firewall,proactive defense and a nice UI,i feel good enough for me..

9. Saw11_2000

Saw11_2000 Registered Member

Then again, TMIS has always been known for its wonderful interface, and has won ease of use awards.

I think they sometimes put style over substance. :)

But, it's hard to complain, it's so organized...and the colors...well...they're pretty!

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, I noticed this when I was submitting samples via webimmune. I sent about 28 samples, and the automatic scan from WebImmune showed 2 samples as being detected as 'New Malware.n'. But when I scanned those with VS 10, McAfee did not report any such detection.

Considering that the WebImmune scanner would be closest to the enterprise edition, I made this conclusion.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

WebImmune is just more up to date. Remember, McAfee heuristics are "scriptable" so they can upgrade them on the fly anytime they want.

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I guess that would explain it. Thanks. :)

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I had to check out the new McAfee suite just to see what it was like. I went with the 3-in-1 trial version. I didn't like it. The main reason was that it slowed my computer to a crawl. I have a cable connection, and this new suite slowed down my browsing speed. I didn't run into that problem with VS 10. The GUI is ok. I wouldn't say it's difficult to configure, but TMIS is a lot easier. I think McAfee VS 11 and TMIS 2007 are pretty equal when it comes to the firewall. As for the browsing speed, I tried the new suite with the site advisor, or what ever it's called, enabled. I then unistalled the suite, and installed without installing the site advisor. It didn't make a difference.

If it weren't for the fact that it slowed down my computer, I might have kept it on longer. My computer performs better with TMIS 2007 installed. Besides, Trend Micro extented my license to July 2007. ;) :)

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Just curious, what are you computer specs? It seemd to do ok on my P4 2.6. Also, I didn't notice a real drop in surfing speed when I ran the speed tests at drlsreports but, everyones computer will react differently.

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

NAMOR...

P4 1.1 Gig, 1Gig RAM. No drop in the numbers with the speed tests, (Speakeasy.com and speed tests at dslreports). It's just that web pages took longer to load. Strange, I know, but that's what happened. Maybe I'll give it another try.

16. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

i got a year on my TMIS 2007 beta hymmm used old liscence

17. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I have seen no reduction in speed with McAfee v11.

I don’t like the interface. In fact….it took me several minutes to wind my way through the convoluted UI to find one of the McAfee screenshots from above in this thread.

But, having a pretty, logical, or even user friendly interface is secondary to me to level of protection. I look forward to comparative tests that utilize the new versions McAfee, Kapersky, Bitdefender..…

If McAfee still comes out near the top (as they usually do), I’m sticking with McAfee.

18. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

it didnt turn on windows automatic updates for me...

when i look at the security center, it said that my computer is not protected, and you can press the button "fix it" and it will fix all the problems it found including windows update... or you can just browse thru it and just click ignore for individual items you dont want mcafee to "FIX" like windows update...

by the way, im using MISS (mcafee internet security suite)

19. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

any good sicko?

20. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

slowdowns, nothing but slowdowns...

maybe because i use it on a test computer where i tested many antivirus and lots of appz... there could be some remnants of previously installed AV...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.