McAfee firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by notageek, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Well a friend of mine just got a new PC (his first ever). He wanted to know If McAfee is any good. I know nothing about McAfee cuz I have never tried it. Any know if McAfee's firewall anygood? Is there in problem with McAfee's firewall and NAV 2003 getting along? Oh yeah I might want to add this McAfee is like the $10.00 one you find at Wal-Mart that's just in the CD case.

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi notageek,

I was on the McAfee Firewall Beta Team. I beta tested the software from its beginning thru to the gold version. I continuosly had problems with open ports and it liked to crash my WinXpHome. I would not recommend it.

I would suggest Kerio as an excellent free alternative (or perhaps even ZoneAlarm :rolleyes: ).

Hope this helps,
    Kent

3. notageek

It works for me. Now I see what it's $10.00 lol

4. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

notageek,

To me it was not much of a firewall :D ..........
    I do not know if I would even pay $10.00 for it ;) , especially when there are better free alternatives.

Regards,
    Kent

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

with puff-m-d re Kerio.... excellent firewall

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Administrator

i would also suggest your friend check out Sygate's Personal Firewall (free version)...even it's default settings are very good! It is both application and/or rule based. i do not know about support since i have never really needed it very much....but they do have a forum where members can go and post concerns or read about it for more information.

Sygate Information Page
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Sygate's Member's Forum
    http://forums.sygatetech.com/

i haven't had any problems with it since it's last upgrade. i have it running on both my Win98se and my XP-Home and it gets along great with all my security programs and the other stuff i have on here.....it hasn't crashed on me yet. :D

snap

7. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi snap, Yes I liked Sygate very much, but it hated by AV, so had to ditch it. [actually it even stated in their known conflicts page it did not work with PC-Cillin, *sob*]

8. root

root Registered Member

It would probably work with PC Cillin if you disabled the web monitoring thingie it uses. Also need to ditch the PCC firewall.
    As for McAfee firewall. :mad: When they purchased Sygnal 9s firewalls, the bought two of the best firewalls ever made. They promptly managed to destroy both.
    I will stop now, as cursing and swearing are not allowed on this board. :doubt:

9. notageek

I sent him over to ZA. I figure since he's anewbie I thought I owuld send him to a firewall that didn't have rules. Thanks for all everyones info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.