McAfee firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dansorin, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

i've had Norton IS on my machine and it expired. now i'm using Avast free and the McAfee Personal Firewall Plus 7.1.113. since the McAfee firewall is an oldie, i'm wondering if i can use it with confidence. if it's still up to the job i'll keep it. should i change the firewall or not?

2. gery

gery Registered Member

there are some other choices better then this one. Zone Alarm free-PcTools free-ect but you can keep it . Even the new firewall included in the suite or VirusScan Plus is not that reliable. My opinion anyway

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It kinda depends on whether you're talking inbound or outbound protection. Most firewalls, even older ones, will be fine for inbound, but outbound is another story, with the newer ones usually promising more features and perhaps better overall protection in this regard.

4. dansorin

i need also outbound protection, thats why i don't rely on windows firewall. the McAfee personal firewall is ok, but it's old and isn't updated any more, so i wonder if it's still reliable. is PCTools personal firewall free better?

5. gery

gery Registered Member

I think pcTools would be better .it is light and user friendly.

6. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Some times you have also to consider what bugs had that certain version. So it's about an old version and we don't know if it had certain bugs that could make it less effective. I think that is better to try a free alternative recent version of the products that others have suggested here.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It could be better. I think it's only x32 though, no x64. I think I would try to find one that's still currently being updated and developed, particularly since you're interested in good outbound protection.

8. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

McAfee Personal Firewall 7 is a 2006 release and therefore it is starting to show its age. I'm sure it's fine to use, but if you're worried about it being too out of date, then I would upgrade your McAfee Personal Firewall to the latest version if you have a valid license to do so. If you don't have a valid license :)ouch: ), you can choose to keep the older McAfee Personal Firewall 7 or you could always uninstall that and turn on Windows Firewall which is sufficient as a firewall to help protect your PC.

Uninstall McAfee Personal Firewall: Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs. You may want to use the McAfee uninstaller after doing this which you can download (save it to Desktop) install (double click on set-up file on Desktop) and run it by clicking on this link. After downloading, installing, and running it successfully, restart your computer.

Turn on Windows Firewall (after McAfee Personal Firewall is removed; having two firewalls on at the same time can cause conflicts): Start>Control Panel>Windows Firewall>Check "On (recommended)".

Regards,

Mark.

Let me know what you end up doing (eg: Windows Firewall, upgrading McAfee firewall, staying with current McAfee firewall, other firewall etc).

If I were you, I guess I would upgrade my McAfee Personal Firewall to a new(er) version. If not, then I would probably just go with Windows Firewall (steps on how to do this shown above).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. dansorin

i decided to uninstall the McAfee firewall and go with PCTools firewall free. i didn't had any problems with McAfee, but it's old and is not updated any more. that gives me an unsecure feeling. windows firewall (XP SP3 x32) has no outbound protection and is not a solid option for me. i saw PCTools firewall has received good ratings from matousec.com, i guess that's good. PCTools is not the best but it gets updated, is user-friendly and it's free. i hope it will be ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.