MBAM vs SAS Pro resource usage

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by innovateusa, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innovateusa

innovateusa Registered Member

Currently using Symantec Endpoint 12.0 for Small Business - it seems to use too many resources and is a bit buggy though.

Was thinking of replacing with Microsoft Security Essentials + either:
    Full version of Malwarebytes Antispyware (w/ ip blocker off - real-time on)
    or
    Super Anti Spyware Pro w/ real-time on

The question is what uses fewer resources - SAS or MBAM? I'm hoping the combination one of those combined w/ Microsoft will be less than symantec. If not maybe I should turn off real-time for one of those and just schedule regular scans? This is for a small business so I don't think we can use the free versions.

2. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

In my experience Norton Internet Security 2010 or Norton Anti-Virus 2010 would use less resources than MSE (and SEP), if that's your main concern.

[removed] No need for outdated information.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I have SAS Pro which has never conflicted with my system (XP Pro SP3) while running MSE. They seem to mate up well.

That said, this week I began experimenting with using SAS Pro on demand despite its very small footprint.

I use MBAM on demand (don't own the pro version) but you should be aware that if you use it in conjunction with MSE you'll need to fiddle a little with settings to prevent some known issues.

See this thread, specifically Section I

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

have you patched ur SEP to the most current build? i believe they have improved it.

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

In Idle time SAS Pro took about 500 Kb resource (I am not kidding:) ). I am not sure about MBAM but I am sure it can't be lighter than that.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

superantispyware can be heavy on cpu while updating but otherwise its very light
    the cpu usage during updating is lowering every version.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well that does not seem to be his question...

8. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

Oh well.

9. innovateusa

innovateusa Registered Member

Sounds like I should go with SAS - if the CPU usage is too high I'll just disable real-time protection.

10. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Nope keep it's real-time protection on. It is very light on that. It only catches high during update or Scan. I think that is the same when you are w/o real-time protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.