mbam + comodo fw & d+.. do i still need an av?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by zakazak, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

Hi, I wonder if i would need an AV like Eset AV or Avast free AV (or the comodo av) when using comodo firewall & d+ as well as mbam pro ?

mbam pro is already like an AV? It dedects malware, removes them, it blocks links,...

I also wonder if MBAM would work with CIS / Avast / Eset or if having 3 different products would be just an overkill.

thanks

2. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Malwarebytes is a complement to a standard antivirus and it's designed to work alongside them. It's very good for some things (rogues, zero day...), but it's not so good for others. You mention Avast free, that's a good option, also Avira free or AVG free.

3. zakazak

I'm just worried about the ressource usage when having comodo firewall and comodo d+ , avast free (or comodo av or mse), mbam pro.

and whenever i watch a review on youtube about security products, at the end they will use mbam to dedect everything and remove the malware :p

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

MBAM isn't the end all of AM/AV. It does have a very good detection rate. A lot of reviewers will use MBAM, HMP and norton power eraser. Chances are that anything that is floating around will be detected by one of these scanners. Unless you have a true zero day malware. Then all bets are off.

To answer your question, I've used Comodo firewall, avast and MBAM realtime and didn't notice too much of a difference. I'm also running on an older dell laptop with only 2gb ram and a single core 1.6 cpu. Any newer laptop would be able to run these programs without too much hassle.

5. zakazak

kay.. and did you have any specific settings for those 3? So that they won't interfere with each other?

thanks

6. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

There shouldn't be any specific settings you need, they should work together without issues. But if you notice slowdown on your pc or cpu spikes, you will probably need to make an exclusion for MBAM and possibly avast in defense+ settings.

7. vojta

vojta Registered Member

This is what you need to include in the exclusions lists for Malwarebites:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes \Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

8. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

That list, pulled from the MBAM forum, hails from v1.4 and is in serious need of rewriting. But that forum has mostly devolved into which moderator can be first to paste the mbab-clean.exe instructions into a #2 post as the Universal Fix for whatever issue a user reports.

Anyway, add these (that showed up in v1.5) to that list of exceptions:
    mbamcore.dll
    mbamnet.dll
    ssubtmr6.dll
    vbalsgrid6.ocx

And these would be wise, also:
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Quarantine
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam-setup.exe

9. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

You are running Comodo Firewall with Defense + & MBAM Pro, so I think if you want you can add an AV otherwise the setup you are running already has an AV i.e Comodo Cloud AV which is the full database Comodo AV in the Cloud.

Thanxx
    Naren

10. zakazak

Comodo Cloud AV.. you mean the whitelisted/digitally signed check of comodo firewall / d+ ?

If yes, all the files that comodo av would dedect, are getting dedected by comodo fw/d+ already? (or atleast reported as unsafe)

Well.. avast/mse would have other dedections that comodo.. so that maybe makes it even more secure. But I also belive that comodo firewall & d+ with mbam pro is already enough protection and that every av would be a "waste" of ressources?

11. kjdemuth

You have to remember that the cloud AV doesn't work as quickly and doesn't have a quarintine option. MBAM also doesn't detect certain viruses that an AV would pick up. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be enough protection, just that depending on your surfing habits, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an AV.

12. khanyash

Why not go with CIS full suite i.e AV too. The AV has improved a lot & its on par with the AV's like Avast, Avira & AVG. And you have MBAM too for extra protection.

I use only CIS suite for protection & MBAM free for ondemand. Been using it from the time AV was introduced & the FW became CIS. Haven't been infected yet.

Thanxx
    Naren

13. shadek

shadek Registered Member

You'll be fine with MBAM and Comodo D+.

14. zakazak

because from what i read, other av's o(e.g. avast) are more lightweight + have better dedection. Besides that, the comodo av hasn't got many options (like start scheduled scans only when the computer is on idle,...). And completely removing the av and just having comodo fw & d+ while adding mbam pro is maybe the most lightweight & secure solution.

altough kjdemuth has a point with what he said about the av being "needed" :/

15. kjdemuth

Man you just put me on the chopping block. A lot of folks here don't agree with the needing an AV solution. I'm just saying that it might be something you feel that you need.

16. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

80% you need an antivirus

Malwarebyte is an anti malware and i beleve that it's necessery as an addition to the security build not as an antivirus

I did a little test

got a Hacker disk of the market (those black hat disk that is filled with all kind of stuff)

did a scan to that disk using Both MBAM and AVAST

avast caught more than 40 infection
    MBAM caught 11

i'm not saying that malwarebyte is not good "it's amazingly good"
    but not alone

17. zakazak

haha kjdemuth I'm sorry :D

@Ranget: its off topic but - where did u get a hacker disk and what is on it ? oO also what did it cost?

In my opinion AV's are getting less and less usefull as HIPS is taking over. But still I would want some kind of AV.. which I thought mbam pro could be as well.

18. khanyash

Just check that disk with Comodo AV & see the result!

Thanxx
    Naren

19. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

in my country the Market is filled with Pirated disks
    to be honest it 99.9% Pirated Softwares

we have a lot of Black Hackers disks
    it cost about 1 dollar to get one

the one i tested is an old Hacker disk just to be more safe

Sorry about getting off topic OP

I was just pointing out that MBAM not enough alone i didn't suggest any anti virus to the OP the choise is his
    you gave me an idea to make a homemade antiviruse tests

i will try to show the results in some other days

again sorry for going off topic

20. zakazak

no problem for being off topic :p its kinda interesting... never heard of such hacker disks :D

and would love to see a comparison of avast/cav/mbam on it :)

21. guest

guest Guest

What is a hacker disk? :D 1$?
    Any link or something?

I get tons of malware from specialized sites, and I test them against some AV's, I have never heard about the "hacker disk"

22. zakazak

HEY STOP BEEING OFFTOPIC !!!!11one

no i'm just joking.. a link would be indeed very nice :D I rly wonder what kind of files you find on those discs.

23. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

it's hard to get a link
    as far as i know the one who makes these disks collect them from underground sources

it contains a lot of tutorials , Books , Hack tools , Servers + crypters

and Usually the one who make the disk is a hacker so he goes on infecting all
    the tool in the disk with Loggers trojans and worms so he can collect zombies

those disk are an infested with all kind of Malware

i don't want to be harsh some of those disks are clean and just the av detect
    Hack tool

in short terms those are script kiddies Disks

24. zakazak

oh okay.. well for some malware testing it could be still handy :>

Anyway, tonight I watched a lot of reviews on youtube and it seems like Comodo Firewall & D+ with Avast Free AV and MBAM Pro seems to be a very good security setup. I just hope that it won't be too ressource heavy (compared to my current CIS setup).

Maybe I will also add prevx online free to that setup :p

thanks guys !

25. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

MBAM Pro and Comodo D+ are enough...;) :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.