Mayyoubeblessedmovie.com?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by RCGuy, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Has anyone ever heard of this site?

hxxp://mayyoubeblessedmovie.com

I received a forwarded e-mail with only the words, "Peace to you!" and the link above. I usually don't open Spam or e-mails that I'm not familiar with, however, my curiousity got the best of me.(The e-mail was entitled, "FW: may you be blessed.") And being the suspicious person that I am, ;) I'm wondering if the web address might be some sort of spyware site. o_O

If anyone has any ifnormation on this site, or if any else has received a forwarded e-mail that had the link to this site, please let me know.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  2. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks, snapdragin, for disabling the link. Didn't think about that. By the way, does anyone know of any really good anti-spyware programs(freeware) that gets rid of spyware cookies from blogs, etc.? I already have Ewido, Spybot, Windows Defender(which doesn't seem like it ever does anything), Ad-Aware SE Personal, and Trend Micro.

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

You're welcome, RCGuy. :)

As for the unknown website, I'm not familiar with it at all but given it was forwarded to you through email from an unknown source with no other information except a link, then that email would be considered spam and should just be deleted.

Here's some reading that might be helpful with identifying spam and what to do and not do, when you receive it: Protect Yourself: e-mail

As for your other question, since it is a different topic altogether, would you mind opening up a new thread on that subject so we don't have two separate topics going on in one thread. Thanks. :)

Regards,

snap

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Got curious, (dumb ;) ) and checked out the link. Used Firefox with the Flashblock extension, among others. The site has a flash animation of some sort but I did not click on it to view it. Was`t feeling that brave\intrigued\stupid.....:oops:

5. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Sure, snapdragin. But on a related note, my Ad-Aware scan just picked up a Data Miner Tracking Cookie called ad101com.adbureau for the first time and I was wondering if it could be related to mayyoublessedmovie.com or if anyone is familiar with this cookie. Also, I did a search on this cookie and the words "Host file" came up several times. Does any of this "click" to anyone in relation to spyware being picked up from a spyware site?

6. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I guess I was though. :D I had viewed the site using IE and basically the site showed peaceful nature images(e.g. the sky, clouds, trees, etc.) with this calm, peaceful, tranquil music playing along with it.

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

nah, just a little more curious, less paranoid then me. :cool:

Think that`s called social engineering. Also probably where that tracking cookie came from. ;)

8. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

9. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Not in this case - I've had a look at the HTML source and this site just has a flash applet. No web bugs, no tracking links, no Javascript abracadabra.

Presumably the original email was from an over-zealous "friend" rather than a spammer...

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I did the spam quiz part 1 and scored 5/5
    I did the spam quiz part 2 and scored 5/5
    No wonder I hate spam-emails :)

One thing I noticed :
    So Microsoft agrees with my standard advice how to treat spam-emails. :cool:

11. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Great info, eyes-open. I didn't think to do a search on mayyoubeblessedmovie.com. Also...

First of all, I just wanted to say that I had no idea who the person was who forwarded this link to me, unless, of course, they knew me. o_O Also, regarding the advice not to open Spam, normally I don't touch Spam, however, there was "something" about this e-mail that drew me in. .....Maybe there was some sort of really positive energy associated with this whole thing that was really hard to resist. After all, "more than 1,000,000 individuals have discovered her site." ;)

12. eyes-open

Your welcome RCGuy :) .

As to how it spread - it ( the link ) looks to have gone around very much like a viral.

I would guess that it probably had the benefit of an existing audience that is already predisposed to the general message and who are almost pre-engineered (for want of a better phrase) to the general concept of spreading the message.

Together this would probably explain how it was able to spread wider & faster than a normal viral would.

I would expect by now some badhat is already looking at how to take advantage of the success this enjoyed.

As to curiosity - I'm told it now splits its time between wiping out cats & harddrives. :D

Cheers
    eyes-open

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  13. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Eyes-open, I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying. What exactly do you mean by a "viral"? Also, what do you mean by "it probably had the benefit of an existing audience that is already predisposed to the general message"? It sounds as if you're saying that this whole project involved programming, automatic processes, and somehow finding out about knowledge and/or interests of the audience that this message was sent out to, as opposed to the "pass it along to someone who you think might be interested" concept that the one site described.

14. eyes-open

Virals are sometimes e-mails that are passed around. This might be because they are funny or clever. Sometimes they form part of an alternative advertising campaign and become quite well known.

As for the rest I was simply suggesting that when the subject of blessings appears in e-mail boxes or forums - there will likely be a proportion of the population that will be emotionally/spiritually ready to receive that message.

Whether through, for example, a religious and/or health driven acceptance/need of support from a higher power.

By pre-programming I simply meant that beyond the normal viral thing of 'hey - I must show this to ***** ' . There is the added dimension that 'Blessings', seem to me, to have a built in 'Pass it on' factor - 'Spreading the Word' might be another way to describe part of the existing philosophy that exists within religions. This would yet again reference a pre-programming/pre-disposition towards letting others know about this video and sending the link to them.

So I was simply suggesting that the pre-defined audience was already there in larger numbers than a normal viral would have access to - and that a proportion of that audience is both pre-disposed to spread the word and also in some instances, may enjoy existing pre-established networks to help achieve that more effectively.

Given that that the subject of how the link was spreading had already been raised - and that a stated aim of the project was to achieve a critical number, it seemed reasonable to look at what may have supported the achievement of that aim. That was just my take on the project - not a for or against argument for anything at all.

Hopefully I explained ok - the term pre-programming wasn't intended deragatively - just one term that came to mind when pre-disposed would have been better.

Cheers
    eyes-open

15. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks, eyes-open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.