Maybe a TrueCrypt dedicated Forum is needed?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by zapjb, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think it's about time we opened a dedicated TrueCrypt Forum.

One subsection labeled HELP! or HELP NOW! should cover it.

2. Fawkesguy

Fawkesguy Registered Member

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I agree. There is a lot of threads regarding TrueCrypt problems and questions on this forum.

hqsec

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I have been on the TC forums for years. The place is a mgmt ghost town. There is never any Mod or Admin activity there. Its starting to feel like an IP "honeypot" or something along those lines. Why host a site where Mgmt of any kind is absent on the front end. Makes no sense to me. Kind of an uncomfortable feeling when you are there. My take.

5. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I'd be in favor of that. However, we would also need to encourage additional expert users to participate.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. zero_Phil

zero_Phil Registered Member

Good idea. I don't know why anybody uses TC. It's more trouble than it's worth.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Then what do you recommend that is a complete alternative to TrueCrypt that is less troublesome? Or is encryption in general "more trouble than it's worth"?

8. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

The trouble with TrueCrypt is operator error. You cannot imagine how many people deploy absolute full encryption without even studying the manual, making rescue disk backups, making volume header backups, etc..... I cannot even count the times I have helped someone try and retrieve data they lost and sure enough ----- what is a rescue disk? Ummmmmm, I can't seem to find any of my volume header backups!! Ummmmmmm, I used a Windows install disk and stupid windows "FIXED" my disk and burned me. Really!! If you spent a few hours reading the forums there you would have seen dozens if not hundreds of threads that create an echo of the same stuff over and over. I run into the same song with Linux and DmCrypt/LUKS, but its much less because usually linux folks are more cautious about backing up things like headers and stuff. And yes, the linux headers all need to be backed up just like TC. I have compiled it several times and have used modified code and never have I lost any data at all. Not because I am expert but because I backup my backups.

9. wilder7500

wilder7500 Registered Member

+1

I tried to signup over there, but it wouldn't accept my email, I finally gave up.

10. Haggishunter

Haggishunter Guest

What I suggest is BestCrypt from Jetico. They even got a "BestCrypt Development Kit" that allows you to evaluate the existence of backdoors. TC has got a certain history. Many years ago, there were issues with E4M and Drivecrypt. That is why - apparently - TC started. Still, nobody knows where they come from. The bottomline is - as usual: There is nothing such as a free lunch.

11. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I would greatly prefer it if all of the TC stuff went into its own forum, as I'm starting to lose track of all of the scattered threads. It would make things easier for the users too. Plus, it would de-clutter the current privacy forums.

12. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's the TrueCrypt paradox. It attracts Windows users who expect hand-holding, and by the time things go wrong, it's often too late.

If dantz likes the idea of having a dedicated TrueCrypt forum on Wilders, I totally agree.

I also think that a few FAQs would address the most common questions. I'd offer to help, but I don't know TrueCrypt very well.

13. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

System encryption and hidden volumes should be locked out or hidden in some way. A noob should only be working with file containers. Hopefully any future version of TC will have these "advanced" features hidden in some way for new users. Activated only via command line, registry tweak, etc...

14. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

As I have understood it, the problems with TC´s system encryption arise from the fact that it´s not integrated with Windows. But system encryption will be standard and enabled by default in Windows computers. So, that seems the way to go.

15. mirimir

Well, yes ... but that requires trusting Microsoft etc.

And that's why some prefer TrueCrypt.

16. zorkling

zorkling Registered Member

Well as one such stupid user I guess I'm part of the problem since I messed up my TrueCrypt volumes in Windows. I'd been running volumes like that for a few years and this is the first time I've had an error. I started a thread and dantz has been very helpful to me. Even if I don't get my data back I'm appreciative of his assistance. The incident has also taught me a lesson about the risks of relying on TrueCrypt absolutely. I understand why more experienced users are sick and tired of the same issue time and again. In response to this personally, I've created backup headers for my volumes. My ignorance of the software after all these years was inexcusable.

17. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, we can't actually have a "TrueCrypt" forum section because TrueCrypt is a specific product, with owners/developers who have their own official forum elsewhere. The only brand/company/product forums we have here are officially sanctioned by their owners/developers.

However, I can make an "encryption problems" section to hold threads about the problems people have using encryption products. General talk about encryption itself, or encryption features within privacy tools, could still go in this section along with other privacy related technology. So things like the encryption within TOR, or storing passwords in an encrypted password manager, and the like, would be here because they are part of general privacy tech.

18. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I see that you've created the new section and have moved a large number of encryption-problem-related threads into it.

Wow! Now that I see all of those threads together in one place it looks rather daunting. But thanks, we'll try it! I think this will make everyone happier.

19. mirimir

That's very cool. Thank you, LowWaterMark.

20. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thank you LWM!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.