Maxtor S-ATA slower as P-ATA with TI9?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nick123, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick123

nick123 Registered Member

Hello, TI9 b.2337 needs about 22min. for a fully backup on a Maxtor P-ATA (2 Partitions 60 and 20 GB, backup only the 60 GB part.). Motherboard is ASUS p4c800-e deluxe, 2 GB RAM. If i change the HD with a S-ATA 200 GB Maxtor (2 Partitions 60 and 140 GB, backup only the 60 GB partition) needs about 2 hours! Both 60 GB partitions are boot-partitions with win xp pro sp2. Why?
    Thanks a lot.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello nick123,

Assuming TI is backing up from within Windows then it's most likely down to the difference between the PATA Controller and SATA Controller chipsets, along with their respective drivers. I actually had the opposite problem to you and abandoned my PATA Controller altogether because the ITE GigaRAID IT8212F Controller/driver combination turned out to be a well known dog (i.e. SLOW)!!

What SATA chipset does your motherboard use? If it's a Silicon Image one, did you have the option to utilise either the SATAlink or the SATA-RAID mode when installing the drivers?

Notwithstanding any of the above, if your SATA drive contains a corrupt file system or bad sectors then TI will default to sector-by-sector (rather than in-use sector) imaging, which is very slow. You can check this by running Windows XP's check disk utility on each partition of the SATA drive (select "Start" > "Run" and type chkdsk x: /r, where x: represents the partition being tested).

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nick123,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify whether the problem appears when the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows or when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0?

Please also do the following:

- Boot into Windows from the PATA hard drive and create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Boot into Windows from the SATA hard drive and create Acronis Report once more;

- Rename the reports created to report_pata.txt and report_sata.txt accordingly.

Please note that if you have an ability to boot into Windows with both PATA and SATA hard drives connected then one report would be enough.

Could you please also let us know where you save your images to?

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Yes, it's not teh size of the drive but the size of the used sectors that matters --- unless TI is forced into sector-by-sector (i.e., all secrtors used and not used) mode. And it's a slower mode even if it was doing only the same number of sectors.

sh

5. nick123

The problem is solved! The BIOS of my ASUS Mobo was set to "support enhanced IDE Modus on S-ATA + P-ATA". Now it is only set on "S-ATA". It works perfectly (backup takes about 15 min. ).
    Thanks.
    nick123

6. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Nick! I have the same MoBo and will have to look at my settings. I have a 1/2 Terabyte SATA Raid0 on the ICH5R and a another 160GB SATA Raid0 on the Promise.
    All 4 are Maxtor SATA drives.

Do you know which BIOS you are using? I believe I am still on 1019 Beta. :D

7. nick123

The Bios-Version of my ASUS P4C800-E deluxe is 1023 Beta 001.
    I had also the same Problem (S-ATA or S-ATA and P-ATA)with an ASUS Mobo P4P800.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.