Maxthon Cloud Browser V4.4.4.2000

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Which ones are you using? And I wonder why no one as attempted to make a script-blocker.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I was using Flager until very recently, and before that Maxthon Flag. I don't use any now and they both stopped working properly with consecutive Maxthon updates. Mx has literally everything I need without extensions anyway. I'm guessing a script blocker will be the next logical step, probably like ublock or something.

3. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

The two extensions that I use regularly with Maxthon are Last Pass and Evernote. Both work very well. My only complaint is that sometimes they don't remember the login and I have to login; of course, that's not a big deal. The only other minor issue I have with Maxthon is that at least once per week, it forgets my home page and won't start up into my home page.

Other than those minor issues, I love Maxthon. It is still the fastest browser that I've tried.

4. Daveski17

It is fast, that's for sure. Flager was working well up until the last update but one. I did have some problems with Maxthon on Vista where it would blank all my customisations back to vanilla occasionally. I solved this by logging into the cloud. It's never happened on Win 7. Mx doesn't really need any extensions but I would like something like WOT or ublock coded for it eventually.

5. Rasheed187

Well, I guess you're right, Maxthon does have a lot of handy standard features. I feel the same way about Opera 12, I'm currently using only 4 extensions: ScriptKeeper, Adblock Plus, Ghostery, and Image Autosizer. So Maxthon needs a script-blocker and the ability to put tabs on bottom, to make it interesting again, at least for me.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hmmm...Do you mean in the basement or on bottom? :rolleyes::D

7. Daveski17

I don't know about the tabs on the bottom in future releases, but I think eventually some form of script blocker will either be considered or developed. There seems to be a general desire for one amongst most users. Maxthon do listen to their user base requests. The recent addition of ABP is a testament to this. I'm particularly impressed with the Android Maxthon's inclusion of ABP, regardless of it breaking a couple of pages for me. I can live with that as I have Dolphin for backup lol.

8. Rasheed187

Yes that would make sense, especially after adding ABP.

I knew I should have clarified that. :p

9. Daveski17

I don't see it happening soon.

10. Rasheed187

That's what I'm afraid of. Perhaps we should contact the makers of Ghostery and µMatrix?

11. Daveski17

You'd be better off trying to convince the Maxthon devs first. I stopped using Ghostery years ago when it got bloaty and broke pages for me. It was a good idea but then it was acquired by an advertising company, which I thought might produce a conflict of interest. Either way, rather like ABP for Firefox, it seemed to get needlessly over complex (for me anyway).

12. Rasheed187

Yes I know, I removed Ghostery from Firefox months ago, but they have fixed the bugs. On Opera 12 it has always worked smoothly. It also does bother me a bit that it's made by an ad company, but on the other hand it just works. But anyway, it would be interesting to ask the developers if they could easily develop extensions for Maxthon. I just have a feeling that its internal extension system is not advanced enough, but I may be wrong, especially now ABP has been added.

13. Daveski17

IIRC Ghostery did work well on (Presto) Opera and I think I used it for longer than on Firefox. I think it's more of a case of Maxthon still being a minority browser and there just isn't enough interest in extension development in the Mx community as a whole. The Maxthon devs probably devote their main time and resources to keeping the browser itself running well.

14. Daveski17

15. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Same here with Maxthon. Tried IE 9 and the test is blocked.

16. Daveski17

Maxthon does have the purported ability to check certificates though.
    maxcert1.jpg

maxcert2.jpg

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

A Chinese browser. The same guys that are constantly hacking US systems. As an example 800 million SS numbers etc. at Anthem last week. And they want me to support a Chinese browser?:eek:

18. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@twl845 Why not? I've been using Chinese software for years, and they make excellent software.

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You miss the point. It's not that the software isn't good, but would you buy something from someone who robbed your house?

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Are the people who make Maxthon the same ones who are hacking US systems?

21. Daveski17

My grandmother was half Cantonese, as far as I know she never robbed anyone. FYI:

'In 1999, current CEO Ming Jie "Jeff" Chen founded Hong Kong-based Mysoft International Limited to distribute the MyIE browser. In 2005 the company received seed funding from venture capital firm WI Harper Group and Morten Lund, the first Skype investor, and Chen moved the company to Beijing. In 2006, Maxthon received further investment from the US-based venture capital firm Charles River Ventures.' ~ Wikipedia

I suggest doing a bit of research before any Invasion of the Body Snatchers type responses.

22. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I went ahead and sent out a report to Maxthon, about this issue.

23. Daveski17

It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

24. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Thanks for your attempt. ;)

If you have some feedback from Maxthon later, I´ll appreciate your posting about.

25. Daveski17

Hmmm ... we seem to have some strange fish here. I decided to check the 'Badfish' site on Maxthon for Android.

MxAnd.jpg
    Fishy indeed and an epic fail!

DolphinAnd.jpg

Dolphin shot down like a fish in a barrel too.

ChromeAnd.jpg

Oh cod! Chrome came in first plaice in netting the security. Hurrah! :argh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.