Mathematical Obfuscation Aainst Hackers Is Focus of New Cybersecurity Center

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Mathematical Obfuscation Aainst Hackers Is Focus of New Cybersecurity Center

-- Tom

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

This is sort of a logical extension of things like ASLR, but it sounds like an absolute nightmare for debugging. And optimizing compilers already introduce "Heisenbugs"; I can scarcely imagine what an obfuscating compiler would do to large modern programs. I'm not really in a position to comment, certainly not as an expert; but it looks half-baked.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Gullible,

I'm sure that the focus is more along the line of making the code less probable to be hacked by increasing the probabilities against it being cracked which is not so half-baked.

-- Tom

4. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

... Wait, this is not something that works at runtime?

Answer: no, apparently it is not:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/scrambled-code-keeps-software-safe

... This isn't security, it's runtime encryption on steroids. The IEEE calling it "security" is rather offensive IMO, and really raises my hackles.

This wouldn't discourage fuzzing or black-box debugging at all, it would discourage reverse engineering. Exploiting the software would be possible, knowing how it works not so much. It's about protecting trade secrets, not protecting consumers, IMO.

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.