Managing Archives

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by wptski, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Using HDM2011S but probably this can be said about other products also.

I'm making differential backups to a external USB drive. After a while I want to delete some older archives to regain disk space.

You have the option to delete an archive but it's a not a physical deletion of the archive on the HD itself. Unless I've missed it, there's no way do this from within the program.

Really, I don't see the point of the delete option available but maybe I'm missing the concept??

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

There is option to Delete files physically:

* right-click archive in Archvies tab and select Delete
    * in the new window tick the checkbox to delete files physically

Alternative way is to delete required diff backups manually and update archives database accordingly.

3. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Geez, how did I not see that check box? Thanks!

4. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I use a docking station and just got another drive today. Checking it out, I did a backup and deleted with the box checked. It deleted all but one file in the folder and that's it. That's odd, hey?

5. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

What file remains in the folder?

If archive is deleted physically via Paragon - only archive files are deleted. folders structure stays intact. So you can delete empty folder manually.

6. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I thought that it was something with the new drive but it does the same thing with the older one also. For example a differential backup created on 2/26, the folder remains with a modified date of today with the single remaining file of img.2_260211_203002018.003 with a modified date of 2/26.

7. msruby64

msruby64 Registered Member

I'm using Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 Free and have a similar issue. I've deleted a few archives, but the disk space does not seem to be freed up.

I deleted the archives by clicking on the Archives tab and the right clicking the archives at the bottom of the screen and deleting them.

On the right side of the screen I see two folders under Paragon Backup 2011 with files dating from before the remaining archives.

I don't see the checkboxes to delete the files that was referred to in one of the posts.

8. wptski

wptski Registered Member

If your viewing archives in their pane not the Explorer pane in the upper right-hand corner. Rt click, select delete and the box should have a box to check to delete the archive from your HD. I find that Paragon gets mixed up when the delete from HD is checked and archives that you didn't select end up getting greyed out. Just delete the archive from the Paragon database and delete all of it manually from your HD using Windows Explorer.

Not sure why your deleting doesn't result in more disk space.

9. msruby64

I see what I believe is the Explorer pane you're referring to, but right clicking only gives me the options Export or Refresh. I've attached a screen capture to show what I'm seeing.

paragon_screen_capture.gif

10. wptski

wptski Registered Member

No, you right click on one of the two archives, lower part of your capture, not in the Explorer Pane.

11. msruby64

Ok, I guess I did the right thing. There were 4 archives in the lower part of the screen, and I deleted 2 of them. The 2 remaining archives are about 75 GB each, however the disk usage didn't change. Paragon Backup still is using about 228 GB of disk and not 150 GB. I'm not sure why that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.