Man Gets 37 Years of Solitary Confinement for Updating Facebook

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hawki, Feb 13, 2015.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Man Gets 37 Years of Solitary Confinement for Updating Facebook

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has put out a new investigation finding that nearly 400 South Carolina prisoners have been subjected to solitary confinement because they used social media. Thanks to a 2012 rule change at the South Carolina Department of Corrections, “creating and/or assisting with a social networking site” became a Level 1 offense, which puts it on the same level of offense as “murder, rape, rioting, escape and hostage-taking.”

http://www.alternet.org/man-gets-37-years-solitary-confinement-updating-facebook

Link to EFF report:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/...mates-sent-solitary-confinement-over-facebook

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I guess it's a good thing they introduced that legacy contact feature.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Yes. I have heard that feature is very popular on "Death Row."

[My OP is likely OT, as it has more to do with Correctional Facility Policy than Facebook, but it does concern Facebook and smartphones and the Net. I found it interesting, (and that policy to be cruel and unbelievably overly-harsh to the point of being extremely absurd).

"Prison systems have a legitimate interest in keeping contraband devices out of their facilities [some prisoners access the internet through contraband cell phones]and preventing inmates from engaging in illegal activities through the Internet....if a South Carolina inmate caused a riot, took three hostages, murdered them, stole their clothes, and then escaped, he could still wind up with fewer Level 1 offenses than an inmate who updated Facebook every day for two weeks.......

The policy is also incredibly broad; it can be applied to any reason an inmate may ask someone outside to access the Internet for them, such as having a family member manage their online financial affairs,...or just staying in touch with family and friends.........

Facebook’s stated policy is to suspend these pages [inmate profiles] under the auspices of Terms of Service (ToS) violations .... Facebook goes beyond its stated policy and agrees to SCDC requests to censor inmate pages even when no ToS violation has been alleged." [Perhaps Mark Zuckerberg is afraid of getting a traffic stop in SC.]

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/...mates-sent-solitary-confinement-over-facebook]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.