"Mamutu: The end of an era"

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ichito, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well, it has always been. :rolleyes:

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

To be honest, I was never really impressed with Mamutu. I´ve tested it way back, and I´ve also seen tests posted on YouTube, and it didn´t really offer strong protection like pure HIPS tend to do. :)

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's why you feel that way. Mamutu is not a HIPS but what's known as a Behavior Blocker. A pretty decent one if a user thrives on such a rare program like this designed for detailed analysis monitoring with auto-suspension and termination capability.

I supposed it might be likened to the Heuristic's most AV's employ now but to a lesser degree.

Depending on it's intended design, they are meant to compliment mainstream security solutions by addressing additional end points of potential system interruption such as where zero day newly introduced malware might make haven to skip past conventional security means.(

I find it ironic and highly suspicious that since x64 bit systems have been introduced, we have NO MORE purely classical HIPS programs or now Behavior Blocker programs in active development anymore like we did when 32bit XP was all the rage.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Most people dont like HIPS either. :rolleyes:
    Except me!

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Actually Mamutu is pretty impressive. I have been testing out Emsisoft Antimalware 8.0 that now includes Mamutu.

I had an alert yesterday from the behavior blocker for Adwcleaner. I guess that app must be below EAM user community threshhold of 90%. In any case, it trapped Adwcleaner and initated a cloud scan on it. It also caught the hidden internet connection that is also part of Adwcleaner.

The difference between a HIPS and behavior blocking is a HIPS relies on preset rules to determine if an app is doing something it shouldn't be. Whereas a behavior blocker says this app is unknown to me and/or is doing something suspicious and I am going to flag it. Behavior blockers are more effective against exploits than HIPS.

6. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Mamutu is part of EAM for years....;)

7. spywar

spywar Registered Member

ppl tend to forget that :argh:

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Behavior Blockers are so unnecessary.:(

9. siketa

siketa Registered Member

It is true their golden era has passed but I wouldn't tell those words...

10. anon

anon Registered Member

11. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Actually, there are a lot more HIPS and Behavior Blockers in development than back in the 32bit XP era. They are usually just developed as part of bigger products, simply because a pure HIPS or Behavior Blocker is unable to sustain a company or even a single person financially long-term.

12. itman

itman Registered Member

From the above Emsisoft link, I believe this sums up the question nicely:

Advantages and disadvantages of a HIPS are clear – maximum control of your system for experienced users who know how to evaluate arising alerts. If you prefer concrete decisions and as few alerts as possible, though, you had better opt for behavior analysis.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In my view there's a reason for this now. And it's exclusively and solely due to it's once independent technology having been recognized as a potential marketing/revenue enhancement integrated into the larger financed commercial vendors. They taken it over and impliment it as you say into their own respective bigger products.

Of course a company or individual specializing in HIPS alone didn't stand a chance of progressing financially after the market bullies hopped on their bandwagon.

14. guest

guest Guest

I am starting to think the best replacement " kind-of" for Mamutu is the free edition of NoVirusThanks EXE Radar even though it isn't being updated either but it still does it's job of alerting you when something is amidst and it will still actually run, I don't think Mamutu will after the key expireso_O o_O o_O

15. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Mamutu allows file execution...and continously monitors its behavior.
    I do not remeber I have every seen a popup asking me if I want to allow running of a file/process.
    This is OA's job as a HIPS.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Since the free edition is not supported, and no longer available from the publisher, that is not the best advice. The paid addition is so reasonably priced that shouldn't be a deterent.

Pete

17. Rasheed187

I must say I tested it way back in 2009, perhaps it has been improved since then, but just look for the test on YouTube, it didn´t look too good. :rolleyes:

And i´ve never been a fan of so called behavior blockers, I have to disagree about them being more effective than regular HIPS.

I was also not impressed with the much praised ThreatFire back in the days. :)

18. Rasheed187

Yes exactly, nowadays almost all security suites come with HIPS on board, but it´s not really my cup of tea, I like to use standalone tools.

I must say that Kaspersky and Avast Internet Security do look kinda cool though, especially the SafeZone and Sandbox feature. :)

19. itman

itman Registered Member

The main disadvantage of a HIPS is that they have to be installed on a "clean" malware free system. Most have some type of training period where your system is analyzed as to app execution and rules created. If malware is present, it will be allowed just the same as a clean app. PrivateFirewall, Defensewall, etc. fall into this category.

Comodo's Defense+ is a bit of an anomoly in that will default define what areas of the OS and registry to monitor activity for. It additionally allows the user the capability to fine tune those areas or add new areas to protect.

20. guest

guest Guest

I never thought that it should be a deterent

21. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

It was inevitable that Emsisoft would follow Symantec and Checkpoint in abandoning a separate stand-alone Behavior Blocker. Nowadays all security products are integrated so all the components work with each other. There is no longer a need to buy separate security products to get comprehensive protection on your PC. :thumb:

22. NormanF

Good question. It doesn't make sense for the company to work on two security products when it can work on one and make it better. And this means a lower price and improved product for all the customers. An integrated security product is the way to go. In my opinion, I wonder why Emsisoft waited so long to make this move. :isay:

23. NormanF

Yup! And who is going to pay Emsisoft to maintain a product when its competition already offers security suites with integrated BB modules? The company has to follow the competition or go out of business. This is a practical decision and delaying work on the main product line would neither serve Emsisoft's future nor benefit its customers.

24. siketa

siketa Registered Member

So, the next step is to abandon OA and integrate it into Emsisoft Internet Security?

25. ichito

ichito Registered Member

@NormanF
    Except practical decision...do you really know about what people like nad what they need? And how do you would imagine such "super-hiper-security composition" whit all components?
    I will try go further...thanks siketa...
    we should make only one for all the best and proper ""super-hiper-security composition"

Please Norman...some your words sound like joke (?) :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.