Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ZeroVulnLabs, Jan 25, 2016.

1. ZeroVulnLabs

ZeroVulnLabs Developer (aka "pbust")

Integration is the path. Concrete plans and dates not yet available though.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Good idea although I would like to see MBAE as is as of today: a standalone app. I don't want to use anything else but MBAE as is. How do you plan to satisfy different tastes? :rolleyes:

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

... And I wouldn't like MBARW to be bundled with MBAM only to cause a conflict with HMP.A. MBAM would be gone quick smart in that case.

I'm glad that decision isn't mine to make. :isay:

4. ZeroVulnLabs

ZeroVulnLabs Developer (aka "pbust")

We'll try not to screw it up, I promise.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

:argh: Good luck with that!

You know what they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time... :ninja:

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I just found this.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/178029-so-what-is-it-doing/#entry1016201

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Well you can always disable components... But I'd say custom install would work best for us and them.

8. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Beautiful, this will become one of the best, if not the best, software for all around protection. Others will argue!

9. simmersK00L

simmersK00L Registered Member

keep trying... I rebooted my win7/64 this morning, and mbarw quarantined sysinternals process_explorer64 as ransomware, and had a few other issues too. it took several reboots and about 90 mins to get it sorted out, and then I uninstalled it. also running mbae (paid) without any problems.

10. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Custom install is a good idea, else retain the option to install separate components, as well as the all-in-one who don't want the hassle.
    Also have had FP's with Bvckup 2, SyncBackSE, Reason Core Security and Office Click to Run so far - will see if I have still have the data to report on their forum later.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

RubbeR DuckY
    Well, that sucks... Unless they are planning to integrate it into Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit which I doubt it'll happen...

12. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Agreed...to me ransomeware is effectively an exploit and therefore it would make sense to combine MBAE & MBARW into one product labelled MBAE Pro (or something of that ilk).

Baldrick

13. Baldrick

Now to why I am really here today...have been running MBARW on a spare machine and have been noticing some strange goings on since I did so. In a number of cases since MBARW was installed I have created some new folders and dropped some files into them...PDFs, sound files, etc., and then after a reboot I find that the folders have disappeared...for no apparent reason. Have now removed MBARW for a while and repeated the set up that has been 'disappearing' to see if it happens again whilst MBARW is 'offline'. And will post back as to what I find...but in the interim has anyone else seen any behaviour resembling this at all?

Regards, Baldrick

14. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I hope Malwarebytes offers an Integrated product. :thumb:

15. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Malwarebytes Internet Security=MBAM+MBAE+MBARW :)

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

That could be really strong application. Especially if it could run next to other AVs.

17. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It's not going to happen since MBARW is a 35 MB download, I wonder if this can be improved. And I would also not like to see it in MBAM, since I don't feel like running it in real time. To be honest, I don't mind MBARW being a standalone app, same goes for MBAE.

Is it possible to put this tech into a smaller package, similar to MBAE?

I have decided not to install MBARW yet, because of the false positives, and apparently it's not foolproof yet. But I'm sure these things will be fixed.

18. paulderdash

Agree. It seems that it may be rolled into MBAM: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/178029-so-what-is-it-doing/#entry1016201 (link already posted by @Krusty13 above)
    I would still like it available standalone mainly so as not to have MBAM in real-time mode to use MBAWR functionality.
    If they roll it into MBAE ... well for now, I still prefer HMP.A.
    I have premium MBAM and MBAE, but would still prefer custom installation or separate programs. More choice.

19. paulderdash

+1
    But I think @pbust is sensitive to this.
    They still have a way to go with the FP's :)

20. bidd

bidd Guest

It'd be nice if they were all rolled into one, and given the option where each module could be disabled or removed like what can be done with the Avast modules.

21. Baldrick

Agreed...I think that HMP.A is the benchmark in terms of what is best out there...it covers so much; safe browsing, anti exploit, anti ransomeware...really a great utility kit all in one package. But then again, having separate apps would allow users more choice in terms of mixing 'n matching for a layered solution. :doubt:

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This program raises one question for me. Does this mean that MBAM and MBAE are not effective toward ransomware.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

MBAE is not designed to combat such malware or behavior. I guess MBAM is, that's why they are testing this as standalone thingie and then they'll integrate it into MBAM.

24. paulderdash

25. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

You do realize that basically you're saying that you don't need the anti-ransomware module in HMPA, because it already has anti-exploit? People should not forget that exploits are not the only way to get infected, manually installing malware is always an option, even for experienced users.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.