Malwarebytes Anti-malware (paid version), your opinions pro and con

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by allizomeniz, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I believe this is the whole, concise database.

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Pros:
    STRONG realtime protection.
    Updated against the latest malware (take a look at MRG 0-day tests).
    Gets the malware normal AV-doesn't catch (rouges etc)

Cons:
    Large update files (bad for those with mobile Internet at home)

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Pros:
    Compatibility with almost all AVs.
    Effective real-time protection.
    On-execution.
    Includes good IP blacklist.
    Life-time license.

Cons:
    Poor self-protection.
    No password protected settings.
    Wastes bandwidth updating entire definition.
    Resource usage is okay, but not low.
    Website Blocking has tons of false positives.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  4. malexous

malexous Registered Member

What aspect of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does this refer to?

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Awesome program, and cheap for a life time license. It's a no brainer IMO.

6. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I really like MBAM. Its real-time protection is very strong, plus it gives no impact on the computer, not only for one reason: it has no need for me. So I get it on demand.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

In case you missed it, MBAM President & CEO said three days ago that incremental updates are coming in the next version.

My own experience with MBAM has been completely positive.

While some complain about the way program updates perform (the installer doesn't remember the current definitions database and makes users reload them after a version upgrade), others are willing to overlook that fault... I think it's a minor inconvenience at worst. It will also probably soon be changed, thanks to the constructive criticism.

MBAM strikes me as a powerful tool to have on my machines. I own a couple licenses (believe strongly in supporting development), and one of my goals when mixing and matching security programs is to settle on components that run well with it, so that I can take advantage of its strength. I have in the past had combinations that seemed to result in MBAM slowing things down, and I have had to disable the real-time protection module. I currently run it real-time on two computers alongside VIPRE AV, with firewalls that have their HIPS components turned off. For me, that seems like the key to MBAM being able to run real-time without any noticeable performance dings.

They say that perception is everything with security programs ("use what makes you feel safe"), and to a large extent, I agree with that concept. MBAM builds on that overall feeling of safety. I thoroughly appreciate the way they handle their business (meaning their customer relations leaves nothing to be desired), and when I'm not using it, I'm thinking about what I need to do differently in order to get back to it.

:isay: :D ;)

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This is a good improvement although I must say that when I update manually MBAM, Avira, and Vipre, MBAM is the fastest in terms of download speed, therefore I've never seen it as a negative aspect.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Agree that update speeds are impressive.
    I wonder if the More Tools section (which at present should be named simply "Tool") is ever going to have any new additions? ;)
    MBAM More Tools.jpg

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it's good here;)

11. shadek

shadek Registered Member

As this isn't turning into a pure pros & cons-thread, I'll just add my opionen aside from my previous post (#27) in this thread.

The GUI is simple and clean. It gives you the good, warm, Windows 95 feeling. Perhaps in the future the users could add skins to their precious little MBAM on their own? :)

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The Pros have all been mentioned here, but I only have a question. MBAM will notify me when definitions haven't been updated in 4 days in my case. However, in a previous paid version a while ago I could sware that definitions were downloaded automatically in my paid Pro version. Am I right? If they can, will someone tell me what I need to do to make it happen? :)

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think by default MBAM will update once a day, provided that its protection module starts with Windows. I have set it to update hourly - Main GUI/Settings/Scheduler Settings.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

same here also from there you can edit it so it can run a quick scan

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sorry, corrected.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Osaban, Thanks for the info. I went to scheduler settings and finally figured out how to ADD scheduled automatic definition updates. :D

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

twl845 you're welcome!

18. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I don't see that updating the whole file each time is a con, since it only takes a few seconds in the background, and it's easy to choose the time to update and frequency. But I have a fast connection.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I don't see how it's a pro either, especially from their side. Imagine the bandwidth costs.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You'd think. I mean, sure, it's a small file size, but this is several times per day, per user. This will sound derogatory, though it's not meant that way, but, they're really not that big of an organization I don't think and who knows how many users they have. I personally don't care about file size, but many have no choice but to worry over it. Plus, to me it is a little silly to download the entire thing several times per day. That's not exactly efficient, so I'll welcome the incremental updates while I still run it real-time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.