Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LagerX, Mar 24, 2014.

1. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

KIS has Trusted Applications Mode, which is far more powerful than any number of additional real-time scanners. But let's get back to Malwarebytes.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Are we close to a ver.2 upgrade that fixes the bugs? :doubt:

3. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

probably will be this week.

4. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

Thanks for the answers. ;)

5. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Malwarebytes 2.0 Test and Review
    Part 1 shows install and prevention of zero day malware samples.
    Part 2 shows removal of malware present on PC and what went wrong.
    Part 3 shows taking advice (comments) from users (Hyper Scan followed by custom scan)
    and what happens next...
    Part 4 is forthcoming.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrizos

Maybe using Malwarebytes 1.75 until they get the bugs worked out. What do you think?
    ~ De-linked URL - JRViejo ~

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I upgraded the freeware MBAM from 1.75 to the new version on my Win 7 x64 desktop and it was fine. Unfortunately my box is now in the shop due to an unrelated hardware problem. So, I uninstalled 1.75 from my Vista laptop as there was no prompt to upgrade and downloaded the 2.0 release just in case of any problems. It worked fine but there is no context menu scan now. Surely this defeats the purpose of an on-demand scanner. Now, I don't want to slag-off the excellent freeware that MBAM is, or good freeware in general, but I like to scan anything downloaded to ease my paranoia. SUPERAntiSpyware (which I used for many years) still has this ability.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Try General Setting and make sure Explorer context menu entry is ticked.

8. Daveski17

Thank you stapp, that worked. Next time I'll check the GUI menu more thoroughly lol. Much appreciated. :thumb:

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

This has NOT been my experience. So far I've found mbam support to be unprofessional [to say the least] at best. :cautious:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  10. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Yet more evidence that my situation regarding this same problem was the norm and not the exception. That one person (in this thread) that claims it was checked by default for him is the only person I've seen yet to make that claim. So I'm guessing they're mistaken and checked it and just don't remember. So yes, this is indeed a flaw and should be checked by default.

It's the main reason I use MBAM Free... for files larger than 32 MB that VT Hash Check won't scan, or that aren't in their database. You could always do a custom scan too and specify the location, but that's more work.

What I don't like though is how wide the entry is in the context menu. It used to be nice and narrow... now it's twice as wide when I right click on things. I think simply "Scan with MBAM" would suffice instead of that long, drawn out entry. So not a "bug", but a suggestion to fix that. I like to keep things tidy, and don't have a bunch of crap on my context menu. Just the normal stuff, Run Sandboxed, and Check File Hash.

11. Daveski17

Yes, if you installed 'over the top' it will have the context menu as usual. I installed and uninstalled MBAM twice then even restarted my laptop to see if there was a context menu. If stapp hadn't told me I think I would be running SAS on my laptop now lol!

12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

SAS?
    I wonder why people still use that...

13. shadek

shadek Registered Member

MBAM 2 _STILL_ starts itself and real-time protection seemingly at random even though I've turned off the option to start with Windows sooooo many times now. As soon as I notice lag when starting applications, I just look in the systray and notice that MBAM has started itself yet another time... and real-time protection too.

I'm starting to think I was better off with a free license. At least that one wouldn't slow my PC down with real-time protection when MBAM starts at random.

I used to be a power user of MBAM, but now I just can't take it anymore. I'm uninstalling until you've resolved the issue.

Win 8 x64
    WSA
    HitmanPro.Alert

14. Daveski17

It was good once. It doesn't look bad now.

15. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Exact same here. I have one paid lifetime license that will sit and collect dust, and it goes without saying that I will no longer recommend MBAM to all of my friends & family that use me as their computer go-to-guy. Oh well, nothing lasts forever I guess.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am waiting the MBAM folks out. I believe they WILL get it fixed, free of bugs, & back to its status of one of the very best security apps. Semper Fidelis

17. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

I agree.

18. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

I just hope they merge MBAE with MBAM Pro sometime soon and not keep it as a separate software, then ill consider running it realtime if they manage to keep the resource usage down. Have to admit, a little bit disappointed in this regard. Hopefully by then they will have resolved their issues. :doubt: This should bring MBAM back to their former glory.

Regards

19. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

Sadly I find myself in a similar position, the issues I've encountered with the newer 'released' versions (ranging from interface to functionality & performance) have degraded my confidence in this product. I've uninstalled v2 and downgraded to 1.75 for now. Newer isn't always better.

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@TS4H
    Couldn't agree more.:thumb:

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Would you agree that detection and removal are the most important considerations in an anti-malware app? In that regard MBAM v2 is certainly as good and possibly better than v1.75 since it has the integrated rootkit scanner. I've been using v2 in the field quite a bit and it consistently does a good job. There are very few free apps that work as well - in fact there are very few paid apps that work as well. The issues with the UI are secondary IMHO.

22. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Agree to a point V, and if this was a new piece of software still in beta, or just out, then I would have more patience. But to make a new version of 1.75 that is vastly inferior in almost ever way, and do so even though the issues were reported during the beta trial is unacceptable. Like with any software, it's hard to quantify if 2.0's detection is better or worse than 1.75's so for me, I just consider them equal.

If they aren't going to incorporate the changes reported during the beta phase, then why ask people to waste their time testing their product when they already know that they are going to release it in its current config? Last beta I'll do for them.

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I understand that you and others are (rightly) frustrated with the aspects of the program that are not working correctly yet. I don't know why they chose to release v2 before working out more of the issues reported during the beta. Obviously it has caused some backlash and that's unfortunate, but they have promised to fix them, haven't they?

24. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I don't doubt that they'll eventually put things right (as they have in the past) but one cannot blame those who number themselves amongst the "once bitten, twice shy".

Personally, I've not attempted any update from v. 1.75, as I've been running the app on demand for some time now and can afford to wait.

25. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yea, they have, but I have chosen the "show me" line of thinking. My personal biggest gripe is how they changed the real-time protection off behavior of 2.0. With 1.75, I could disable all RTP and all that happens is the tray icon turns grey (perfectly acceptable) and the protection tab (but not the main UI page) gave a nice discreet warning that RTP was disabled.

With 2.0 I disable RTP and suddenly MBAM looks like a piece of rouge software, with a red icon in the try icon, and red warning signs all over the GUI. At the VERY LEAST they need to add an option to suppress all warnings that RTP is off for those of us that don't want the RTP, but still want scheduled flash (hyper now I guess) scans and updates.

2.0 went from a companion program to a wanna-be full fledged AV product. Most users that use MBAM are experienced so they need to cater to us (an example would be the option to suppress the stupid RTP is off warnings) and not to the complete beginner, with no way to switch out of "default beginner mode".

I mentioned this during the beta, but apparently I just wasted my time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.