Making the most of multiple NAT routers

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rowmon, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowmon

Rowmon Registered Member

Hello,

I currently have 4 routers (don't ask) that are powerful consumer grade of different brands. All have NAT and Firewall block capabilities. I have them setup as NAT and Firewall enabled on each. It works, but I never got to find out if this is actually secure. The firmware software is also very basic to what the routers are capable of on the hardware end.

I'm currently looking for a possibility of installing pfSense on the custom firmware capable router and leaving the rest as is. If you had multiple routers, two of which had custom firmware capabilities, how would you use them for maximum security and efficiency?

Thank you.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I have multiple routers, each holds its own network.
    That's separation right there, and you get security and efficiency.
    Other than that, one change at a time, and test thoroughly.
    Mrk

3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

How many of your four routers are you using for wirless networking (if any)?

4. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Rowmon, if you feel comfortable in doing so, would you let us know the brands and models of each router you are using? That way I can advise you on firmware options that might be available for you as well as address any security-related router issues that I know of....

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  5. Rowmon

Rowmon Registered Member

Hello, two of the routers are Netgear. One is a cable modem gateway, the other is a high-end model capable of the latest open source firmware. The other two are ASUS one of which is also capable of the latest open source firmware. All are releases of the past couple of years. All have wireless capability and all other modern consumer features. Currently, they're all cascaded through to the same network. I'm not sure this is enough information. I can PM models. :)

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Just a note on/for this thread: I am helping Rowmon via PM (his request) at this time. I will post status updates to this thread as time permits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.