Making a change to an image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by johnnys, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnys

johnnys Registered Member

I know that there is a way of doing this, but I'm not sure how. I have an image of a workstation. I want to modify that image so that I have 24 images. Each image will have a different workstation name and IP.
    Anyone know how I could do this?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You can mount an image as R/W and make changes to any of the files included in the image. So, if you can make your required changes by altering files then you can do it.

Note that TI doesn't actually modify the content of the original image but creates an incremental backup to go along with the original. The incremental backup will contain the changes.

This may or may not work for you since the image contains the drivers and any hardware specific files for the machine it was created on. If your other workstations are not absolutely identical you may have problems. You may also have XP licensing issues.

3. johnnys

I was able to mount the image as drive "F". How do I mount the image as R/W? I'm unable to update the sysprep.inf file the way I currently have it mounted.

Thanks for the help.

4. johnnys

Let me be a little clearer with what I have to do. I want to make changes to the sysprep.ini file and save it as another name. This way we can image the workstations we have and have a copy of that workstation so that we could rebuild it in case of a drive failure.

5. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

In the final setup screen while Mounting an image, you select the Image Mounting Mode - tick either Mount in Read Only Mode, or Mount in Read/Write Mode. Doing this does not change the original file, but saves an Incremental Image of any changes you make, so that, when restored, the changed or deleted files will restore with the changes made.

As to whether this method will allow you to setup other workstations, I have no idea. You may want to use a different Acronis Product, designed for such purposes.

6. seekforever

In the Mount Wizard on the screen after the "assign drive letter" screen, there is a radio button for mounting as read-only or read/write.

I am using TI Home V9.

I trust if you change the name of the sysprep.ini file that whatever needs it will find it under the new name.

7. johnnys

I'm running version 9.0 and I don't see that option. From choosing the drive letter, I go to proceed. Am I missing something? I don't see the radio button.

8. seekforever

Perhaps you are running an older build. I am not sure but I don't think it is a feature that was present in all TI 9 builds. Suggest you download and install the latest if you aren't running it.

9. johnnys

That was it. I updated the version I had and I was able to get the radio button that you meantioned.
    After I make the changes, I fing that I have the original file plus another one that gets generated. Acronis doesn't recognize that this is their file.
    Is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks for all your help.

10. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

If mounting as read/write generated an incremental file where the changes made are recorded - as it should have - you should be able to invoke the Validate tool and upon selecting the first or the second image file you should see in the right hand panel Volume 1 (resp. 2) of a multivolume archive.

When restoring, you first select any one of the two files and on the following screen you have the option to select the full image or the incremental by creation date. At least that's how regular incremental images work.

EDIT: Just performed a test mounting as read/write and yes, it works as above.
    Has your incremental file the same file name as the original full image with just a number 2 added?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  11. johnnys

I did get it working and I created a couple of the workstations images with the updates that it needed.
    I found that the version I had was an older version. I downloaded the workstation trial version and I was able to get it working. I just flew back to NC from LA to spend a couple of days with th family before I have to fly back.

I just tried mounting a couple of images and I keep getting this errror. I don't know what could be causing this one.
    "Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the backup archive"

Thanks,

John

12. johnnys

Here are a couple of screen shots. I'm sure it would help seeing the screens.

Thanks,

John

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.