make spare linux boot flash

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxguy, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxguy

linuxguy Registered Member

I put ubuntu on my computer and it runs most nice. I do have windows running at times also. When I put Ubuntu on the computer I thought it would be a working idea to use a small usb flash to boot linux. It was not hard to do and it is starting my linux fast. I now am thinking what if my family loses my flash and I can not start Ubuntu on my computer. That thought made me now want to make another flash so that I can put a second flash in a hidden place. I backup my linux but I don't have the understanding to create a new second flash. Can a person here help me with this. How can I make another boot flash. I still want to use a flash and not start Ubuntu only with the computer drive.

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

3. linuxguy

I cannot figure it out using this link. I can easy make whole new linux USB to run on its own. I am trying to make simply a new USB to start the linux on my computer already. I don't need linux on usb just the boot start stuff only. Hope that helps to tell what I need if my kids were to lose my original boot usb. If there is something on that link to tell how to make the usb boot stuff I need, can you make it more clear? I feel stupid because this must be easy for some of you. What would I do if my usb got lost? I need a spare.

Edit; more thinking comes to me. Is there a means to use my working usb and just make a bootable copy of it somehow? That is all I need but it must be able to start my linux if the other one gets lost.

4. linuxguy

I find a program named ImageUSB and it works fine. Using this program I save my usb image so that I can easy make a new startup usb using it if I need to. I did it and it is working good. Secret is to use small usb so image made is also small. Image is exact size of original usb. Linux boot only needs very small. 4GB took me 10 minutes to make. I don't need 4Gb but hard to find much smaller around store places. If you guys ever need to make exact copy of usb I like this program. It is even easy for me and I am not smart.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi linuxguy,

Got a link as to where to download ImageUSB?

Thanks,

-- Tom

6. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Glad your question got worked out.

I am still not clear though, what do you mean by "a new USB to start the linux on my computer already". If you already have a working Linux OS on your hard drive, why you need a USB to start the system that is installed on your hard drive?

Do you mean you want to install the Linux OS onto your USB flash drive, and run your installed Linux entirely on your USB? Something like Windows-to-go?

7. linuxguy

I don't have linux booting directly on my computer since the windows system is all encrypted. That program "ties up" the boot part of the drive. I am afraid to mess with it. Linux cannot see the windows because of encryption. So I put linux on drive (different partition) but select to start up linux by using usb start instead of having linux start from only the computer. I do this so I don't take a chance on hurting windows stuff. I backup linux and can fix it easy if something goes wrong. I just needed to be able to make another start flash in case my family loses my usb. Now I have all backed up and can make another start usb if needed. I am feeling better.

I was asked where to get this program. Here are some places to read and get it.

http://www.osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

http://download.cnet.com/ImageUSB/3000-2192_4-75338329.html

8. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I assume he has /boot on a USB drive. I do this as well, for security on an encrypted system. I used to do a dd and then grub-install, but if this program does the whole shebang at once, I may give it a whirl, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.