MAKE-SHIFT "SLIPSTREAMED" XP PRO, SP2 and UPDATES

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cortez, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I am not very computer savvy but want to slipstream XP PRO with SP2 and all current UPDATES on a self-booting disc. Since I am not capable of this yet (or in the foreseeable future) I bought True Image 10 to make a make-shift DVD that contains XP PRO, SP2 and all current UPDATES ( I have used DD10 for this previously but this tethered me to a hard drive and a full disk clone-restore).

Luckily 'Microsoft Updates' does not require a browser as it connects up directly thru 'Windows Updates' on the start menu: this allows for a clean platform.

After many failed attempts I finally was able to work it out where I can restore this "Slipstreamed" TI10 DVD to any partition on my hard drive. The only thing I can't figure out is how to "ADD" the "Slipstreamed" XP PRO without using XP's repair console. So my temporary solution was to add the repair console to the boot menu (my acwkward two-fingered typing makes altering the boot.ini file hair raising).

Now I can test different software (I am partial to Trial-ware and Utilities) in a non-cluttered (non-bloatware) environment. If something goes wrong I now can simply restore the partition to it's original state quickly without opening up my computer and swapping cables to restore from a cloned hard disk.

True Image 10's manual sure can be tricky as it assumes too much for beginners (or better put, in my case anyways). In addition to being highly ambiguous, MANY in-between STEPS are completely missing. Acronis should have a separate manual for the great-unwashed.

The WELL-THOUGHT-OUT, multiple-exampled and SIMPLE approach of a Trade Union "Textbook" comes to mind as a model. (The "For Dummies" books try too hard to be funny: we don't need 'funny' we need detailed recipe-like precision).

In addition a hard copy of this improved manual should come with the boxed version (my old PartitionMagic 4.0 came with a 154 double-paged bound manual in addition to a smaller 61 page manual for BootMagic! Acronis should take a good look at this manual for starters). AHH! the good old days!

Luckily this forum exists with real-world info and solutions (the same can be said about DD10's forum).

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cortez,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are glad to hear that Acronis Software helped you to achieve your goals and you are pleased with work of it. Our team worked hard to create good and reliable software that works fine on many computers in the world.

Also thank you for the comments and suggestions. If you want us to change the behavior of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product (as well as User's Guide), please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software or have any experience to share, please feel free to post it on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You may want to look at these guides https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=168165.

4. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

Just for your knowledge, you can use nLite (see google) that can slipstream any SP or kb into your windows, and even customize your install : include serial, components to include/remove....

Good work, and good luck!

Jaycee

5. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Acronis: Mr. Lsakor thank you for your quick response and invitation to Contribute to the Wish List.

thomasjk: Very good links with good advice: I can see that I have my reading cut out for me, thanks.

jaycee: Wow! Do I have a lot to look forward to (working out nLite will be a real challenge)- I appreciate your suggestion.

--regards, cortez

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.