Major problems with computers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MRSCT, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I just opened the task manager and the usage number is jumping between 73-93. Processes 44. I used Spybot this morning. It had 34 problems. I'm afraid to run spyware. My daughter has been using the computer today under he user name.

My husband said that it depends on how many slots are available to add ram. I guess the slots determine how much memory can be used. He said he didn't now what was available in our Sony.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I think you have some malware on your computer. Have you tried running spybot-S&D and ad-aware SE?

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi MRSCT,

If you go to Crucial Memory, you can find the memory config of your system. All you need is the model number of your Sony.

Nick

4. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

It says that they do not sell Rambus Memory at this time, now what? o_O

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, if it's Rambus, the options are more limited. You could try memorysuppliers.com, they at least appear to stock it. I haven't used them, all my RAM is from crucial.com.

Blue

6. orlisgal

orlisgal Registered Member

Hey there...I'm a little concerned about the "I always try to update the virus and antispyware when it pops up." What do you mean by "when it pops up"? If you are getting pop-up windows that say something to the effect that your computer has spyware one it or is in danger of being hijacked...so "click here" to avoid that from happening...and then it takes you to an unknown URL and has you download "data" files, it could be that you are being conned by a spyware or hijacker into going to their site.

This happened to a friend of mine when he went to visit an adult-only site -- it hijacked his computer. He started getting some pop-up windows that scared him into thinking he had to click on the link to update his spyware and when he did that, it took him to an unknown website that, once he "updated" his spyware...completely messed up his computer...and many of the problems you've discussed were very similar to his. If you know for a fact that the pop-up you're getting is TRULY the one associated w/your anti-virus/anti-spyware program, then I'm sure you're fine, but I just wanted to caution you to research it and make sure, okay? ;)

The only way we were able to fix it was to reformat, as your hubby has done, and then immediately set parameters for all in the household that (a) no one was to visit an adult website; (b) we installed anti-virus software that updates the virus list automatically, so we don't have to think about remembering to do so; and (c) we installed spyware blaster and spyware guard, both set to auto-update and finally; (d) Ad-Aware (NOT to be confused with Ad-ware), which he runs every time after he goes online. Hope this helps you!

7. orlisgal

Whoops -- almost forgot to tell you...also try tigerdirect.com -- they stock Rambus Memory. :D

Orlisgal

8. orlisgal

Hey MRSCT -- also take a look here and read thoroughly: http://news.com.com/Rambus+at+the+root+of+Intel's+memory+troubles/2100-1040_3-240376.html

...and then go here: http://www.intel.com/support/mth/

You might want to do the test as per the last URL to see if it applies to your system!

Orlisgal

9. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I have mcafee and it usually pops up when they want you to update either there antivirus or antispyware. It has been pretty good, it keeps me only of the latest problems. :D

I checked the ram in the control panel. It says that it is 512MB. How much more will I need?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  10. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I did the test and it did not apply to our computer.

11. BlueZannetti

512 MB RAM is plenty for almost all of us.

But just to make sure I understand the situation, earlier you mentioned one PC as having 256 MB RAM, and 2 with 128 MB RAM. Is the 512 MB a revision of one of those numbers? It does matter as far as the advice you're receiving.

Blue

12. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Yes, I listened a relative and when I looked at the control panel it said the one that I said was 256MB RAM is really 512MB RAM. The other 2 are 128MB RAM. The one with the paging problem is 512MB RAM.

13. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi MRSCT,

Just to make sure, what is the amount of RAM you see when you right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Should look something like this.

Nick

Attached Files:

14. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Pentium (R)4 CPU 2.20GHz
    2.19 GHz
    512 MB of RAM

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  15. BlueZannetti

That does change things. At 256 MB the commit charge would have exceeded physical RAM, heavy usage of virtual memory would have kicked in, and a number of the issues you mentioned could have been reasonably ascribed to that.

With 512 MB RAM, you RAM level is fine.

Going through this thread, the following issues seem present:
    • Paging file absent and attempts to fix that fail. Regardless of whats tried paging file remains 0. See here for a possible fix. There's also a way to do a direct registry edit Start>Run>regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Locate the subkey SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management (just go down the path and select the Memory Management entry). On the right hand side, double click the entry PagingFiles. Create an entry with a format such as "C:\pagefile.sys 256 512", leaving the quotation marks out or edit the existing entry. This assumes that pagefile.sys is in the root directory of your C: drive - edit the actual path reflect the state of your machine. This example shown creates a pagefile with a minimum size of 256 MB and max size of 512 MB. Be very extremely cautious in editing the registry, the PC can be readily disabled.
    • Fast user switching is inactive. Fixes are temporary at best. Does this link provide any help?
    • 1.8 GB free, 13.1 GB used, 14.9 GB total Things are a bit tight on space, but should be workable.
    • Processes 48 CPU Usage 41% Is this typical and constantly at this level? This is the one vexing issue. How consistently is the CPU utilization high? Is it always at a high level? Does you ever see it under 10%?
    Are all of these issues still present on this PC?

Blue

16. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I went through the steps that you gave me. It was easier than the microsoft one. I just couldn't understand what they were talking about.

I haven't seen it under 10% maybe if no one has used it, just guessing. I usually see the levels pretty consistant.
    When I do the switching users, the McAfee antivirus always pops up. I click to allow it to go through, but is never changes. I'll have to go back through my posts to see how to solve this problem. I haven't tried to see if the paging file problem is fixed. If I log off for my son, I can't come back to this post.

One more thing: When I reboot my computer, first rows of numbers come up, then the screen with Windows and then it stops. The screen is a reddish color and the light where you turn on the power blinks very little. My husband said that the light should be on continuous. It can take from 15-30 minutes before I see the welcome screen with the users names.

My son really wants to get the user switching fixed. He has things on that are temporary lost. He has to go and start again.
    MRSCT

17. BlueZannetti

This is not typical. Depending on the processes running in the background, you will see periodic spikes in activity. If something like a virus scan is running, that will tend to send the CPU utilization high for the duration of the scan, which can be lengthy. As nick s said earlier, with the system just sitting there (bring up task manager, let the dialog box sit there, don't do anything else), CPU utilization should be in the low single digits, with occassional spikes higher.

To get an idea of which processes are involved in consuming all this time, bring up the task manager and select the Processes tab. From the top menu bar, select View>Select columns. A dialog box appears which allows you to select the specific information to be shown. Make sure the entry entitled CPU time is checked and press OK. Let the system run for a few hours under normal use conditions - don't logoff to a new user - keep the current user on. Bring the task manager back up, select the Processes tab. Click the column heading entitled CPU time twice. This will yield a listing of processes in descending order of net CPU utilization. The System Idle Process should generally be the top entry. The only time this is likely not to occur is when an AV scan has occurred for the entire period time has been integrated. Write down the Image Name of the top 5 processes together with the CPU time and post them here. An example of what you should see is posted below. The fairly high result for the second process kavmm.exe, which is KAV 5.0 WS antivirus, is due to the fact a complete system scan occurred during the overnight hours.

The only circumstances that I know of where Fast User Switching is disabled are if RAM < 64 MB (not a problem for you) or the PC is a member of a domain. But this is an XP Home system, correct? In that case, being part of a domain shouldn't be available. Just to verify - from Start>Settings>Control Panel>System, click on the tab Computer Name, select Change - see that the PC is a member of a Workgroup and that Domain membership is not possible.

That's expected. You'll be able to come back to ongoing work only if you switch users. Logging off closes everything.

Absolutely no way should you see this. The logon should take a couple of minutes tops.

Blue

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      58.6 KB
      Views:
  18. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I said that wrong, when we try to switch users, the only way that you can do that is for one to log off first. There is no other option.

I rebooted the machine after trying to fix the paging file. I went to bed because as I mentioned before it takes 15-30 minutes before the user window comes up. The pop up still comes up stating that there is a paging problem. I really don't like to reboot after completing an operation. Any ideas o_O

19. BlueZannetti

What's the exact message given by the popup box?

Blue

20. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Your system has no paging files or is too small
    To fix go to system>advance tab>performance>settings>advanced tab>change>click custom>then type an initial or maximum file size.

I never new what number they wanted typed in. o_O

21. BlueZannetti

Try the values shown below. This yields the recommended max at 1.5*(physical RAM). Enter those numbers and hit SET, OK

Blue

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
  22. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi MRSCT,

Here are two Microsoft articles worth looking at:

1. Error Message: Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too Small. Here the problem may be that your System account either does not exist or does not have the necessary permission to create and manage the paging file. Follow the instructions given. If you have questions, please ask. The Security tab you are looking for should look like the one below.

2. "Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too Small" Error Message After Windows XP Upgrade. Without getting into the details, you may have a chipset driver issue. Microsoft recommends installing Intel's Application Accelerator. You can download and run the Intel® Chipset Identification Utility and see if your chipset is on this list. If it is, then it might be worth installing Application Accelerator.

Nick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  23. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

We need a little help. I don't know where to find the information in your attached image. I can't find #4 in the paging file question. I'm stuck :(

24. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi MRSCT,

Go Start/Progam Files/Accessories and click on Windows Explorer. Highlight your C: drive under My Computer in the left pane, then right-click and select Properties.

Nick

25. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I don't see the word security, mine says sharing.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.