Major Packet Filtering Problem with KPF 4.2

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sded, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sded

sded Registered Member

I had stopped using KPF 4.1.2 a bit ago because of problems with startup-sometimes it didn't. After reading that KPF 4.2 was near completion, I decided to try it again. No startup problems, everything seemed to work well. Imported my KPF 2.1.5 ruleset without incident, and used it for a few days. Decided to modify some of the rules. SURPRISE. KPF 4.2 does not process the ruleset properly-does not appear to stop scanning the rules when it finds a "deny" rule, but keeps on looking for an "allow" rule. I use avast! with proxies for virus scanning web and mail traffic, and have rules to allow browsers to access the proxy, deny access to those not named previously in an "allow" rule. Kerio ignores this and just sends out the browser connections via the later proxy rule, even it I change the Firefox "allow" to "deny". Tried with several programs, and found things only worked for deny if there was not a later rule that allowed. Unusable and dangerous. Try it yourself.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I recently tried the Kerio 4.2 RC2 beta and also had problems with Avast and Kerio 4. It seems that RC2 has suddently developed some kind of proxy/loopback issue similar to the one Sygate has. KPF did not ask me for permission for IE or Firefox to connect out, just Web Shield, where in previous beta releases, everything seemed to work fine, and KPF asked for permission for both Web Shield AND IE/Firefox to connect out.

I think you will also find gross disobedience to the rules where logging is concerned also. KPF 4.2 just does not log properly.

I do not trust KPF 4.2 at all, and it seems wildly crazy for it to develop ridiculous bugs at this stage of the game, near release. If you ask me, it's one piece of software that's best to stay clear of...

3. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I had tried Kerio 4 since the early betas...I ve given up hope...BSODs,CPU 100%,GUI bugs...I m not surprised it still doesn't work properly.Why,oh,why did they discontinue Kerio 2o_O (which is what i run now).

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think that is the question all of us ask when we see KPF 4...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.