Major Issue Under Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DDoutel, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDoutel

DDoutel Registered Member

I just upgraded to TI10 Home due to the need to support a new Vista machine, an HP9233cl notebook with approximately 40g of used drive space that needs backing up.

I performed the install, applied the TI drivers patch, created a backup location on a network share on my server, created a backup task which specifies a differential backup to that location.

I started this task manually to get the full backup part of the task done while I have some downtime. I've started this task no fewer than a half-dozen times now, due to the fact that TI is telling me after a full hour at least of just sitting there that the imaging task is going to take a FULL DAY plus 16 HOURS!

I've looked in the log for each of the started and cancelled tasks, and each one has a warning that the task's priority has been changed to low. On checking the Vista Task Manager, that doesn't appear to be the case, so TI is doing this internally. What does this warning mean? Is this change in priority what's slowing things down?

Puh-leeeeeeeeeeeze! 1 day and 16 hours to back up a mere 40g??

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DDoutel,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First, please note that the message "Priority changed to Low Priority " just indicates that back up operation runs at low priority. The reason is that the default setting for backup priority is set to "Low". You can change the default settings in Tools -> Options -> Default Backup Options -> Backup priority from the main Acronis True Image window. However, the backup priority can not affect backup creation that much.

Therefore, we would recommend that you make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If you already using the latest build, please do the following to provide us with the information for troubleshooting:

Download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

If the issue still persists, please do the following:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;

- Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;

- Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

In addition, please let us know how long does it take to copy a large file (over 1 GB) to the networked shared folder via Windows Explorer.

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. DDoutel

Acronis,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciare the information RE: the priority.

I'll do as you ask; however, it should be noted that TI8 has been backing up my XP machines in the same manner to the same shared drive on the same network for a year and a half now without a problem in about 6 hours for 50g of data.

I'd say that eliminates the network as an issue, leaving Vista itself or TI10 home as the problem. I hope we get this sorted; it was the reason for my upgrading to TI10.

Sincerely,
    D.T. Doutel

4. DDoutel

Ok, as it turns out, I'm running a backup now; it turns out the NIC was not configured properly, i.e. not negotiating the proper link speed. We're now reporting 52 minutes for the backup to complete; MUCH better than a day and 16 hours.

Sorry to bug you, thanks for your replies. I think we're ok here, now. :thumb:

Duane Doutel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.