Magic downloads ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by StevieO, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I've recently noticed that any interupted downloads, due to a temporary loss of connection, now automatically get resumed on reconnection ? I'm not complaining lol, but this never used to happen as i would always have to start over again. Before i got broadband i had to use a very good download manager, now uninstalled, that would pick up where it left off, if ever there was a problem.

So as i havn't changed my OS etc, and i'm only using the inbuilt normal windows integrated download software, what could possibly have enabled this miracle to start happening ?

StevieO

2. StevieO

Shameless bump !

I'm surprised no one can shed any light on why this might have started happening ? If you can i'm all ears to all suggestions.

StevieO

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I had the same experience with downloading MP3's, using winMX.
    WinMX is even able to download ONE MP3 from two or more different sources, which was even more surprising for me and it could finish an interrupted download as well.
    This happened a few years ago, because I don't download MP3's anymore.
    I think your experience isn't something new, maybe you never noticed it before.

4. StevieO

Hi Erik, thanks for responding. I believe it is something new that's only quite recently started happening, otherwise i wouldn't have needed the download manager app before ! So i'm still wondering how it's changed itself, especially as i don't do updates from MS, but manually change whatever i feel i need.

StevieO

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Wat is that?
    IE,s download manager? It has no resuming capability as I know.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Perhaps you are right, I'm not really familiar with download managers, never used them. I only can tell about my experiences with winMX.
    After four months I stopped with downloading MP3's, it bored me and the fun with winMX was over. :)

7. StevieO

aigle

Yes it's the normal windows inbuilt downloader, that's why i can't figure it's suddenly changed into a nice helpful resumer, like it always should have been in the first place ?

StevieO

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

How come? It has no function like this at least on dial up, it can,t be related to dial op or DSL.
    I am surprised. Can,t beleive this. Can u post a snapshot?

9. StevieO

aigle

I wish i had something to show you, but all that happens is, after a disconnect i click on the same download link again, and it just carrys on where it left off. No new dialogue boxes or advisories etc etc, just exactly as usual but continuing from the position it stalled at ! The first time i noticed this i expected the downloads to be corrupted, but every one has been perfect, and i'm talking about dozens and dozens of them.

StevieO

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

seems to eb some good spyware, lol!!

11. StevieO

There can't be too many explanations as to why this can be happening. A few i can think of are, man in the middle, ISP etc, grabbing the data holding on to it and resuming it. But that sounds a bit far fetched i know, or is it lol ?

StevieO

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s really strange, hard to beleive, I wonder if any body can explain it.

13. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

The only thing I can think of has to do with the site you are downloading from. They would have to support "resuming" the the download. It dose`t matter what Browser or D\L manager (if you used one). If the site you are getting it from dose not support it, it is not going to happen.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, but it must be bilateral. most download server suport resuming but if ur download manager does not support it is of no use.

15. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

This is normal behavior AFAIK, if I download a file and cancel it, and then resume it again, the IE standard downloader will resume the download in most cases.

16. StevieO

Yes i've always expected that sites need to have to support resuming and be bilateral. What i'm experiencing lately has never been normal IE/Windows downloading behaviour, at least not for me. The only times this used to happen was when i did have a DL manager app, which i uninstalled ages ago and before a reinstall !

StevieO

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Not that it will probably matter but what is your OS ?

Regarding the etc....does that mean there has also been no browser change or browser version change....as in did you go from IE 5X to IE 6 ?

18. StevieO

Hi Bubba,

No changes to IE6/OS still the same "old" lol 98se, but running just fine and securely as ever. I don't consider this issue a problem as such, in fact just the opposite it's a bonus ! Just can't figure out how/why it's started hapening ?

StevieO

19. StevieO

Update

I did a not very often these days, scan with Ad-Aware yesterday, and the only thing of note it found was this.

{E15E9AD1-8F20-4CC4-9EC7-1A328CA86A0D} IWMPDownloadManager

Win32.TrojanClicker Object Recognized!
    Type : Regkey
    Data :
    TAC Rating : 10
    Category : Malware
    Comment :
    Rootkey : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Object : software\microsoft\downloadmanager

I presumed it's a FP as no other App of mine detects anything, plus i did some online scans too. Just a funny coincidence i expect, that the only thing it found happened to be in the microsoft\downloadmanager area !

StevieO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.